There are 578 users in the forums
Kawakami: Alex Smith is Good Just In Time to Play Somewhere Else
Dec 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM
- rlott42
- Veteran
- Posts: 62
good god, if we would have to be the dumbest organization ever to give that up for Kolb. Hell, Jay Cutler didn't cost that much. McNabb who started over Kolb was a 2nd. I'd rather give up the 2 1sts and get Vick when he's Franchised/Transitioned.
Dec 14, 2010 at 3:46 PM
- fakers23
- Member
- Posts: 1,715
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:Originally posted by Oakland-Niner:
Come on guys! Dont give up on Alex yet. He was nominated as the FEDEX ground player of the week. That's got to be good enough for at least one more year in a Niners uniform...
It's only 1 week...The only way I accept Alex back is he made it to NFC Championship..
Dec 14, 2010 at 3:49 PM
- dj43
- Moderator
- Posts: 38,437
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:No offense taken. I was only quoting what I have heard and read multiple times about what Philly is asking. It is relevant, therefore, that we note no one has ponied up the two #1s. I wouldn't make that trade and hope the 49ers don't either.Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:I don't mean to pick on you, or this post, since I already responded to it, however, I just heard Clark Judge of CBS Sports interviewed on KNBR. Judge is a pretty good football guy who watches the NFL pretty closely. His opinion on the bolded part of you post is worth noting.Originally posted by VA9erfan:
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.
Honestly, do you really think it's going to be impossible to find someone who:
~can do better than 18-30 as a starter?
~has a career passer rating of 71?
~has a career completion % of 56.9?
~has thrown 52 picks to 49 TDs?
~has 85 turnovers in 51 games played
~has never won more than 7 games in a season as a starter?
Is this all Alex's fault? Of course not; he's had to deal with things that few rookie/young QBs have had to...and I actually like Alex as a person and as a man. But there comes a point where Smith fans have to look at the player and see him for what he's done. And what he's done is not pretty.
Findng someone to do better than Smith will not be as difficult as you (and many others) make it seem. It's time to move on (both for him, and for the team).
Rod Brooks asked him directly about the chances of getting Kevin Kolb next year, or if there was someone else that would be of that same level of player that could step in with the 49ers next year.
Judge replied at two levels; one, that the Eagles might be forced to trade Kolb if they give a lot of money to Michael Vick (which everyone believes they will), and two, that there isn't any other backup QB around the league now that would be anywhere close to Kolb quality.
So that comes back to a point I made in one of this ridiculously long string of Alex Smith/QB threads.Alex is as good or better than any FA they might get to replace him so making an attempt to keep him at least until a rookie can get ready.
The other option is one I don't want to consider because it involves meeting Philly's asking price of a #1 in 2011 and at least a #2 in 2012 for Kolb. (I have read Philly really is asking for two #1s.) If that were to happen, it would set this team back another 2 years at the least.
As you said, this team is not as close to the playoffs (except for making it as the NFC West winner) as some think. If they are forced to give up on Alex completely it means they will be forced to use their #1 pick on a QB. That means that pick better be darn good very soon because without a pass rusher to protect a weak secondary, this defense is going to give up a lot of points and will need a VERY good QB that can put enough points on the board to offset the defensive shortcomings.
As Judge said, if you have the #1 overall pick and you miss and that guy doesn't turn out to be the guy, it sets the team back a minimum of 5 years. It doesn't really matter that Smith couldn't have been managed worse, the time to pay for that mistake is now upon us.
So there you have it. The question is; are the 49ers willing to give up two #1 picks for Kevin Kolb, or do they use those picks on a rookie like Cam Newton and try to get by with some combination of Troy and Nate?
Tough choice.
I like reading your posts, so don't get me wrong, but I think we can all agree two #1's for Kevin Kolb isn't a tough call. It would be downright stupid. We are talking about a guy who, in a good offense, has a career 78 QB rating and 6 total starts. And we are supposed to pay a king's ransom for him?
Fact is teams aren't in the habit of giving away QB talent, that's true. So it boils down to getting it in the draft or giving away the farm via trade. But if we do give away several drafts worth of picks, let's do it for an established passer. The Bears aquisition of Cutler is a fine example.
