There are 215 users in the forums

Mixed feelings on Front Office

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Great. no one wants to coach for us. no one wants to play for us. (free agents) all because of our front office "incompetence". wtf lol when can we ever catch a break.
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Can someone explain what people are referring to when they say we have a bad 'front office 'structure'?

A front office that has brought you eight losing seasons. The same front office that promised you an extensive GM search. The same front office that claimed "money is of no object". The same front office that a loser such as Josh Mcdaniel turned down. I can keep going.
  • vaden
  • Veteran
As many have been saying all along, the biggest problem with this team was not Singletary or Alex Smith but our inept, incompetent front office that Jed saw fit to keep in tact. His team of yes-men. Thanks to the Yorks for taking the NFL's greatest franchise and turning us into the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NFL.
You cannot compare what he should get paid to what other coaches are getting. Its just like the draft where the first pick gets big money without ever playing a snap. You are paying for potential, and you are overpaying because you suck. It is an investment in the future. One NFC Championship or Super Bowl and you can make that money back in multiples.

If he was really their guy, they should have expected that the starting point was Carrol's contract and expected to go up from there. They are not over paying him just because he's great, they're over paying him also because they suck.

To a man standing on the sidewalk and 10 foot piece of rope is worth about $10. To someone drowning in quicksand, quite a bit more.

[ Edited by captnkos on Jan 6, 2011 at 15:53:19 ]
Originally posted by 190836:
Can someone explain what people are referring to when they say we have a bad 'front office 'structure'?

A front office that has brought you eight losing seasons. The same front office that promised you an extensive GM search. The same front office that claimed "money is of no object". The same front office that a loser such as Josh Mcdaniel turned down. I can keep going.

To sum up, "the proof is in the pudding".

This front office has made some pretty crappy pudding, the entire time the Yorks have hijacked this team. Yes, hijacked is the word.
Originally posted by captnkos:
You cannot compare what he should get paid to what other coaches are getting. Its just like the draft where the first pick gets big money without ever playing a snap. You are paying for potential, and you are overpaying because you suck. It is an investment in the future. One NFC Championship or Super Bowl and you can make that money back in multiples.

If he was really their guy, they should have expected that the starting point was Carrol's contract and expected to go up from there. They are not over paying him just because he's great, they're over paying him also because they suck.

To a man standing on the sidewalk and 10 foot piece of rope is worth about $10. To someone drowning in quicksand, quite a bit more.

Of course, another way to look at this is laying down your last $10,000 on a 72-1 nag in the Kentucky Derby, because you need that horse to win to pay off Tony Soprano. Guess what: you just wasted your last $10K, and you're going to end up in the lake anyway. You'd have been better off spending it on the best (last) night of your life...

THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by JaaDogg49:

Originally posted by rob28:

• rob28
  • Veteran
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Lol. Screw Josh McDaniels. He seemed to single-handedly blow up the Denver Broncos into full rebuild mode. He traded Cutler and Brandon Marshall back to back years. Good for us that he would pass on a head-coaching job here. The egomaniac would probably trade Willis and Gore then get fired after two seasons.
I just noticed that Paarag is the EVP. If the title matches reality, it means he's actually 2nd in command after Jed and Trent reports to Paarag. Odd. Am I interpreting this correctly?
Originally posted by monsterzero789:

Well, we WERE 8-8 one season..................

[ Edited by chico49erfan on Jan 6, 2011 at 19:19:46 ]
Originally posted by JayEL49er:
This should make you feel better about our front office:

Quote:
...Questions about the 49ers' current leadership -- specifically whether the team has a winning mix with third-year president Jed York, first-year general manager Trent Baalke and executive vice president Paraag Marathe -- made the head coaching job there less appealing...

SOURCE

And what about this:
Quote:
Yet I believe York’s faith in Baalke, who has modeled much of his approach after Bill Parcells (the Jets’ coach when Baalke got hired in ’98), is the product of some sound sensibilities by the young owner. For one thing, Baalke is regarded by many respected people in the business as a highly gifted assessor of players’ abilities – and one with the guts to stand up for his opinions and go against the grain.

“Trent Baalke is a football guy through and through, with a very good understanding of the game and a very sound evaluation process,” said Falcons general manager Thomas Dimitroff. “And he’s driven – he has a tireless work ethic. He’ll do everything in his power to help restore that organization to prominence.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ms-baalkeninersgm010611
Originally posted by JayEL49er:
This should make you feel better about our front office:

Quote:
...Questions about the 49ers' current leadership -- specifically whether the team has a winning mix with third-year president Jed York, first-year general manager Trent Baalke and executive vice president Paraag Marathe -- made the head coaching job there less appealing...

SOURCE

I dunno... Initially, he signed off on Baalke. I think the reports on his feelings on the front office are speculation. I'm sure he's wary, but I think the amount of power he'll have is intriguing to him.
Share 49ersWebzone