There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Confirmed - Alex Smith to start against Seahawks on Sunday

  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,104
Originally posted by verb1der:
I must admit, Sing and this QB drama is way more entertaining than actual 49er games, but this is what we're used to!

I wouldn't be surprised if Sing yanks Alex after just 1 INT, which you have to agree Alex throws more INTs than Troy

I think Crabtree has caused more interceptions than either of them have thrown combined.

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Meh, at this point it doesn't really matter to me who starts.

And no, I'm not an irrational Smith hater, I just don't think hes very good. When I look at a QB like Smith I don't look at who he had as a coach, his O-line, or his recievers ( even though all these things did contribute to his suckage so far in San Fran), but I look at these things:
1) Accuracy, and mainly, consistency of accuracy.
2) Pocket presence
3) Fire, leadership
4) Decision Making
5) Confidence

We all have to agree that, whether we like him or not, Smith is not very good at these things, consistently.

IMO, hes shown signs of #3 at times, and obviously has shown #1 at times too ( but then again which QB in NFL history hasn't shown accuracy from time to time?) And lastly, he is TERRIBLE at #2, and very indecisive at times.

This is why I am not a typical 'Smith hater'. I believe that he will not be a good QB wherever he goes, because of the reasons I stated above.

Anyone wanna push back on my opinion?

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, at the end of the day he gives us the best chance to win because of his veteran leadership, his knowledge of the playbook, and the players believe in him.

Yup. I'm getting tired of all the debate on whether he would be good if he had a good coaching staff or a supporting cast ( recievers, O-Line). But my main and only point is that regarding the aspects of his game that HE CAN CONTROL, such as the accuracy, the pocket presence, etc, he hasn't really been on point with that throughout his career. As a matter of fact, he's actually been pretty bad with those, in terms of consistency.

So well see. If he goes to another team and does decent or even good, I'll be happy for him. The guy was never a douchebag, a true class act, and honestly, he didn't get much help here. But at the end of the day, hes made a s**tload of cash, and his services to the team beyond these next 4 games are pretty much not needed, and I doubt he wants to return next year, too.

FLAT OUT GAME MANAGEMENT FROM alex. Trouble getting the plays in. Trouble with burning timeouts. Trouble with all the above stated. Mechanics are all f**ked up, he's timid! And we didn't groom him right. His head coach's have been throwing him under the bus since he was a rookie. Never gave him the mental support to make him believe in himself....

AND NOW YOU ALL FINALLY SEE WE NEVER GAVE HIM A SUPPORTING CAST. OLINE, WR"S. his best wr has been gore and he's a running back. We have a number 2 wr in crabtree sorry just not fast enough. We have the fastest Tightend ever and when davis get's his head turned around makes alex look amazing, but he's not a natural pass catcher and is working miracles as is when alex would throw into triple coverage and some how Davis would come down with it and his eyes closed cause he knows he's about to be f**k up!
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Dec 6, 2010 at 7:58 PM ]
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I must admit, Sing and this QB drama is way more entertaining than actual 49er games, but this is what we're used to!

I wouldn't be surprised if Sing yanks Alex after just 1 INT, which you have to agree Alex throws more INTs than Troy

I think Crabtree has caused more interceptions than either of them have thrown combined.


the Alexcuses have started....
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
This season is an epic fail. Alex smith, worst 49er q.b. ever, & singletary worst 49er coach ever. Thank God, both gone at the end of the season

worst 49er qbs ever were anyone after garcia....

True, but pickett, dorsey, rattay, were 7th round picks, with practice squad talent and park benches as head coaches. Alex, was no.1 overall, and has played way more games than those dudes. 2004 & 2005 were doomed to fail before they began.
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,858
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
It will be both of em.

Troy will be brought in when/if Alex fails.

Then if they both fail,enter Nate Davis.

It's not that hard .

Carr's gotta make it in there somehwere too. I have an idea...

how come we don't try a three QB wishbone formation. Nobody would know which QB they are getting on any given play.
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by Jamespowers:
This season is an epic fail. Alex smith, worst 49er q.b. ever, & singletary worst 49er coach ever. Thank God, both gone at the end of the season

worst 49er qbs ever were anyone after garcia....

No kidding. Been a long time.
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
It will be both of em.

Troy will be brought in when/if Alex fails.

Then if they both fail,enter Nate Davis.