What I do think is that Philly WILL trade him (if they can agree to a long-term contract with Vick) and will get something like what Ghost suggested above - trade #1s and throw in a #3. I wouldn't give much more than that for Kolb because he isn't as well established as Matt Schaub was when his deal was made to send him to Houston. OTOH, in the QB-starved league, crazy things may happen.
I believe whoever comes in here as GM and/or HC next year will do their very best to protect the first day draft picks as this team needs AT LEAST five new starters next year IN ADDITION to QB if they want to go deep into the playoffs.
Dec 14, 2010 at 3:58 PM
- fakers23
- Member
- Posts: 1,715
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:I don't mean to pick on you, or this post, since I already responded to it, however, I just heard Clark Judge of CBS Sports interviewed on KNBR. Judge is a pretty good football guy who watches the NFL pretty closely. His opinion on the bolded part of you post is worth noting.Originally posted by VA9erfan:
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.
Honestly, do you really think it's going to be impossible to find someone who:
~can do better than 18-30 as a starter?
~has a career passer rating of 71?
~has a career completion % of 56.9?
~has thrown 52 picks to 49 TDs?
~has 85 turnovers in 51 games played
~has never won more than 7 games in a season as a starter?
Is this all Alex's fault? Of course not; he's had to deal with things that few rookie/young QBs have had to...and I actually like Alex as a person and as a man. But there comes a point where Smith fans have to look at the player and see him for what he's done. And what he's done is not pretty.
Findng someone to do better than Smith will not be as difficult as you (and many others) make it seem. It's time to move on (both for him, and for the team).
Rod Brooks asked him directly about the chances of getting Kevin Kolb next year, or if there was someone else that would be of that same level of player that could step in with the 49ers next year.
Judge replied at two levels; one, that the Eagles might be forced to trade Kolb if they give a lot of money to Michael Vick (which everyone believes they will), and two, that there isn't any other backup QB around the league now that would be anywhere close to Kolb quality.
So that comes back to a point I made in one of this ridiculously long string of Alex Smith/QB threads.Alex is as good or better than any FA they might get to replace him so making an attempt to keep him at least until a rookie can get ready.
The other option is one I don't want to consider because it involves meeting Philly's asking price of a #1 in 2011 and at least a #2 in 2012 for Kolb. (I have read Philly really is asking for two #1s.) If that were to happen, it would set this team back another 2 years at the least.
As you said, this team is not as close to the playoffs (except for making it as the NFC West winner) as some think. If they are forced to give up on Alex completely it means they will be forced to use their #1 pick on a QB. That means that pick better be darn good very soon because without a pass rusher to protect a weak secondary, this defense is going to give up a lot of points and will need a VERY good QB that can put enough points on the board to offset the defensive shortcomings.
As Judge said, if you have the #1 overall pick and you miss and that guy doesn't turn out to be the guy, it sets the team back a minimum of 5 years. It doesn't really matter that Smith couldn't have been managed worse, the time to pay for that mistake is now upon us.
So there you have it. The question is; are the 49ers willing to give up two #1 picks for Kevin Kolb, or do they use those picks on a rookie like Cam Newton and try to get by with some combination of Troy and Nate?
Tough choice.
I like reading your posts, so don't get me wrong, but I think we can all agree two #1's for Kevin Kolb isn't a tough call. It would be downright stupid. We are talking about a guy who, in a good offense, has a career 78 QB rating and 6 total starts. And we are supposed to pay a king's ransom for him?
Fact is teams aren't in the habit of giving away QB talent, that's true. So it boils down to getting it in the draft or giving away the farm via trade. But if we do give away several drafts worth of picks, let's do it for an established passer. The Bears aquisition of Cutler is a fine example.
I would give up a 2 or 3 round pick for Kolb,but not a first..
Dec 14, 2010 at 3:59 PM
- susweel
- Hall of Nepal
- Posts: 122,149
Originally posted by fakers23:Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:I don't mean to pick on you, or this post, since I already responded to it, however, I just heard Clark Judge of CBS Sports interviewed on KNBR. Judge is a pretty good football guy who watches the NFL pretty closely. His opinion on the bolded part of you post is worth noting.Originally posted by VA9erfan:
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.
