LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 292 users in the forums

Kawakami: Alex Smith is Good Just In Time to Play Somewhere Else

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Notorious Smith-Hater Kawakami says that Alex Smith is turning it on as a mature quarterback just in time to go play elsewhere...his argument is why would anyone want to stay with this franchise?

I really, REALLY don't want to see Alex Smith throw for 4,000 yards in Minnesota next year...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2010/12/12/alex-smith-the-return-2/
Kamikaze

The King of hack writers.
I'm telling you right now, if Alex goes somewhere else and starts he'll probably do a pretty decent job and you're going to see a lot of people on this board whinning and complaining. I could see it happening. I've never seen QB in niners history set up for failure like him. But hey, that's the real world.

I'd love if Alex finishes strong and they retain him and then draft a QB in the first or secod round and let the best man win the job. Sort of what San Diego did with Brees and Rivers. Alex is good enough to lead a team to the playoffs at this point in his career. People don't give him enough credit for those long drives he pulled off earlier in the season only for some receiver to fumble or screw it up somehow.
They have to move on. 49ers + A. Smith is just bad chemistry at this point. There is an aura of bad vibes with this association now. Let him blossom somewhere else, and let's get someone that this team will really rally around (and not just say it for the press, like when they talk about Smith).
Originally posted by mustangmele:
I'm telling you right now, if Alex goes somewhere else and starts he'll probably do a pretty decent job and you're going to see a lot of people on this board whinning and complaining. I could see it happening. I've never seen QB in niners history set up for failure like him. But hey, that's the real world.

I'd love if Alex finishes strong and they retain him and then draft a QB in the first or secod round and let the best man win the job. Sort of what San Diego did with Brees and Rivers. Alex is good enough to lead a team to the playoffs at this point in his career. People don't give him enough credit for those long drives he pulled off earlier in the season only for some receiver to fumble or screw it up somehow.

That's basically what's I'm hoping for here:

http://www.49erswebzone.com/forum/thread.php?num=149906

A 2nd or 3rd rounder to push Smith -- Stanzi, Ponder, Devlin, or someone like that. If we strike gold, then so be it. If not, we have a quality starter in Smith.
Originally posted by djfullshred:
They have to move on. 49ers + A. Smith is just bad chemistry at this point. There is an aura of bad vibes with this association now. Let him blossom somewhere else, and let's get someone that this team will really rally around (and not just say it for the press, like when they talk about Smith).

Let Drew Brees go and Draft Phillip Rivers.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by nickbradley:
Notorious Smith-Hater Kawakami says that Alex Smith is turning it on as a mature quarterback just in time to go play elsewhere...his argument is why would anyone want to stay with this franchise?

I really, REALLY don't want to see Alex Smith throw for 4,000 yards in Minnesota next year...

Dude has 2 300 yard games in 6 years, trust me he's not throwing for 4000 yards.

Even if he does who cares, let him be Minnesota's problem.
I'm sure he can do okay in a system where the coaches have half a brain. His time with us is up, regardless of circumstance. Adios, thanks for trying buddy.
Originally posted by susweel:

Dude has 2 300 yard games in 6 years, trust me he's not throwing for 4000 yards.

I agree, the guy just hasn't worked out for the past 5 or 6 years (also not just his fault) time to move one.
Originally posted by AiNoKea:

I agree, the guy just hasn't worked out for the past 5 or 6 years (also not just his fault) time to move one.

5 or 6 years of sh*t coaching, two major injuries, and a poor O-line and still is putting up decent #s (QB rating of 80 - 85).

I know that bothers me too a little. But here's the thing I try and remember... Nolan and Singletary's philosophies. They were both defensive minded and when it came to the offense they leaned towards being conservative. Not too mention all the different OC's (I really hate bringing that up b/c it's like beating a dead horse).

They real question is does Alex Smith have the ability to have a 300+ game? Of course. He did it in college and he's done it in the pros.

5 or 6 years of sh*t coaching, two major injuries, and a poor O-line and still is putting up decent #s (QB rating of 80 - 85).

And hes still looking inconsistent as ever. Hes never started a full season and ended with a 80 QB rating so your argument is flawed.
Time to cut Al loose, he just has too much of a history here, and staying will stunt whatever growth he might still have left in him (or potential).
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

You can make excuses until the cows come home but the fact is it hasn't worked out. Time for the team to move on.

Like it or not but Smith will always represent a failing era of 49ers football. He needs a clean start as do the niners.

You can't keep doing the same thing and expect different results.
Originally posted by mustangmele:

I know that bothers me too a little. But here's the thing I try and remember... Nolan and Singletary's philosophies. They were both defensive minded and when it came to the offense they leaned towards being conservative. Not too mention all the different OC's (I really hate bringing that up b/c it's like beating a dead horse).

They real question is does Alex Smith have the ability to have a 300+ game? Of course. He did it in college and he's done it in the pros.

understatement
[ Edited by dtcomposer on Dec 14, 2010 at 9:35 AM ]
Share 49ersWebzone