LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 284 users in the forums

Post Game Analysis (vs. San Diego Chargers)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Playcalling sucks, notice the SD receivers wide open? And our receivers never are? Weird huh?
The Alex Smith hatred and blame is almost hilarious. Did Smith do anything to win this game? No. But was he the reason they lost? One of many, but not the reason. He actually played better than many (not saying much). Let's talk defense. rivers is good, but he was close to a perfect qb rating. That is bad defense. Bad o-line play. Mistakes everywhere.

Blaming Alex for a pick on 4th an 11 when the game was lost? That was taking a chance, exactly what so many are complaining he did not do all game.
Did anyone see the Lombardi documentary on HBO right now?? How the year before he got to the Packers they won 1 game but had like 7 pro bowlers on the team... once he got there they went 7-5 then in his 3rd year they were playin for the championship... I honestly feel like we have a lot of base-core talent. Ok not that 7 pro bowlers however there are teams out there worse off... we just need a football coach that knows the X's and O's of football. Not a motivational speaker that knows how to play linebacker really well....
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
This game could have been so different, the team is so weak mentally.

Anyways, I look forward to us maybe getting competent coaching and QB play next season
Why do people make excuses for Alex? I don't get it. What has he done? He had a mediocre season under Norv Turner, therefore he'll eventually be good? Is it because he has 3 good games a year right as he's about to get benched or comes back from being benched? Can't be that, otherwise they would all want Rex Grossman signed. I just don't get it. The guy doesn't anticipate WRs getting open. The reason why he sucks is he waits til a WR is absolutely open. This is not bashing just everything was pretty much confirmed in my head tonight. And I'm wondering why people still need to make excuses.
  • dj43
Originally posted by kray28:
Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Deion just said it.....play calling was garbage...wouldn't of mattered who was at QB...and we are pathetic!

I guess we blame the interception to Johnson, or the OL, or Crabtree...

When the line barely gives you enough time to spot the open man, let alone deliver a throw, those longer throws are going to get risky.

Play calling is a factor when no adjustment is made to counter the pressure. We needed a quicker drops and needed to get the ball out quicker. Instead we stuck with the longer developing routes where Alex had to hold the ball.

The lack of flexibility and the lack of adjustment...it's been the story all season long. It's why Singletary is not successful. He's playing checkers, while the guy on the other sideline is playing chess.
The 49ers were as thoroughly out coached tonight as I can recall.

Turner rolled out some new stuff tonight that was really good. I take back all the good things I said about Mike Johnson. Comparatively Turner made him look like a Pop Warner coach.

The 49ers on defense; SD just has better personnel on offense.

SD was just a better team all around.
Its stupid and pointless to even discuss Alex. He was an absolute non factor. He wasn't the reason we lost but he wasn't the reason we would win. We need a new QB and new coach. That's obvious. We need an impact QB like Rivers. Alex may not have lost this game...but let's be honest...he wasn't going to win it. We need a guy who's going to put this team on his back and we need coaches that scheme better. This sht was ridiculous.
Originally posted by bracus:
Why do people make excuses for Alex? I don't get it. What has he done? He had a mediocre season under Norv Turner, therefore he'll eventually be good? Is it because he has 3 good games a year right as he's about to get benched or comes back from being benched? Can't be that, otherwise they would all want Rex Grossman signed. I just don't get it. The guy doesn't anticipate WRs getting open. The reason why he sucks is he waits til a WR is absolutely open. This is not bashing just everything was pretty much confirmed in my head tonight. And I'm wondering why people still need to make excuses.

alex isn't good, but the people who are "making excuses for him" are--by and large--calling attention to the fact that this team has had many other problems besides the QB. But most "football fans" can only watch football by focusing on the QB, so they assume that any discussion of anything not pertaining to the QB is "making an excuse for him."
Its stupid and pointless to even discuss Alex. He was an absolute non factor. He wasn't the reason we lost but he wasn't the reason we would win. We need a new QB and new coach. That's obvious. We need an impact QB like Rivers. Alex may not have lost this game...but let's be honest...he wasn't going to win it. We need a guy who's going to put this team on his back and we need coaches that scheme better. This sht was ridiculous.
  • dj43
Originally posted by bracus:
Were you at the game?