Honestly, do you really think it's going to be impossible to find someone who:
~can do better than 18-30 as a starter?
~has a career passer rating of 71?
~has a career completion % of 56.9?
~has thrown 52 picks to 49 TDs?
~has 85 turnovers in 51 games played
~has never won more than 7 games in a season as a starter?
Is this all Alex's fault? Of course not; he's had to deal with things that few rookie/young QBs have had to...and I actually like Alex as a person and as a man. But there comes a point where Smith fans have to look at the player and see him for what he's done. And what he's done is not pretty.
Findng someone to do better than Smith will not be as difficult as you (and many others) make it seem. It's time to move on (both for him, and for the team).
Rod Brooks asked him directly about the chances of getting Kevin Kolb next year, or if there was someone else that would be of that same level of player that could step in with the 49ers next year.
Judge replied at two levels; one, that the Eagles might be forced to trade Kolb if they give a lot of money to Michael Vick (which everyone believes they will), and two, that there isn't any other backup QB around the league now that would be anywhere close to Kolb quality.
So that comes back to a point I made in one of this ridiculously long string of Alex Smith/QB threads.Alex is as good or better than any FA they might get to replace him so making an attempt to keep him at least until a rookie can get ready.
The other option is one I don't want to consider because it involves meeting Philly's asking price of a #1 in 2011 and at least a #2 in 2012 for Kolb. (I have read Philly really is asking for two #1s.) If that were to happen, it would set this team back another 2 years at the least.
As you said, this team is not as close to the playoffs (except for making it as the NFC West winner) as some think. If they are forced to give up on Alex completely it means they will be forced to use their #1 pick on a QB. That means that pick better be darn good very soon because without a pass rusher to protect a weak secondary, this defense is going to give up a lot of points and will need a VERY good QB that can put enough points on the board to offset the defensive shortcomings.
As Judge said, if you have the #1 overall pick and you miss and that guy doesn't turn out to be the guy, it sets the team back a minimum of 5 years. It doesn't really matter that Smith couldn't have been managed worse, the time to pay for that mistake is now upon us.
So there you have it. The question is; are the 49ers willing to give up two #1 picks for Kevin Kolb, or do they use those picks on a rookie like Cam Newton and try to get by with some combination of Troy and Nate?
Tough choice.
I like reading your posts, so don't get me wrong, but I think we can all agree two #1's for Kevin Kolb isn't a tough call. It would be downright stupid. We are talking about a guy who, in a good offense, has a career 78 QB rating and 6 total starts. And we are supposed to pay a king's ransom for him?
Fact is teams aren't in the habit of giving away QB talent, that's true. So it boils down to getting it in the draft or giving away the farm via trade. But if we do give away several drafts worth of picks, let's do it for an established passer. The Bears aquisition of Cutler is a fine example.
I would give up a 2 or 3 round pick for Kolb,but not a first..
I'd give a first rounder for him. He's better then any rookie in the draft, he's ready to play now.
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:04 PM
- 49erFaithful6
- Veteran
- Posts: 40,573
Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:No offense taken. I was only quoting what I have heard and read multiple times about what Philly is asking. It is relevant, therefore, that we note no one has ponied up the two #1s. I wouldn't make that trade and hope the 49ers don't either.Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:I don't mean to pick on you, or this post, since I already responded to it, however, I just heard Clark Judge of CBS Sports interviewed on KNBR. Judge is a pretty good football guy who watches the NFL pretty closely. His opinion on the bolded part of you post is worth noting.Originally posted by VA9erfan:
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.
Honestly, do you really think it's going to be impossible to find someone who:
~can do better than 18-30 as a starter?
~has a career passer rating of 71?
~has a career completion % of 56.9?
~has thrown 52 picks to 49 TDs?
~has 85 turnovers in 51 games played
~has never won more than 7 games in a season as a starter?
Is this all Alex's fault? Of course not; he's had to deal with things that few rookie/young QBs have had to...and I actually like Alex as a person and as a man. But there comes a point where Smith fans have to look at the player and see him for what he's done. And what he's done is not pretty.
Findng someone to do better than Smith will not be as difficult as you (and many others) make it seem. It's time to move on (both for him, and for the team).
Rod Brooks asked him directly about the chances of getting Kevin Kolb next year, or if there was someone else that would be of that same level of player that could step in with the 49ers next year.
Judge replied at two levels; one, that the Eagles might be forced to trade Kolb if they give a lot of money to Michael Vick (which everyone believes they will), and two, that there isn't any other backup QB around the league now that would be anywhere close to Kolb quality.
So that comes back to a point I made in one of this ridiculously long string of Alex Smith/QB threads.Alex is as good or better than any FA they might get to replace him so making an attempt to keep him at least until a rookie can get ready.
The other option is one I don't want to consider because it involves meeting Philly's asking price of a #1 in 2011 and at least a #2 in 2012 for Kolb. (I have read Philly really is asking for two #1s.) If that were to happen, it would set this team back another 2 years at the least.
As you said, this team is not as close to the playoffs (except for making it as the NFC West winner) as some think. If they are forced to give up on Alex completely it means they will be forced to use their #1 pick on a QB. That means that pick better be darn good very soon because without a pass rusher to protect a weak secondary, this defense is going to give up a lot of points and will need a VERY good QB that can put enough points on the board to offset the defensive shortcomings.
As Judge said, if you have the #1 overall pick and you miss and that guy doesn't turn out to be the guy, it sets the team back a minimum of 5 years. It doesn't really matter that Smith couldn't have been managed worse, the time to pay for that mistake is now upon us.
So there you have it. The question is; are the 49ers willing to give up two #1 picks for Kevin Kolb, or do they use those picks on a rookie like Cam Newton and try to get by with some combination of Troy and Nate?
Tough choice.
I like reading your posts, so don't get me wrong, but I think we can all agree two #1's for Kevin Kolb isn't a tough call. It would be downright stupid. We are talking about a guy who, in a good offense, has a career 78 QB rating and 6 total starts. And we are supposed to pay a king's ransom for him?
Fact is teams aren't in the habit of giving away QB talent, that's true. So it boils down to getting it in the draft or giving away the farm via trade. But if we do give away several drafts worth of picks, let's do it for an established passer. The Bears aquisition of Cutler is a fine example.
What I do think is that Philly WILL trade him (if they can agree to a long-term contract with Vick) and will get something like what Ghost suggested above - trade #1s and throw in a #3. I wouldn't give much more than that for Kolb because he isn't as well established as Matt Schaub was when his deal was made to send him to Houston. OTOH, in the QB-starved league, crazy things may happen.
I believe whoever comes in here as GM and/or HC next year will do their very best to protect the first day draft picks as this team needs AT LEAST five new starters next year IN ADDITION to QB if they want to go deep into the playoffs.
Agreed. Philly will trade him and sign Vick to a monster deal. I feel there is no way anyone gets him for less than a #1, there is that much demand for a QB in this league. Is he worth a #1? If he is, I don't think it's with us because, as you mention, we have more needs than just QB.
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:06 PM
- dj43
- Moderator
- Posts: 38,437
Originally posted by susweel:The more I hear about Newton the more intriguing he sounds. He has a lot more upside than the immobile Kevin Kolb. I see Kolb turning out to be another Kerry Collins - a slightly above average QB who will have a long career and play for several teams but never being good enough to really make a difference.Originally posted by fakers23:Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:I don't mean to pick on you, or this post, since I already responded to it, however, I just heard Clark Judge of CBS Sports interviewed on KNBR. Judge is a pretty good football guy who watches the NFL pretty closely. His opinion on the bolded part of you post is worth noting.Originally posted by VA9erfan:
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.
Honestly, do you really think it's going to be impossible to find someone who:
~can do better than 18-30 as a starter?
~has a career passer rating of 71?
~has a career completion % of 56.9?
~has thrown 52 picks to 49 TDs?
~has 85 turnovers in 51 games played
~has never won more than 7 games in a season as a starter?
