Rep the Red & Gold: Shop 49ers Gear →

There are 542 users in the forums

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by jalapeno49:
SJNiner7,
The obvious drop by Crab yesterday hit him squarely in the hands. Both of 'em. He has to make that catch. Period.

Alexcuse #49

Sounds like CrabtreEXCUSE #4949.
Nope. We just don't have a QB and he attitude is too lackadaisical at times.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
No team is ever going to double this guy, he's simply not explosive enough. Has he even broken a tackle this year?

A couple...but not like we were expecting.
Crabtree has talent, but his work ethic and professionalism is what I question. Holding out for a contract is acceptable, but missing most of training camp for the second year in a row is simply bad. I think he is an athlete who was head and shoulders above the talent level in college, and still does not realize the his talent is only average in the pros. His route running is very sloppy. He rounds off his cuts and use head fakes when most WR coaches frown upon unnecessary movement. At this point he doesn't play the game fast. Although, I think he has kept up his end of the bargain being an effective blocker on run plays. If he pulls the TC no-show routine next year we will know he is not worth it in the long run.
Originally posted by MntIdaGold:
Crabtree has talent, but his work ethic and professionalism is what I question. Holding out for a contract is acceptable, but missing most of training camp for the second year in a row is simply bad. I think he is an athlete who was head and shoulders above the talent level in college, and still does not realize the his talent is only average in the pros. His route running is very sloppy. He rounds off his cuts and use head fakes when most WR coaches frown upon unnecessary movement. At this point he doesn't play the game fast. Although, I think he has kept up his end of the bargain being an effective blocker on run plays. If he pulls the TC no-show routine next year we will know he is not worth it in the long run.

Agreed. Crabtree has been a clear disappointment this season. His greatest asset coming out of college was supposed to be his hands, but so far, he has shown to be very unreliable - with either Smith at QB.

His route running needs a large improvement. Even more so when it's pointed out on television by commentators. I've been brought down to Earth about Crabtree. At this point, I can't see him as anything more than a possession receiver.

-9fA
I believe part of it is Crabtree's attitude but I think Alex is too scared to trust Crabtree when he appears to be guarded. I happen to think Crabtree has the body skills to get most balls thrown near him but Alex has minimal accuracy and gumption to throw Crabtree open. I think Steve Young mentioned it too. You have to trust your guy to get the ball at times. I think Alex has small balls too often and that along with his accuracy hurt him.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 5,790
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by jalapeno49:
SJNiner7,
The obvious drop by Crab yesterday hit him squarely in the hands. Both of 'em. He has to make that catch. Period.

Alexcuse #49

Sounds like CrabtreEXCUSE #4949.

its crabexcuse
Originally posted by prometheus:
I believe part of it is Crabtree's attitude but I think Alex is too scared to trust Crabtree when he appears to be guarded. I happen to think Crabtree has the body skills to get most balls thrown near him but Alex has minimal accuracy and gumption to throw Crabtree open. I think Steve Young mentioned it too. You have to trust your guy to get the ball at times. I think Alex has small balls too often and that along with his accuracy hurt him.

If you're Alex (or Troy) why on earth would you trust Crabtree? What has he ever shown to earn any sort of trust? Even Morgan deserves more trust. It's a shame that Zeigler got hurt, because that was who Alex seemed to trust the most.
Originally posted by prometheus:
I believe part of it is Crabtree's attitude but I think Alex is too scared to trust Crabtree when he appears to be guarded. I happen to think Crabtree has the body skills to get most balls thrown near him but Alex has minimal accuracy and gumption to throw Crabtree open. I think Steve Young mentioned it too. You have to trust your guy to get the ball at times. I think Alex has small balls too often and that along with his accuracy hurt him.

