There are 122 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

Is Crabtree Overrated ?

I am beginning to think that Crabtree is overated and will never be the game changer we hoped he would become.

He was all but invisible today, except for the 2 or 3 passes he dropped. Isn't he supposed to have great hands.

He also doesn't have the speed required to get behind DBs or get open consistently. Maybe that's why he pulled up lame at the combine and didn't run.

I am not calling him a bust, just overated.
so far he's not living up to the big expectations
Yes he is on this board. He is slow and tips too many in the air. And runs lazy routes. And doesn't practice / play in the preseason.
  • AZ9er
  • Veteran
I think he needs to spend the off season working running accurate route running. He needs to get his butt involved inteh off season work outs, ota, mini camps etc.
I think alex wasnt targeting him at all though

Crabtree made some plays when BlackSmith was at qb

However, Vernon davis wasnt.

Its a matter of who the QB is comfortable with. Remember this was alex's first game back.
[ Edited by ads_2006 on Dec 12, 2010 at 6:19 PM ]
Originally posted by ads_2006:

Its a matter of who the QB is comfortable with. Remember this was alex's first game back.

He has to catch that slant on third down. The guy just seems to bat the ball into the air for potential interceptions, it's crazy
Ask again after his third season, to me he has been improving. A lot of
NFL receivers don't really reach their max level until 3 years in. He has run some bad routes and made some dumb mistakes but every player and coach on our team has been f**king up all year.
I wonder if there's something personal between AS and Crabtree...

I think I remember Crabtree kinda hinting at talking trash and never seemed to be in the game until Troy was playing.
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
nope i don't think so. i think many other teams in the league would love to have crabtree. i thought alex was throwing him some awful passes today. that short pass he threw to crabs he threw it way too hard even the announcer said so. and he was barely even used today.
Crabtree has been improving. If we could get consistent qb play his numbers would be much better. Looking forward to the final three games. Go 49ers!
Originally posted by Jakemall:

I think I remember Crabtree kinda hinting at talking trash and never seemed to be in the game until Troy was playing.

He definitely played better under Troy Smith. By contrast Vernon Davis almost always plays better under Alex Smith. I don't think Crabtree and Alex have developed a chemistry and trust. It's no wonder when you consider Crabtree always misses preseason.
  • kdogg
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ads_2006:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/boxscore?gameId=301212025

5 targets with at least 3 drops.

He's overrated until he stops dropping balls. Ginn has better hands.
he's an alright receiver, about as consistent as his QB.
[ Edited by skynet907 on Dec 12, 2010 at 6:29 PM ]
Dez is better.
Originally posted by Jakemall:

If there is any truth to that (which I actually doubt), the Niners have a real probelm on their hands. Mr. Crabtree makes a lot of money and needs to be a professional.