Is this all Alex's fault? Of course not; he's had to deal with things that few rookie/young QBs have had to...and I actually like Alex as a person and as a man. But there comes a point where Smith fans have to look at the player and see him for what he's done. And what he's done is not pretty.
Findng someone to do better than Smith will not be as difficult as you (and many others) make it seem. It's time to move on (both for him, and for the team).
Rod Brooks asked him directly about the chances of getting Kevin Kolb next year, or if there was someone else that would be of that same level of player that could step in with the 49ers next year.
Judge replied at two levels; one, that the Eagles might be forced to trade Kolb if they give a lot of money to Michael Vick (which everyone believes they will), and two, that there isn't any other backup QB around the league now that would be anywhere close to Kolb quality.
So that comes back to a point I made in one of this ridiculously long string of Alex Smith/QB threads.Alex is as good or better than any FA they might get to replace him so making an attempt to keep him at least until a rookie can get ready.
The other option is one I don't want to consider because it involves meeting Philly's asking price of a #1 in 2011 and at least a #2 in 2012 for Kolb. (I have read Philly really is asking for two #1s.) If that were to happen, it would set this team back another 2 years at the least.
As you said, this team is not as close to the playoffs (except for making it as the NFC West winner) as some think. If they are forced to give up on Alex completely it means they will be forced to use their #1 pick on a QB. That means that pick better be darn good very soon because without a pass rusher to protect a weak secondary, this defense is going to give up a lot of points and will need a VERY good QB that can put enough points on the board to offset the defensive shortcomings.
As Judge said, if you have the #1 overall pick and you miss and that guy doesn't turn out to be the guy, it sets the team back a minimum of 5 years. It doesn't really matter that Smith couldn't have been managed worse, the time to pay for that mistake is now upon us.
So there you have it. The question is; are the 49ers willing to give up two #1 picks for Kevin Kolb, or do they use those picks on a rookie like Cam Newton and try to get by with some combination of Troy and Nate?
Tough choice.
I like reading your posts, so don't get me wrong, but I think we can all agree two #1's for Kevin Kolb isn't a tough call. It would be downright stupid. We are talking about a guy who, in a good offense, has a career 78 QB rating and 6 total starts. And we are supposed to pay a king's ransom for him?
Fact is teams aren't in the habit of giving away QB talent, that's true. So it boils down to getting it in the draft or giving away the farm via trade. But if we do give away several drafts worth of picks, let's do it for an established passer. The Bears aquisition of Cutler is a fine example.
I would give up a 2 or 3 round pick for Kolb,but not a first..
I'd give a first rounder for him. He's better then any rookie in the draft, he's ready to play now.
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:44 PM
- susweel
- Hall of Nepal
- Posts: 122,149
Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by susweel:The more I hear about Newton the more intriguing he sounds. He has a lot more upside than the immobile Kevin Kolb. I see Kolb turning out to be another Kerry Collins - a slightly above average QB who will have a long career and play for several teams but never being good enough to really make a difference.Originally posted by fakers23:Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:I don't mean to pick on you, or this post, since I already responded to it, however, I just heard Clark Judge of CBS Sports interviewed on KNBR. Judge is a pretty good football guy who watches the NFL pretty closely. His opinion on the bolded part of you post is worth noting.Originally posted by VA9erfan:
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.
Honestly, do you really think it's going to be impossible to find someone who:
~can do better than 18-30 as a starter?
~has a career passer rating of 71?
~has a career completion % of 56.9?
~has thrown 52 picks to 49 TDs?
~has 85 turnovers in 51 games played
~has never won more than 7 games in a season as a starter?
Is this all Alex's fault? Of course not; he's had to deal with things that few rookie/young QBs have had to...and I actually like Alex as a person and as a man. But there comes a point where Smith fans have to look at the player and see him for what he's done. And what he's done is not pretty.
Findng someone to do better than Smith will not be as difficult as you (and many others) make it seem. It's time to move on (both for him, and for the team).
Rod Brooks asked him directly about the chances of getting Kevin Kolb next year, or if there was someone else that would be of that same level of player that could step in with the 49ers next year.
