LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 374 users in the forums

Would you support your dream HC hire if they retained A. Smith?

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Would you support your dream HC hire if they retained A. Smith?

Keep A Smith, T Smith, Nate Davis, a rookie draft pick, a vet pick up (best you can sign) and go into the off-season with five QBs. Hire someone who can evaluate and teach the QB position and run them all through a class during the off-season. Then have open competition during minicamps and keep the best three. This nonsense that any QB is better than what we have is really silly. Carr proves that, as even his teammates don't want Carr in the game.

Hire someone good and trust them until they prove they can't win! Sound familiar?

Edit--If A Smith went to Arizona (or elsewhere) I would wish him the best of luck. He deserves it.
[ Edited by dtg_9er on Dec 12, 2010 at 12:07 PM ]
If it was Urban Meyer
Originally posted by TheVoiceOfReason:
If it was Urban Meyer

Crazy enough Urban Meyer was the most functional and best play he ever had. Alex obviosly fits that system. IMO Urban Meyer would get light years more out of Alex than Dingeltary. Whether that's enough or not I don't know. But I know he would get more out of Alex.
The team might have to resign him, simply because they don't have alot of options. Obviously they should target a QB early in the draft, but I doubt they'll want to start him right away. The team could also go after a vet in FA or a trade deal, but there is a chance that won't pan out.

IMO, the team will have to keep either Troy or Alex heading into next season.
Just wanted to .

I'm surprised by the results. 75% here said 'yes'.

-9fA
  • dj43
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
Just wanted to .

I'm surprised by the results. 75% here said 'yes'.

-9fA

I am also surprised. From the noise in these threads I would have thought that most would not have Alex back under any conditions but it appears that most are either willing to trust "their" new coach or they have looked around at what might be available in FA and the draft and come to the conclusion Alex is better than what is out there to replace him. I happen to agree on both counts.
Originally posted by FL9er:
No, because a good evaluator would realize he can't play.

10TDs, 4INTs, 1077 yards, and a 92 NFL passer rating through 5 games since Mike Johnson took over running the offense and calling plays.
Originally posted by AKfanster:
The team might have to resign him, simply because they don't have alot of options. Obviously they should target a QB early in the draft, but I doubt they'll want to start him right away. The team could also go after a vet in FA or a trade deal, but there is a chance that won't pan out.

Agreed. The FA pool looks really bad out there. That's why I believe that A. Smith will jump ship. He'll be able to start fresh somewhere else, and a number of teams that are in need of a QB able to compete for the starting job have better offensive coaches than the 49ers.
No and I think Alex wants a fresh start. Its gonna be with a new OC anyway.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by highwayone:
When you have a girl friend that's attractive but she doesn't do it for you in bed, do you keep dating her because you care for her as a person?

Dump her cuz you'll never be satisfied. You need to let her go so she can find a true love somewhere else.

Let Alexis go.

F--K NO...ALEXIS IS F--KIN' FINE

• dj43
Originally posted by fastforward:
Originally posted by AKfanster:

Agreed. The FA pool looks really bad out there. That's why I believe that A. Smith will jump ship. He'll be able to start fresh somewhere else, and a number of teams that are in need of a QB able to compete for the starting job have better offensive coaches than the 49ers.
You're right there.

If the Alex haters realized how weak the FA market is going to be for QBs this offseason, they MIGHT change their tune. If Alex leaves, as I expect him to do, the 49ers are going to have to give up a current starter in order to get an interim QB to serve as a place holder until their new rookie is ready to play.

To give an idea of what that might look like; imagine trading Manny Lawson for Tim Rattay. (Forget the idea that Lawson isn't signed for next year because I fully expect the team to sign him to a long-term deal) THAT is how bad the FA market is and why the 49ers will be FAR better off to try to keep Alex around for next season. However, expect Smith to be very expensive to sign because of the very fact the market is VERY thin. Alex looks to be the best FA prospect out there after the season and will get a nice contract from whoever signs him.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by FL9er:
No, because a good evaluator would realize he can't play.

10TDs, 4INTs, 1077 yards, and a 92 NFL passer rating through 5 games since Mike Johnson took over running the offense and calling plays.

damn really? not to shabby.

To bad MJ wasn't the OC in the beginning of the season. If you break that down for the entire season Alex would have ended this season with 32 TD's 12 INT's and 3446.4 yards. This was the season everyone was expecting Alex Smith to have. Singletary has clearly been holding this team and the offense back.
[ Edited by backontop on Dec 13, 2010 at 10:34 PM ]
No.
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by highwayone:
When you have a girl friend that's attractive but she doesn't do it for you in bed, do you keep dating her because you care for her as a person?

Dump her cuz you'll never be satisfied. You need to let her go so she can find a true love somewhere else.

Let Alexis go.

F--K NO...ALEXIS IS F--KIN' FINE

I'd like to throw to her tight end!
Dream coach? Then YES. I'm pretty sure Coach Walsh could make him a HOFer
Share 49ersWebzone