How do you know he waits until the receiver is wide open?

The throw to Walker was not to a wide open receiver but he put it in a perfect spot...and Walker dropped it.

SD took away EVERYTHING DEEP AND MID RANGE/MIDFIELD. All they left was short sidelines. Their defense, and defensive game plan completely took away everything.

Justin Smith getting ejected killed us. Not that we necessarily would have won, but we were starting to get an offense going, and, despite the goal line failure, the D was stepping up and on its way to forcing a punt. Without that penalty and ejection this game would have looked very different.

The blame for the ejection is on both Smith and the ref, IMO. Justin was getting carried away and needed to check himself, but that ref could have used some control in his judgment. I know what the rule is, but I think a 15 yard penalty would have been more than enough punishment. That was just a case of a ref getting some kind of Napoleon syndrome, IMO.

And after that, the team deflated and San Diego put their foot on our throats and ended it the way good teams do. They smelled blood and went in for the kill.
Went to the game in San Diego. They looked as crappy live as I'm sure they looked on TV. Smith reverted and seemed incapable of igniting any spark. Many sacks he just held the ball too long and wouldn't take any chances. It seems clear that he can only win games for the team when the whole team is playing well. He has almost zero ability to create good from bad, as has been discussed on these boards ad nauseum. I wouldn't stop at dumping on Smith by any means, though. To put it bluntly, the Niners have a collection of talented players, but they don't have a lot of winners. And by that I mean you need players who make the big plays in the important games. Fans that date back to the dynasty years know what I'm talking about. With the current Niners, I see Delaine Walker dropping a perfectly thrown deep pass early that could have gave the team momentum. I see Amahd Brooks dropping two picks, one right in his hands, that could have really given us a momentum swing and led to points. I see a bad play call on fourth and an inch on the goal line. Why hand a ball off four yards deep and ask for catastrophe when you can do a quick count QB sneak over Baas and Iupati? Smith getting ejected in a critical game? Well, I'll cut him some slack. He seems like one of the only really winning personalities on the team and the ejection looks like BS. But my overall point is, we needed this game and we missed many opportunities to make plays and keep ourselves in the game. Can't do that in football. This team doesn't know how to win and they piss me off.
Originally posted by LottOfDefense:
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I got over this loss by the 3rd quarter. Probably the fastest I've done so after the Chief's game.

Singletary gone.
Smith gone.

-9fA

You forgot:
Clement
Mike Johnson

add Goldson and please cut Haralson

resign Lawson and switch to a 4-3 defense please
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BSofSF:
Went to the game in San Diego. They looked as crappy live as I'm sure they looked on TV. Smith reverted and seemed incapable of igniting any spark. Many sacks he just held the ball too long and wouldn't take any chances. It seems clear that he can only win games for the team when the whole team is playing well. He has almost zero ability to create good from bad, as has been discussed on these boards ad nauseum. I wouldn't stop at dumping on Smith by any means, though. To put it bluntly, the Niners have a collection of talented players, but they don't have a lot of winners. And by that I mean you need players who make the big plays in the important games. Fans that date back to the dynasty years know what I'm talking about. With the current Niners, I see Delaine Walker dropping a perfectly thrown deep pass early that could have gave the team momentum. I see Amahd Brooks dropping two picks, one right in his hands, that could have really given us a momentum swing and led to points. I see a bad play call on fourth and an inch on the goal line. Why hand a ball off four yards deep and ask for catastrophe when you can do a quick count QB sneak over Baas and Iupati? Smith getting ejected in a critical game? Well, I'll cut him some slack. He seems like one of the only really winning personalities on the team and the ejection looks like BS. But my overall point is, we needed this game and we missed many opportunities to make plays and keep ourselves in the game. Can't do that in football. This team doesn't know how to win and they piss me off.

I think I saw you on tv
Actually glad i kissed this game. f**kin losers.
Share 49ersWebzone