Judge replied at two levels; one, that the Eagles might be forced to trade Kolb if they give a lot of money to Michael Vick (which everyone believes they will), and two, that there isn't any other backup QB around the league now that would be anywhere close to Kolb quality.
So that comes back to a point I made in one of this ridiculously long string of Alex Smith/QB threads.Alex is as good or better than any FA they might get to replace him so making an attempt to keep him at least until a rookie can get ready.
The other option is one I don't want to consider because it involves meeting Philly's asking price of a #1 in 2011 and at least a #2 in 2012 for Kolb. (I have read Philly really is asking for two #1s.) If that were to happen, it would set this team back another 2 years at the least.
As you said, this team is not as close to the playoffs (except for making it as the NFC West winner) as some think. If they are forced to give up on Alex completely it means they will be forced to use their #1 pick on a QB. That means that pick better be darn good very soon because without a pass rusher to protect a weak secondary, this defense is going to give up a lot of points and will need a VERY good QB that can put enough points on the board to offset the defensive shortcomings.
As Judge said, if you have the #1 overall pick and you miss and that guy doesn't turn out to be the guy, it sets the team back a minimum of 5 years. It doesn't really matter that Smith couldn't have been managed worse, the time to pay for that mistake is now upon us.
So there you have it. The question is; are the 49ers willing to give up two #1 picks for Kevin Kolb, or do they use those picks on a rookie like Cam Newton and try to get by with some combination of Troy and Nate?
Tough choice.
I like reading your posts, so don't get me wrong, but I think we can all agree two #1's for Kevin Kolb isn't a tough call. It would be downright stupid. We are talking about a guy who, in a good offense, has a career 78 QB rating and 6 total starts. And we are supposed to pay a king's ransom for him?
Fact is teams aren't in the habit of giving away QB talent, that's true. So it boils down to getting it in the draft or giving away the farm via trade. But if we do give away several drafts worth of picks, let's do it for an established passer. The Bears aquisition of Cutler is a fine example.
I would give up a 2 or 3 round pick for Kolb,but not a first..
I'd give a first rounder for him. He's better then any rookie in the draft, he's ready to play now.
Well Newton can turn into the next Jamarcus. You just never know, at least with Kolb there is sample of NFL work to look from. It could work out good if we back to the WCO.
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:50 PM
- SanDiego49er
- Veteran
- Posts: 52,353
If he plays like that for the next 3 games and wins the division, gets us into the playoffs and wins at least 1 game there he likely will be back as our starter.
Dec 14, 2010 at 4:58 PM
- BasharCali49
- Veteran
- Posts: 378
Kawakami is nothing but a douchebag 49er hater.
Dec 14, 2010 at 5:54 PM
- Oakland-Niner
- Member
- Posts: 24,062
Originally posted by fakers23:Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:Originally posted by dj43:Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:I don't mean to pick on you, or this post, since I already responded to it, however, I just heard Clark Judge of CBS Sports interviewed on KNBR. Judge is a pretty good football guy who watches the NFL pretty closely. His opinion on the bolded part of you post is worth noting.Originally posted by VA9erfan:
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.
Honestly, do you really think it's going to be impossible to find someone who:
~can do better than 18-30 as a starter?
~has a career passer rating of 71?
~has a career completion % of 56.9?
~has thrown 52 picks to 49 TDs?
~has 85 turnovers in 51 games played
~has never won more than 7 games in a season as a starter?
Is this all Alex's fault? Of course not; he's had to deal with things that few rookie/young QBs have had to...and I actually like Alex as a person and as a man. But there comes a point where Smith fans have to look at the player and see him for what he's done. And what he's done is not pretty.
Findng someone to do better than Smith will not be as difficult as you (and many others) make it seem. It's time to move on (both for him, and for the team).
Rod Brooks asked him directly about the chances of getting Kevin Kolb next year, or if there was someone else that would be of that same level of player that could step in with the 49ers next year.
Judge replied at two levels; one, that the Eagles might be forced to trade Kolb if they give a lot of money to Michael Vick (which everyone believes they will), and two, that there isn't any other backup QB around the league now that would be anywhere close to Kolb quality.
So that comes back to a point I made in one of this ridiculously long string of Alex Smith/QB threads.Alex is as good or better than any FA they might get to replace him so making an attempt to keep him at least until a rookie can get ready.
