There are 141 users in the forums

Mixed feelings on Front Office

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Hello all,

I was very excited when it looked like Jim Harbaugh might come to the 49ers. He seems like he MIGHT be a successful coach in the NFL and he is offensive-minded, and knows about quarterbacks, one thing that we have lacked here since Garcia left. Then I hear that Miami wants to pay him near 8 Million per year and make him the highest paid coach in the league. Now, while I think Jed was STUPID for saying, 'money is no object', I dont know if I can justify that salary. He is not better then the HC in New England, or other successful teams. Do I think he can be a good coach in the NFL? I do. But he has to prove that first. I see this just like a rookie first round pick getting paid millions on the IDEA that he will be good (ie, Alex Smith). It is a risky business at best. I would love to have Harbaugh here, but the suggested cost is silly.

But what bothers me the most is the lack of business knowledge in the front office. Dont get me wrong, I am not an NFL owner, I dont know how to run a team, but as a business grad, I can tell you that in business deals, I would NEVER say, 'money is no issue' as it gives too much leverage to the other party, and would make me look stupid if a deal is not made. It is little things like this that make me question Mr. York. Another thing that makes me question him, the whole McDaniels thing. Wow. As for our new GM, I am willing to wait and see as he may be good. However, I really was hoping for an 'outsider' to bring in a new perspective and mindset. If he is just another extension of the same mindset of the owner, then I dont know what our future holds, sadly.

I will always be a 49er fan, but I fear that things may get worse before they get better. And after this past season, that scares me. I picked the wrong week to quit meth, crack, and heroin...haha.
This should make you feel better about our front office:

Quote:
...Questions about the 49ers' current leadership -- specifically whether the team has a winning mix with third-year president Jed York, first-year general manager Trent Baalke and executive vice president Paraag Marathe -- made the head coaching job there less appealing...

SOURCE

Originally posted by JayEL49er:

Quote:
...Questions about the 49ers' current leadership -- specifically whether the team has a winning mix with third-year president Jed York, first-year general manager Trent Baalke and executive vice president Paraag Marathe -- made the head coaching job there less appealing...

SOURCE

Anyone surprised by this?
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by maximill15:
Originally posted by JayEL49er:

Quote:

SOURCE

its not a good sign when things like this get printed. There is SO much for this ownership to overcome - all their own doing. Shut up and go to work.

IF Baalke is THE guy fine...
IF Harbaugh is THE guy then pay him...

and lets hope that they are THE guys.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Getting snubbed by Josh McDaniels? He should be happy to be anyone's 2nd choice.
i can tell you i know exactly how i feel about our front office. not mixed at all.
This franchise WILL NOT be good again until we get new ownership.
Mixed feelings would involve an iota of positive feelings. I feel nada.
Mixed =
hatred
nausea
disappointment
gloom

How can you possibly have "mixed feelings?" What has the front office done for you to even have a shadow of hope or affection for them? You should only have one kind of feeling towards our front office until they do something worthy of praise.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
All quotes from an NFL.COM article, all VERY depressing:

"..several people close to Harbaugh have advised him against going to the 49ers because of their front-office structure, he has received more favorable reports on Ireland and the Dolphins."

"The 49ers, through the process of interviewing general managers, heard sterling recommendations for former Denver Broncos coach Josh McDaniels and consider him a strong head-coaching candidate. However, a source close to McDaniels said it's highly unlikely he would go to San Francisco because of issues with the personnel and front-office structure."

"Had the 49ers changed their structure and been willing to hire an outside GM, and meet the financial threshold that Harbaugh is commanding on the market, they could have built a dream staff, according to sources."

We should have hired Lombardi instead of Baalke.
Can someone explain what people are referring to when they say we have a bad 'front office 'structure'?
Why is anybody surprised? I've been saying this for years. York run front office is Amateur hour at it's finest.

• BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by SanFranAddic:
Can someone explain what people are referring to when they say we have a bad 'front office 'structure'?

That is a nice saying for cheaply paid inept morons.
Share 49ersWebzone