LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 204 users in the forums

Confirmed - Alex Smith to start against Seahawks on Sunday

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • obx49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Meh, at this point it doesn't really matter to me who starts.

And no, I'm not an irrational Smith hater, I just don't think hes very good. When I look at a QB like Smith I don't look at who he had as a coach, his O-line, or his recievers ( even though all these things did contribute to his suckage so far in San Fran), but I look at these things:
1) Accuracy, and mainly, consistency of accuracy.
2) Pocket presence
3) Fire, leadership
4) Decision Making
5) Confidence

We all have to agree that, whether we like him or not, Smith is not very good at these things, consistently.

IMO, hes shown signs of #3 at times, and obviously has shown #1 at times too ( but then again which QB in NFL history hasn't shown accuracy from time to time?) And lastly, he is TERRIBLE at #2, and very indecisive at times.

This is why I am not a typical 'Smith hater'. I believe that he will not be a good QB wherever he goes, because of the reasons I stated above.

Anyone wanna push back on my opinion?

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, at the end of the day he gives us the best chance to win because of his veteran leadership, his knowledge of the playbook, and the players believe in him.
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
This season is an epic fail. Alex smith, worst 49er q.b. ever, & singletary worst 49er coach ever. Thank God, both gone at the end of the season

One can only hope.
Great! Our chances of making the playoffs went from about 25% to 0%. Why would they think Alex could do what he's already proven he couldn't?? But there is one upside to this move as someone else pointed out.... Starting Alex gives us the best chance for a higher draft pick in 2011.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Let Troy take us down the field and as soon as we get into the redzone put in Alex.

I've thought of the same thing. Hehehe....

Just too hard to split the snaps in practice, I think.

Could work, who knows?
Originally posted by JerryRice1848:
Alex Smith get revenge and wins 31-3 over the Seahawks

• fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Norcal9erfan:

• gage
  • Veteran

I get it, you were going for...

SF -> Sea

Nice!
Great! Our chances of making the playoffs went from about 25% to 0%. Why would they think Alex could do what he's already proven he couldn't?? But there is one upside to this move as someone else pointed out.... Starting Alex gives us the best chance for a higher draft pick in 2011.

I say our chances went from 0% to 0%.
[ Edited by smithgdwg on Dec 6, 2010 at 7:48 PM ]
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Meh, at this point it doesn't really matter to me who starts.

And no, I'm not an irrational Smith hater, I just don't think hes very good. When I look at a QB like Smith I don't look at who he had as a coach, his O-line, or his recievers ( even though all these things did contribute to his suckage so far in San Fran), but I look at these things:
1) Accuracy, and mainly, consistency of accuracy.
2) Pocket presence
3) Fire, leadership
4) Decision Making
5) Confidence

We all have to agree that, whether we like him or not, Smith is not very good at these things, consistently.

IMO, hes shown signs of #3 at times, and obviously has shown #1 at times too ( but then again which QB in NFL history hasn't shown accuracy from time to time?) And lastly, he is TERRIBLE at #2, and very indecisive at times.

This is why I am not a typical 'Smith hater'. I believe that he will not be a good QB wherever he goes, because of the reasons I stated above.

Anyone wanna push back on my opinion?

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, at the end of the day he gives us the best chance to win because of his veteran leadership, his knowledge of the playbook, and the players believe in him.

Yup. I'm getting tired of all the debate on whether he would be good if he had a good coaching staff or a supporting cast ( recievers, O-Line). But my main and only point is that regarding the aspects of his game that HE CAN CONTROL, such as the accuracy, the pocket presence, etc, he hasn't really been on point with that throughout his career. As a matter of fact, he's actually been pretty bad with those, in terms of consistency.

So well see. If he goes to another team and does decent or even good, I'll be happy for him. The guy was never a douchebag, a true class act, and honestly, he didn't get much help here. But at the end of the day, hes made a s**tload of cash, and his services to the team beyond these next 4 games are pretty much not needed, and I doubt he wants to return next year, too.
Originally posted by DownInTheCity:
This season is an epic fail. Alex smith, worst 49er q.b. ever, & singletary worst 49er coach ever. Thank God, both gone at the end of the season

One can only hope.

It will happen. No question about it. We have 4 games left with sing, hopefully, not that long with Alex. The trigger better be very quick to pull him. Could get ugly @ candlestick Sunday.

Isn't there a planned walkout for this game? Can't remember.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by BirdmanJr:
Let Troy take us down the field and as soon as we get into the redzone put in Alex.

I've thought of the same thing. Hehehe....

Just too hard to split the snaps in practice, I think.

Could work, who knows?

It probably would work. The problem is they can barely get a play in between plays let alone pull a personal switch like that. Plus, it's too "out of box thinking" for Sing.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by DownInTheCity:

One can only hope.

It will happen. No question about it. We have 4 games left with sing, hopefully, not that long with Alex. The trigger better be very quick to pull him. Could get ugly @ candlestick Sunday.

cant wait for the fans to start the "we want Troy"
Originally posted by susweel:

worst 49er qbs ever were anyone after garcia....
Share 49ersWebzone