There are 133 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

If Alex Smith got us to the playoffs and won one playoff game

Originally posted by Sims84:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:
I will tattoo his name across my left nut. Thats how confident I am in that happening.

I will add the #11 next to my Niner tat with a giant Crown on top of one of the 1's if we get into the playoffs and actually win some games in the playoffs.

I'm sure YOU would but fact is, if he gets us into the playoffs and even wins a game, yes we bring him back. We still have to draft a QB with our new HC though but having Smith out there while the rookie learns under a competent HC (hopefully) will not be nearly as bad as it would if we just threw the new Rookie out there, although we are scared he may end up like Alex but remember, Alex had NO TALENT around him and a horrible coaching staff when he was thrown to the wolves. A new competent coach and the talent we have now might not be so bad for the new rook . A playoff wins gets him a new (2 yr) contract in my opinion.

I think it is funny that just because I point out the obvious about Alex Smith you label me as a Smith enthusiast. I am one of the first people to point out his flaws and admit when he needs to be benched. Currently right now the team is better off with Alex as the starter flat out. I wouldn't go as far as a 2 year deal if he gets us to the playoffs and wins some games. I would start with 1 and go from there.
I will tattoo his name across my left nut. Thats how confident I am in that happening.

I will add the #11 next to my Niner tat with a giant Crown on top of one of the 1's if we get into the playoffs and actually win some games in the playoffs.

I'm sure YOU would but fact is, if he gets us into the playoffs and even wins a game, yes we bring him back. We still have to draft a QB with our new HC though but having Smith out there while the rookie learns under a competent HC (hopefully) will not be nearly as bad as it would if we just threw the new Rookie out there, although we are scared he may end up like Alex but remember, Alex had NO TALENT around him and a horrible coaching staff when he was thrown to the wolves. A new competent coach and the talent we have now might not be so bad for the new rook . A playoff wins gets him a new (2 yr) contract in my opinion.

I think it is funny that just because I point out the obvious about Alex Smith you label me as a Smith enthusiast. I am one of the first people to point out his flaws and admit when he needs to be benched. Currently right now the team is better off with Alex as the starter flat out. I wouldn't go as far as a 2 year deal if he gets us to the playoffs and wins some games. I would start with 1 and go from there.

The "obvious" is that he is 17-30 as a starter, has 46 TD's and 52 INT's and he is grossly inconsistent. There is nothing more obvious than that. But I'm just playing around with you but you state your the first to point out his flaws but I see you are one of the first to defend him in every single thread. That aside, a one year contract will do too but I think if he got us to the playoffs and won a game, that would mean he beat a GOOD team for once in his career (6 years) since he will most likely be going up against either PHI/NYG or CHI/GB and that would tell a lot about that guy to perform well enough WHEN IT MATTERS and beat a good time in the playoffs. I wouldn't be opposed to a 2 year deal as long as we still draft a QB in the first 2 rounds that can sit and learn. The longer, the better

The "obvious" is that he is 17-30 as a starter, has 46 TD's and 52 INT's and he is grossly inconsistent. There is nothing more obvious than that. But I'm just playing around with you but you state your the first to point out his flaws but I see you are one of the first to defend him in every single thread. That aside, a one year contract will do too but I think if he got us to the playoffs and won a game, that would mean he beat a GOOD team for once in his career (6 years) since he will most likely be going up against either PHI/NYG or CHI/GB and that would tell a lot about that guy to perform well enough WHEN IT MATTERS and beat a good time in the playoffs. I wouldn't be opposed to a 2 year deal as long as we still draft a QB in the first 2 rounds that can sit and learn. The longer, the better

I have never denied any of that including him being inconsistent. The obvious is the lack of coaching, lack of continuity(this was supposed to be the first year, look how that turned out), lack of an oline and dear god he finally now has some weapons to throw to.
  • mayo49
  • Veteran
I don't think he comes back. Someone like the Dolphins or Arizona will sign him and start him. He'll be only 26 when free agency starts.

I have never denied any of that including him being inconsistent. The obvious is the lack of coaching, lack of continuity(this was supposed to be the first year, look how that turned out), lack of an oline and dear god he finally now has some weapons to throw to.

no, the "obvious" is what stands directly out without digging deep to get the technical aspect of it. The obvious is what someone who doesn't follow the 49ers will be able to point out and that is according to his record and his stats, HE SUCKS. That is the "obvious". But yes, when you dig down and find everything that he has gone through, then yes he was put in an unfortunate situation that he hasnt made the most of. Hill and Troy smith both had a better winning percentage than Alex..........
Originally posted by mayo49:
I don't think he comes back. Someone like the Dolphins or Arizona will sign him and start him. He'll be only 26 when free agency starts.

Alex Smith would not start over Henne......
Originally posted by SoCal9ers:
Coach Sing + Alex Smith = CHAMPIONSHIP!

That a'boy!
Originally posted by mayo49:

Alex Smith would not start over Henne......

there will be a qb competition for alex, no matter where he goes, he will be trying just for a back-up or 3rd string role.
He's going to end up in San Diego with Norv. It's the only coach that would take his sorry behind..
Norv will not be around next year around here, LOL! Please, Norv will not touch Alex Smith unless he is forced to, like before. This is nonsense, playoffs or not will not justify keeping this genious of a QB.
by all means we have to target a 1st or 2nd rd ob in the draft. but if alex were to lead the team to postseason and moreso manage past 1st rd, it's plainly obvious you hang on to him (if he so chooses) unless a better fa prospect comes along. most likely smith would prove himself in tc and exhibition to start the season giving the young passer time to grasps the pros and not force the issue making exactly the mistake we made with alex in his 1st year. again, so long as he continues like today from here on out, expectations for next season can be a simple concept.

but...still sayin no to singletary
LOL. It's real possible now. It thought it was crazy to even assume. But it could happen now. I could see Alex back if he keeps playing well. I don't want Dingletary back though under any circumstances.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by 49ERSAM:
Norv will not be around next year around here, LOL! Please, Norv will not touch Alex Smith unless he is forced to, like before. This is nonsense, playoffs or not will not justify keeping this genious of a QB.

lol. the irony.
  • jimrat
  • Veteran
Alex Smith is gone after this season, how many chances does this guy get to prove himself. They just need to admit they f**ked up drafting him and move on.
  • Griz
  • Veteran
ooo
[ Edited by Griz on Dec 12, 2010 at 5:27 PM ]
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home