The other option is one I don't want to consider because it involves meeting Philly's asking price of a #1 in 2011 and at least a #2 in 2012 for Kolb. (I have read Philly really is asking for two #1s.) If that were to happen, it would set this team back another 2 years at the least.
As you said, this team is not as close to the playoffs (except for making it as the NFC West winner) as some think. If they are forced to give up on Alex completely it means they will be forced to use their #1 pick on a QB. That means that pick better be darn good very soon because without a pass rusher to protect a weak secondary, this defense is going to give up a lot of points and will need a VERY good QB that can put enough points on the board to offset the defensive shortcomings.
As Judge said, if you have the #1 overall pick and you miss and that guy doesn't turn out to be the guy, it sets the team back a minimum of 5 years. It doesn't really matter that Smith couldn't have been managed worse, the time to pay for that mistake is now upon us.
So there you have it. The question is; are the 49ers willing to give up two #1 picks for Kevin Kolb, or do they use those picks on a rookie like Cam Newton and try to get by with some combination of Troy and Nate?
Tough choice.
I like reading your posts, so don't get me wrong, but I think we can all agree two #1's for Kevin Kolb isn't a tough call. It would be downright stupid. We are talking about a guy who, in a good offense, has a career 78 QB rating and 6 total starts. And we are supposed to pay a king's ransom for him?
Fact is teams aren't in the habit of giving away QB talent, that's true. So it boils down to getting it in the draft or giving away the farm via trade. But if we do give away several drafts worth of picks, let's do it for an established passer. The Bears aquisition of Cutler is a fine example.
I would give up a 2 or 3 round pick for Kolb,but not a first..
Depending on the coach I would bet Kolb becomes a total bust for us. The guy has had a chance to learn the same offense for years behind McNabb and Reid. How many games has he actually started? I would just hope he doesn't turn out to be our very own Charlie Whitehurst. Yes, I know. Charlie never took a live snap.
Dec 14, 2010 at 10:33 PM
- fastforward
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,756
Originally posted by bassmanr:Originally posted by djfullshred:
They have to move on. 49ers + A. Smith is just bad chemistry at this point. There is an aura of bad vibes with this association now. Let him blossom somewhere else, and let's get someone that this team will really rally around (and not just say it for the press, like when they talk about Smith).
The best place for Alex would be the Colts and learn from Payton. They run the spread and with some more tutaledge he would grow and take over for Payton as he ages. Kind of like Montana to Young after he was healthy from watching Joe after the pounding he got in Tampa.
That makes sense. The Colts don't really have a good backup QB, and Manning starts to take a pounding now.
Dec 14, 2010 at 10:40 PM
- fastforward
- Veteran
- Posts: 1,756
Originally posted by 49erFaithful6:Originally posted by VA9erfan:
I can't wait for some here to get what they ask for.....A. Smith to be gone. Let's hear YOUR plan for next year if / after he is cut loose.
keep 1 QB from the current roster
draft a QB high (if not 1st than 2nd or no later than 3rd round)
sign a veteran free agent with a lot of NFL starts to compete as starter if the rookie is not ready, or back him up if he is...
an example of this using actual QBs:
Jake Locker
Kerry Collins
Troy Smith
doesn't have to be this, that's just one example...
other possibilites for the draft pick would be Cam Newton, Andrew Luck (if we're lucky lol get it?)
other possibilites for the free agent would be Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb, Matt Hasselbeck, Peyton Manning (yeah right, but a man can dream)
I don't think McNabb will be available. Hasselbeck? You must be joking. And Palmer is not an upgrade over A. Smith. Manning? Yup. You're dreaming.
[ Edited by fastforward on Dec 14, 2010 at 10:42 PM ]
Dec 14, 2010 at 10:44 PM
- toeknee
- Veteran
- Posts: 54,571
maybe a competent coaching staff could make him good
Dec 14, 2010 at 10:45 PM
- backontop
- Veteran
- Posts: 14,346
Originally posted by teeohh:
maybe a competent coaching staff could make him good
That is all ANY player needs.
