There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Post Game Analysis (vs. San Diego Chargers)

Originally posted by fly15:
Originally posted by jreff22:
Deion just said it.....play calling was garbage...wouldn't of mattered who was at QB...and we are pathetic!

I guess we blame the interception to Johnson, or the OL, or Crabtree...

When the line barely gives you enough time to spot the open man, let alone deliver a throw, those longer throws are going to get risky.

Play calling is a factor when no adjustment is made to counter the pressure. We needed a quicker drops and needed to get the ball out quicker. Instead we stuck with the longer developing routes where Alex had to hold the ball.

The lack of flexibility and the lack of adjustment...it's been the story all season long. It's why Singletary is not successful. He's playing checkers, while the guy on the other sideline is playing chess.
Deion just said it.....play calling was garbage...wouldn't of mattered who was at QB...and we are pathetic!

I guess we blame the interception to Johnson, or the OL, or Crabtree...

That interception... I don't think Alex makes that throw normally, but given that it was a 4th down situation, and we're losing badly... just gotta throw it up and try SOMETHING.

No excuses for Alex though. I like the guy and think he's gonna succeed somewhere in the NFL. But as of right now... this is NOT a good situation for him.

But anyway. Tonight, Alex had nothing to work with. He's a system QB that requires him to master a system and have all the pieces in play. Right now, our offensive system is still under development and the pieces are still young. The guy has very little improvisational skills. As I said, he'll go to a team with a strong veteran QB (either Manning, Brady, Brees, etc.) and back them up for a few years. Eventually, he'll take over or do WELL if they get injured.
  • Kolohe
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
On NFL Network: "It doesn't matter WHO was in @ QB...the play calling was pathetic. Total lack luster play calling."

Every one seems to see it except our coaches.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't Smith check out of a play and audible??

into another crap play...we suck nothing will help at this point

But I thought this scrub knew the playbook??
On NFL Network: "It doesn't matter WHO was in @ QB...the play calling was pathetic. Total lack luster play calling."

Given the highly infrequent status of said audibles, I don't think Alex is actually allowed to audible.

the playbook is crap

and depending on the personnel, down & distance the audible was probably crap as well
  • ZRF80

No there's a thinker. The question you pose puts some onus on the quarterback, and therefore it will be disregarded.

Yes, Alex should be calling audibles after 6 years of being in this league. Yes, Alex Smith wearns an arm band that has a list of plays that Smith could audible to if needed.

No, Smith does not audible.
For me the most upsetting thing about the loss tonight was this is how the team came out and played a "must win" game... Wow, it's like we didn't even want to be there tonight. The play calling was horrible, the qb play was horrible, the o-line play was horrible, the playmaking was horrible. I mean Ahmad Brooks, really? That pick was a fair catch and you drop it?? Then they march down the field and score a TD. Delanie Walker, really? The ball hits you right in the hands and you drop it? The best news about tonight is the Alex Smith experiment is almost over, 4 years too late but it's almost over. Could you imagine if we dont get a QB this offseason and we give Alex another shot??
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I got over this loss by the 3rd quarter. Probably the fastest I've done so after the Chief's game.

Singletary gone.
Smith gone.

-9fA

Very intelligent post.
This needed to happen. The false hope was getting ridiculous. We're poorly coached and undisciplined. There is some talent, but until we get football people who know what the heck they're doing, we'll see the same thing over and over.

the playbook is crap

and depending on the personnel, down & distance the audible was probably crap as well

now we're gonna blame the playbook.....? Dammmmmmmmm, Alex u must be a god
I left at 17-0. Apparently didn't miss much. Any more posts about being optimistic, winning the division, and going to the playoffs? Hard to believe there would be after another disastrous showing against a decent team on the road.
Originally posted by ZRF80:

No there's a thinker. The question you pose puts some onus on the quarterback, and therefore it will be disregarded.

Yes, Alex should be calling audibles after 6 years of being in this league. Yes, Alex Smith wearns an arm band that has a list of plays that Smith could audible to if needed.

No, Smith does not audible.

Throughout the league, what is the understanding for QBs and audibles?

I know a guy like Peyton Manning will have almost absolute freedom when it comes to audibles and decisions. I know one game, he even had a moment where he waved off the punt team so he could go for it on fourth down.

With our defensive-minded coach, I imagine our QBs have minimal authority to call audibles.

the playbook is crap

now we're gonna blame the playbook.....? Dammmmmmmmm, Alex u must be a god

where do you think the plays calling ideas come from?
we made an above average team look like world beaters...

oregon ducks/auburn tigers would crush us!

san jose st. spartans would be a tough match-up for us. bryant young is their defensive line coach... i bet they would stymie our offense!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:
I got over this loss by the 3rd quarter. Probably the fastest I've done so after the Chief's game.

Singletary gone.
Smith gone.

-9fA

You forgot:
Clement
Mike Johnson