It's not that hard .

Carr's gotta make it in there somehwere too. I have an idea...

how come we don't try a three QB wishbone formation. Nobody would know which QB they are getting on any given play.

I think Carr can hand off the ball fine, so just use him for running plays.
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by verb1der:
I must admit, Sing and this QB drama is way more entertaining than actual 49er games, but this is what we're used to!

I wouldn't be surprised if Sing yanks Alex after just 1 INT, which you have to agree Alex throws more INTs than Troy

I think Crabtree has caused more interceptions than either of them have thrown combined.


the Alexcuses have started....

Lol thats not even possible. How can Crabs cause MORE ints that the two of them have thrown combined? Thats hilarious. lol
  • Blitz
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 7,858
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
Originally posted by Blitz:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
It will be both of em.

Troy will be brought in when/if Alex fails.

Then if they both fail,enter Nate Davis.

It's not that hard .

Carr's gotta make it in there somehwere too. I have an idea...

how come we don't try a three QB wishbone formation. Nobody would know which QB they are getting on any given play.

I think Carr can hand off the ball fine, so just use him for running plays.

Good point. And, seeing as how they already know what play we are going to run anyways.....no loss there.
with smith were gonna win meaningless games causing us to lose out on peterson
Hitler is not happy either

Originally posted by niner4life21:
Originally posted by obx49:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
Meh, at this point it doesn't really matter to me who starts.

And no, I'm not an irrational Smith hater, I just don't think hes very good. When I look at a QB like Smith I don't look at who he had as a coach, his O-line, or his recievers ( even though all these things did contribute to his suckage so far in San Fran), but I look at these things:
1) Accuracy, and mainly, consistency of accuracy.
2) Pocket presence
3) Fire, leadership
4) Decision Making
5) Confidence

We all have to agree that, whether we like him or not, Smith is not very good at these things, consistently.

IMO, hes shown signs of #3 at times, and obviously has shown #1 at times too ( but then again which QB in NFL history hasn't shown accuracy from time to time?) And lastly, he is TERRIBLE at #2, and very indecisive at times.

This is why I am not a typical 'Smith hater'. I believe that he will not be a good QB wherever he goes, because of the reasons I stated above.

Anyone wanna push back on my opinion?

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, at the end of the day he gives us the best chance to win because of his veteran leadership, his knowledge of the playbook, and the players believe in him.

Yup. I'm getting tired of all the debate on whether he would be good if he had a good coaching staff or a supporting cast ( recievers, O-Line). But my main and only point is that regarding the aspects of his game that HE CAN CONTROL, such as the accuracy, the pocket presence, etc, he hasn't really been on point with that throughout his career. As a matter of fact, he's actually been pretty bad with those, in terms of consistency.

So well see. If he goes to another team and does decent or even good, I'll be happy for him. The guy was never a douchebag, a true class act, and honestly, he didn't get much help here. But at the end of the day, hes made a s**tload of cash, and his services to the team beyond these next 4 games are pretty much not needed, and I doubt he wants to return next year, too.

pretty "meh" myself about it. with regards to the point on his decsion making, i believe it's more over-cautious and not trusting either himself or his receivers. thus the auto-checkdowns. despite all his obstacles getting to this point, he is what he is - good guy, but damaged goods.

the ONLY positive we can take from this is whether we're mathmatically in or out after this weekend, he may still allow the team to play a little more competitively allowing the organization a better look at the roster for the next season. as owners ready to pull the plug on sing, i'd wanna have something positive to offer a new prospective hc. anyway there's no way ownership would see keeping alex as a wise option. at least not to this fanbase.
Originally posted by daWest:
i'm glad he'll get a shot to audition for other teams a little bit before the season ends...i think the season's done, so i couldn't care less who starts, although i do feel alex deserves to start, he never lost the job in the first place and troy just hasnt performed since st.louis

When was the last time Alex performed then?
Well all the A.Smith supporters got their wish. Go 2011!!
Originally posted by Niners209:
Originally posted by daWest:
i'm glad he'll get a shot to audition for other teams a little bit before the season ends...i think the season's done, so i couldn't care less who starts, although i do feel alex deserves to start, he never lost the job in the first place and troy just hasnt performed since st.louis

When was the last time Alex performed then?

Against the raiders. He went 16/33, 196 YDS, 2 TD