A Smith regularly bounces balls off Crabtree's hands, shoulders and helmet; so I don't agree that he is scared to throw to him or that his accuracy is the issue. He may favor those recievers who catch the ball, but that's only self preservation. I still believe the best remedy is another really good reciever taking time from Crabtree...he may finally blossom into what we all expected. I would like to see more of a reciever rotation to see if someone else can build a raport with Smith. One major reason that justifies Crabtree's reluctance with Smith is Smith's tendency to lead recievers into hits instead of throwing them open. That has improved but may be why Crabtree is hesitant to trust him.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 13, 2010 at 4:11 PM ]
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by prometheus:
I believe part of it is Crabtree's attitude but I think Alex is too scared to trust Crabtree when he appears to be guarded. I happen to think Crabtree has the body skills to get most balls thrown near him but Alex has minimal accuracy and gumption to throw Crabtree open. I think Steve Young mentioned it too. You have to trust your guy to get the ball at times. I think Alex has small balls too often and that along with his accuracy hurt him.

A Smith regularly bounces balls off Crabtree's hands, shoulders and helmet; so I don't agree that he is scared to throw to him or that his accuracy is the issue. He may favor those recievers who catch the ball, but that's only self preservation. I still believe the best remedy is another really good reciever taking time from Crabtree...he may finally blossom into what we all expected. I would like to see more of a reciever rotation to see if someone else can build a raport with Smith. One major reason that justifies Crabtree's reluctance with Smith is Smith's tendency to lead recievers into hits instead of throwing them open. That has improved but may be why Crabtree is hesitant to trust him.

Well, the 49er standard - which is the standard we should be looking at - included guys like Jerry Rice, Taylor, Owens going across the middle and getting obliterated. Those guys recognized that it was part of the job.
Well if anyone think he is rated high then he is significantly overrated. And anyone that says otherwise is not thinking clearly. If you take away his big name the only way you can even notice him on the field is by the guy who's letting balls bounce off his hands into the air for interceptions. His hands have been poor, he doesn't practice hard, and he think everything should just be handed to him. He'll either continue down this path and be a nobody or grow up and become a good player. I'm not saying he doesn't have the potential to be really good but to this point he is not a good player. s**t, Ziegler does much more with the limited opportunities he gets.
His problems have been drops, but a lot of young recievers go through this, TO, Davis and many more have. I believe he will become a very good posession reciever next year, but I do not see him as a game breaker type.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by dtg_9er:
Originally posted by prometheus:
I believe part of it is Crabtree's attitude but I think Alex is too scared to trust Crabtree when he appears to be guarded. I happen to think Crabtree has the body skills to get most balls thrown near him but Alex has minimal accuracy and gumption to throw Crabtree open. I think Steve Young mentioned it too. You have to trust your guy to get the ball at times. I think Alex has small balls too often and that along with his accuracy hurt him.

A Smith regularly bounces balls off Crabtree's hands, shoulders and helmet; so I don't agree that he is scared to throw to him or that his accuracy is the issue. He may favor those recievers who catch the ball, but that's only self preservation. I still believe the best remedy is another really good reciever taking time from Crabtree...he may finally blossom into what we all expected. I would like to see more of a reciever rotation to see if someone else can build a raport with Smith. One major reason that justifies Crabtree's reluctance with Smith is Smith's tendency to lead recievers into hits instead of throwing them open. That has improved but may be why Crabtree is hesitant to trust him.

Well, the 49er standard - which is the standard we should be looking at - included guys like Jerry Rice, Taylor, Owens going across the middle and getting obliterated. Those guys recognized that it was part of the job.

Agree in general, but Montana was a master of putting the ball low and away from the defender, avoiding interceptions, tipped balls and collisions. Makes sense. All the great recievers are willing to go over the middle and put themselves at risk, but not if they do not trust the QB...which brings us to a circular argument and I agree that it is up to the WR to catch any ball within his reach, period.
The jury is still out on Crabtree...I'm going to wait until year 6 to pass judgment.

I'm still on the fence with Kentwan Balmer too.
Originally posted by DesiDez:
The jury is still out on Crabtree...I'm going to wait until year 6 to pass judgment.

I'm still on the fence with Kentwan Balmer too.

Those guys haven't improved in year 2.
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone