There are 647 users in the forums

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by excelsior:
The system often plays a role in how well a WR performs.

This is true.

However that's no excuse for lack of preparation on the part of the Receiver.

~Ceadder
Or the lack of accuracy on your quarterback..

ur not watching the game it hits him right on the hands

I haven't missed a game since 1978, so yes I have seen the games and I will be the first to say that a lot of balls hit Crabtree in the hands and bounce off and he should pull them in. It's amazing the way he can "snatch it" out of the air and tuck it quicker then most receivers.

BUT... I will also say that "a lot" of Alex's throws are in front, in back, high, and low, and you have to admit that.
ths is what happens when you have a team with multi stars on it someones numbers have to go down and crabs is the fall guy
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
bad ball placement.

It's called cryptorchidism.

Although, I'd swear he's dropped more than two balls....

He must have more than six testicles. That's the only possible explanation.

Ok, honest opinion... is this just too obtuse or is it just not funny?

I thought it was rather witty....

"Ball placement" meaning his testicles haven't dropped. He's dropped 6 passes according to stats inc. so if he still hasn't dropped all of his testicles, he must have more than six. Get it?

Yeah, that was obtuse, wasn't it....

I gave a link to the Mayo clinic definition, though.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by YungAce:
if anything joe staley is overrated...

a lot of niners are overrated, that's why the team isn't very good. Even Willis this year hasn't been great.

Depends on your definition of "great". His coverage has improved and he is being utilized in that area more this season. Passes just don't often come his way. He also has five sacks, which is quite a lot for a linebacker in the role he plays.

He did get run over on Sunday, though.... I don't think I've ever seen that happen.
Originally posted by dj43:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Cant accurately assess his talent until we get a real quarterback throwing to him. Will have to wait until next year for that....

That statement disregards what experts like Brian Billick who note that he still runs sloppy routes.

This! I think once he learns how to run his routes at a steady speed, instead of being so erratic, he will be catching more passes. Him being so erratic causes the qb to wonder when to throw it to him and that's when bad things happen. He is a beast once the ball is in his hands though, so please Mr. Crabs work on your route running!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:

Davis 49 rec Gore 46 Crabs 42
That’s a pretty good mix and if the 9ers didn’t have Davis Crabs would prob be top 10 in receptions.

Sorry to disappoint you, but Crabtree has been targeted more than anyone on the team. He's ranked #32 in the league in targets, but only #45 in receptions and #48 in yards for wide receivers.

Vernon Davis is ranked #7 in the league in targets, #8 in the league in receptions, and #3 in the league in yards for tight ends.

Targets to Davis: 79

Targets to Crabtree: 81

Plus, Gore has been on IR and Crabtree still has less receptions.

On a positive note, Crabtree is ranked #26 among wide receivers in touchdowns. Vernon Davis is #4 for tight ends.
Im really just hoping he is hitting his sophomore slump and has his break out third year like most of the good receivers out there.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by NinerNation:
ths is what happens when you have a team with multi stars on it someones numbers have to go down and crabs is the fall guy

Again, sorry to disappoint, but It doesn't seem to be effecting the Falcons. Roddy White is the most targeted wide receiver in the league... he also has the most receptions. Tony Gonzales is the fourth most targeted tight end in the league... he also has the fourth most receptions.

So, is it Crabtree or is it some other factor?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Crabs is a bum, I tell ya he's a bum, and he's always gonna be a bum, because he's a bum.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
bad ball placement.

It's called cryptorchidism.

Although, I'd swear he's dropped more than two balls....

He must have more than six testicles. That's the only possible explanation.

Ok, honest opinion... is this just too obtuse or is it just not funny?

I thought it was rather witty....

"Ball placement" meaning his testicles haven't dropped. He's dropped 6 passes according to stats inc. so if he still hasn't dropped all of his testicles, he must have more than six. Get it?

Yeah, that was obtuse, wasn't it....

I gave a link to the Mayo clinic definition, though.

clever

Originally posted by dtcomposer:
Originally posted by 9erfan4life:
#1. Cant accurately assess his talent until we get a real quarterback throwing to him. Will have to wait until next year for that....

Don’t think you need a pro bowl QB throwing to him to see that he’s got a lot of talent.

#2. I think people put too much into stats he’s not going to drop top 10 numbers based on the type of offense he’s in.

Davis 49 rec Gore 46 Crabs 42
That’s a pretty good mix and if the 9ers didn’t have Davis Crabs would prob be top 10 in receptions.

You’re not going to see Indy stats where Wayne has 90 rec and Garcon has 60 simply because the 9ers run half the plays and don’t pass 50 times a game.

#1. Ignorant comment , and overly simplistic as always. This is why you are a pariah.

#2. - insightful response, I think that the stats are really quite meaningless, it is his play on the field that is most concerning to me. I agree that the offense really has diminished just about everyone's numbers though.

Let me guess. You support Alex Smith, and believe he should be given another chance next season as starter for this club.

NO you fool I don't support that. I don't live in your strange dualistic world...

I have stated many times that I think Alex needs to move on. I simply enjoy reality and pertinent facts. I've had this argument with you, and it is obvious to everyone that you are one of the small group of unabashed people who can really be called "haters".
  • dj43
Originally posted by baybreaker707:
Originally posted by dj43:
Cant accurately assess his talent until we get a real quarterback throwing to him. Will have to wait until next year for that....

That statement disregards what experts like Brian Billick who note that he still runs sloppy routes.

This! I think once he learns how to run his routes at a steady speed, instead of being so erratic, he will be catching more passes. Him being so erratic causes the qb to wonder when to throw it to him and that's when bad things happen. He is a beast once the ball is in his hands though, so please Mr. Crabs work on your route running!
It was good news to hear that he and Alex had spent some extra time getting their timing down.

Precision in route running is SO important to whether the ball arrives in a location that is easy for the receiver to catch it. A route doesn't have to be off by very much for the ball to be just a little high or slightly behind the him, thereby making it a difficult catch. So while that is no excuse for an inaccurate QB, it clearly points a finger at a receiver who has been observed to run sloppy routes. Until those routes get cleaned up, it is reasonable to place more blame on the receiver than the QB in most cases.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Crabs is a bum, I tell ya he's a bum, and he's always gonna be a bum, because he's a bum.

Lulz.

Ok, so seriously...

Even though I just posted things that appear pretty negative about Crabtree, I am not saying he is a bust or was a bad pick. He has shown flashes, done some good things, but has things he needs to work on. He still has potential, in my opinion.

Just remember the tale of Krizay and Vernon Davis.

• evil
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:

Lulz.

Ok, so seriously...

Even though I just posted things that appear pretty negative about Crabtree, I am not saying he is a bust or was a bad pick. He has shown flashes, done some good things, but has things he needs to work on. He still has potential, in my opinion.

Just remember the tale of Krizay and Vernon Davis.

PBM much ?
Crabtree isn't a big guy, he does not have burner speed---so he had better learn to run great routes in the NFL.

If he can run great routes to get open and then makes the catch---he will have a small window of time to make a move and we can see if he does have that YAC ability.

Right now he is overrated because of where he was drafted---till he proves otherwise.
Share 49ersWebzone