There are 174 users in the forums

Sent Matt Maiocco an IM on Facebook, not expecting a response. Ended up Chatting

Shop Find 49ers gear online
So I friended MM a few weeks ago and forgot about it. I saw that he was online so I decided to IM him not really expecting a response, but we had a nice chat. It's short but definitely more than I expected. He answered questions, shared some nice info and was cool about it. Even said he knows the folks from the WZ, which I thought was cool. Check it out
Cool.

And what about Mr Barrows?
Summary?
He chats all the time. Every time I've IM'd him he has responded and had a conversation with me. No biggie.
Here's the transcript since its hard to read in the pics:

Ramzy: Hi Matt you probably won't respond but I just want to tell you that you're awesome...the best 49er beat writer... and keep up the good work! I've been a die hard Niner fan since Superbowl 16 when I was 4 years old

Matt: Thanks, Ramzy. Appreciate it.

Me: Happy about Alex being named the Starter again?

Matt: At this point, not sure it really matters. QB is only one of their problems.

Me:I know. So whats your gut for next coach? I think Holmgren gets Gruden to go to Clevland freeing him up to come here. Possibility of that happening?

Matt: Gruden and Harbaugh are distinct possibilities.

Me: I would love either. So Holmgren not as much of a possibility huh?

(pause for a bit)

Hey I know you're busy, I honestly wasn't even expecting you to respond, so thanks. I appreciate the chat... take care ok?

Matt: Nobody seems to know what Holmgren's contract says... if he can get out of being team president of Browns. Take care.

Me: cool. thanks for the 411. One last question if I may. do you ever check out or read www.49erswebzone.com? I visit that forum quite frequently. You have a huge fan base there.

Matt: Yes, I know the folks at the webzone. I got out to their tailgate every year.

Matt Maiocco is offline.
[ Edited by zozell on Dec 7, 2010 at 9:46 AM ]
Originally posted by Ajanke:
He chats all the time. Every time I've IM'd him he has responded and had a conversation with me. No biggie.

Yea I know he's not a celebrity or anything... I was just suprised. Thought he'd be busy with no time to chat... It was kinda cool
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Cool! Thanks for sharing.

I think MM is a cool guy and I'm glad to have him on the beat for us.

I actually like all three major beat writers (Maiocco, Barrows, Branch). They all manage to bring the same or similar info in a way that makes me feel like it's worth reading three times.

I am a fanatic, though....
If you guys haven't read Maiocco's views on fandom and sportswriting, they're worth a look. He is very, very professional when it comes to liking a team and writing about a team and it's a very interesting dynamic that's played out if you're a sportswriter.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by mastahyee:
If you guys haven't read Maiocco's views on fandom and sportswriting, they're worth a look. He is very, very professional when it comes to liking a team and writing about a team and it's a very interesting dynamic that's played out if you're a sportswriter.

I have read some of his views, don't know if it's the same things you read, but probably consistent.

Fandom in general is a fascinating topic to me... I'm into psychology, so it's in a nerdy way.

He is incredibly professional in his approach. In my opinion, he's always been the most professional of the beat writers. It's good because you know you can take him seriously.

Barrows injects a lot more humor and speculation. I think he's still very professional, just gives me a reason to read the same thing twice.

Branch seems very opinionated and isn't afraid to show it. He also brings relevant statistics (NFL stats are fun!) to the table that the other two don't. He's still professional, though.

I'm feeling too much ramble coming on. Stop, fingers, stop.
Y'all should check out the Home Opener Tailgate we have every year. Matt Maiocco and Matt Barrows always try and pass by. We actually have some good pics of them interacting with the fanbase at our tailgate.

OH MY GAWDD REALLY HE DIDDDD THAAATTT!!!

Yeah we ended up like talking for like an hour last night! OH MY GOD I'm so excited right now! He actually chatted with me!
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kidash:
Y'all should check out the Home Opener Tailgate we have every year. Matt Maiocco and Matt Barrows always try and pass by. We actually have some good pics of them interacting with the fanbase at our tailgate.

Too far, no money.

Thanks for peeing in my Cheerios.

It's cool that you guys do this, though.
Originally posted by Wodwo:

I have read some of his views, don't know if it's the same things you read, but probably consistent.

Fandom in general is a fascinating topic to me... I'm into psychology, so it's in a nerdy way.

He is incredibly professional in his approach. In my opinion, he's always been the most professional of the beat writers. It's good because you know you can take him seriously.

Barrows injects a lot more humor and speculation. I think he's still very professional, just gives me a reason to read the same thing twice.

Branch seems very opinionated and isn't afraid to show it. He also brings relevant statistics (NFL stats are fun!) to the table that the other two don't. He's still professional, though.

I'm feeling too much ramble coming on. Stop, fingers, stop.

I think we're referring to the same thing-- it's the story he tells about beat writing for the Giants (his dream job) and then having to turn in something for the next day's paper over a loss to the Dodgers in which he had to root against the Giants in order to make his article relevant right? That's the framework he uses to put fandom and beatwriting into perspective
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by AllTimeGreat:
OH MY GAWDD REALLY HE DIDDDD THAAATTT!!!

Yeah we ended up like talking for like an hour last night! OH MY GOD I'm so excited right now! He actually chatted with me!

• Wodwo
  • Veteran

I think we're referring to the same thing-- it's the story he tells about beat writing for the Giants (his dream job) and then having to turn in something for the next day's paper over a loss to the Dodgers in which he had to root against the Giants in order to make his article relevant right? That's the framework he uses to put fandom and beatwriting into perspective

Oh, I can't remember reading that... bummer. He's shared his thoughts on the subject a bunch of times over the years, though... I think. Him and Barrows both.

If you or anyone else has a link, I'd like to read it.
Share 49ersWebzone