Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Originally posted by 9ersnation:
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by SJniner7:
He only seems to have bad games when Alex is QB

ya, i said it!

And Vernon only has bad games when Troy Smith is QB. And good games for Vernon when Alex Smith is QB. Different chemistry and trust for different guys.

I agree with that one 100%

ya, i said it!

And Vernon only has bad games when Troy Smith is QB. And good games for Vernon when Alex Smith is QB. Different chemistry and trust for different guys.

Did Vernon had 4 for 79 against STL and 4 for 126 with a TDagainst GNB? Just sayin...
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I wonder if there's something personal between AS and Crabtree...

I think I remember Crabtree kinda hinting at talking trash and never seemed to be in the game until Troy was playing.

Yeah, like 4 or 5 Ints' worth of something.

I find it laughable that people say that Tree started performing better with Troy.

Yeah he got that grab in the End Zone in the last Loss. But it should have been overturned. Only McCarthy didn't challenge it. Didn't matter to them none anyway, right?

The point is Tree was no more productive with Troy than with Alex.

IMHO, If I throw you the ball and you fail when the ball is in your bubble and you do this consistently, I won't be throwing in your direction much later in the season. Tree fell on his face 4 times costing the QB turnovers. Turnovers that got him booed by the fans. He also tipped 2 of them into the hands of the Defenders. One of them caromed off his own Shoulder pad. Now he's not the only reason Alex was not back on the field after getting healthy, but if I'm Alex and I know you ain't doing you're job and you're making me look bad? Yeah, I'm gonna go out of my way to throw more in your direction. Not.

I don't hate Tree, it's too early to tell one way or the other. But at this point in THIS season Tree didn't do him or his QBs' any favors. A true WR1 will get their catches be damned what the Defense does to stop them. Tree is not at that level yet. Hope he gets there but this season is not encouraging.

~Ceadder

ya, i said it!

Did Vernon had 4 for 79 against STL and 4 for 126 with a TDagainst GNB? Just sayin...

His bigger games and the bulk of his #'s are with Alex Smith. Sure you can find 1 or 2 games with Troy Smith. But he can disappear completely too under Troy Smith. Not so much under Alex who really trys to get him the ball. Troy likes Crabtree. Alex likes Vernon. It's obvious if you just watch the games.
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Yes. He came in with a lot of expectations. I was SO stoked when we were able to draft him. But he has not lived up to those expectations regardless of whatever excuses you want to make for him.

The biggest thing to me is ALL the drops... and how many INT's have come off balls that deflected off his hands? I forget what it was but he was among the league worst in drops last year despite missing 6 games. Great WR, which is what we all believe he is/was/could be/ make the tough catches... they are players that you can throw a pass to and expect them to make a play and catch a difficult pass. Crabtree has not done that at all. I think all the INT's that have come off his hands are another factor as to why A.Smith doesn't throw his way... Vernon drops some ball too, but not as many have gotten picked off.

The other factor is his work ethic... which it appears is completely lacking - Remember Vernon going off on him?? He will never be great as long as he continues to think that he can get by on his talent alone and doesn't work hard.

I think there is still hope for him, but other WR's from that draft have surpassed him.
Hakeem Nicks
Kenny Britt
Percy Harvin
Austin Collie
Jeremy Maclin

ya, i said it!

His bigger games and the bulk of his #'s are with Alex Smith. Sure you can find 1 or 2 games with Troy Smith. But he can disappear completely too under Troy Smith. Not so much under Alex who really trys to get him the ball. Troy likes Crabtree. Alex likes Vernon. It's obvious if you just watch the games.

Oh, I definitely agree! I was "just sayin..."

I did notice that Crabs goes and sits next to troy on the bench after the offense gets off the field. Not sure if they have fixed locations to sit or what. just an observation though...
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
1.He's in a s**tty system (where the passing game bares no rhythm/reason).

2. Has a s**tty WRs coach in Jerry Sullivan (who has yet to produce/sharpen a WR into something close to a Pro Bowler).

3. Doesn't have a top 5 QB throwing to him (nor has he had one WR to stick with to grow chemistry around).

He drops more balls than he catches. I played WR in high school and I feel like I would have been put on the pine for dropping half of the balls he has this season.

You an me both brotha, you an me both. You drop the kind of Passes that he's dropped on my team you would be lucky to get on the field on ST the next week and had to get yourself out of Coach's underground doghouse.

I wouldn't say you were dead to Coach, but you were definitely on an island in the middle of nowhere as far as he was concerned.

~Ceadder
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:

2. Has a s**tty WRs coach in Jerry Sullivan (who has yet to produce/sharpen a WR into something close to a Pro Bowler).

3. Doesn't have a top 5 QB throwing to him (nor has he had one WR to stick with to grow chemistry around).

He drops more balls than he catches. I played WR in high school and I feel like I would have been put on the pine for dropping half of the balls he has this season.

You an me both brotha, you an me both. You drop the kind of Passes that he's dropped on my team you would be lucky to get on the field on ST the next week and had to get yourself out of Coach's underground doghouse.

I wouldn't say you were dead to Coach, but you were definitely on an island in the middle of nowhere as far as he was concerned.

~Ceadder

Ha not to go off on another tangent... but in HS i once missed a pass that I dove for, went off my fingertips... We had to run for every drop... a drop is any ball that hits your hand(s) and you don't catch... we ran for that - AND I was an RB!

It's unaceptable for him to have so many drops... he should be making impressive catches in traffic... I don't recall him having this problem and TTech...

ya, i said it!

Oh, I definitely agree! I was "just sayin..."

I did notice that Crabs goes and sits next to troy on the bench after the offense gets off the field. Not sure if they have fixed locations to sit or what. just an observation though...

I think Tree is bein straight bish. This could get out of hand if Sing doesn't step in. There is NO reason your WR1 is over sitting with the backup. NO REASON.

If he has a problem with the Starter then he should suck it up and fix his issues and do what he's supposed to do on the field. Alex cannot keep throwing in his direction when Tree keeps failing. Jerry didn't go sit next to the Backup when he and Steve weren't in sync. He worked on his game and got used to catching Passes that had a bit more zip and a different rotation on the throws.

Now I do not know if this is true. I have no reason to doubt you. I have no reason to doubt Tree. But IF this is true then Tree we don't have time to mollycoddle you because you feel slighted. There are pleny of kids that would love to be where you are at right now. Even playing for this team. I woulda sold a kidney to play for the Red and Gold.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
I am beginning to think that Crabtree is overated and will never be the game changer we hoped he would become.

He was all but invisible today, except for the 2 or 3 passes he dropped. Isn't he supposed to have great hands.

He also doesn't have the speed required to get behind DBs or get open consistently. Maybe that's why he pulled up lame at the combine and didn't run.

I am not calling him a bust, just overated.

agree with this

Sounds a lot like CrabtreEXCUSES.

But they are true. Sure he drops some passes but so does Miles and TO, he doesn't get targeted enough at all and we don't really pass. s**tty system for a wr to be in plus he's only in year 2
  • Pick6
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

But they are true. Sure he drops some passes but so does Miles and TO, he doesn't get targeted enough at all and we don't really pass. s**tty system for a wr to be in plus he's only in year 2

How many drops would he have if he was getting as many targets as Miles and TO? His drops to to target ratio HAS to be the worst in the league.

I wouldn't throw his way for fear that he would tip it to the other team and then I would get booed by my hometown fans...
Originally posted by Pick6:
Originally posted by ninersrule4:

How many drops would he have if he was getting as many targets as Miles and TO? His drops to to target ratio HAS to be the worst in the league.

I wouldn't throw his way for fear that he would tip it to the other team and then I would get booed by my hometown fans...

yep
There were four plays today that were eye openers. Two passes for Morgan and two for Crabtree that were almost identical. Morgan caught his, Crabtree missed his, with one hitting him in his hands. I was amazed because Morgan has been the odd man out and Crabtree has incredible hands. Makes me wonder about Crabtree's attitude. The 9ers need to draft a WR high this year to give Crabtree something to worry about. Get to every practice and work your butt off so the team can count on you!
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
There were four plays today that were eye openers. Two passes for Morgan and two for Crabtree that were almost identical. Morgan caught his, Crabtree missed his, with one hitting him in his hands. I was amazed because Morgan has been the odd man out and Crabtree has incredible hands. Makes me wonder about Crabtree's attitude. The 9ers need to draft a WR high this year to give Crabtree something to worry about. Get to every practice and work your butt off so the team can count on you!

Crabtree doesn't try as hard when Alex is in there.
Share 49ersWebzone