There are 288 users in the forums

How will the carries split? (Westbrook/Dixon)

Shop Find 49ers gear online
whoever is doing better during that game should get the majority of the carries. Simple as that
Originally posted by susweel:
Im not impressed with Dixon's running style. He needs to hit the whole harder, he dances a little too much. Sometimes he reminds me of Barlow.
IT should be 50/50 for now. I would love to see them use Westbrook for what he is worth, but if One of them gets on a roll you got to ride it.

[ Edited by Ibleedgoldnred on Nov 30, 2010 at 21:01:25 ]
Originally posted by global_nomad:
Mark Purdy said on Chronicle Live that he doesn't see Westbrook getting more than 15 carries a game. He will always be in on 3rd and long for blitz pick up, and obviously Dixon nails down all short yardage/goal line carries.

As we all know by now Frank Gore is out for the season with a hip injury witch leaves us with Brian Westbrook and rookie Anthony Dixon for the rest of the 2010 season. The question is how the work load will be shared by our two running backs. Obviously with Westbrook's health he does not want to carry the ball 20-25 times a game and because of this I think we will see an effective ground game in the next 5 games. The one two punch potential of Westbrook and Dixon could provide a nice weapon for us to use.

Westbrook and Dixon are two fairly different backs. Westbrook is well known for his versatility in that he is an elusive runer and a great pass catcher. On the other hand we have a rookie that although thought to be a physical runner, posses an elusive side to him.

The niners will likely use Dixon when we have a short yardage situation and he may come in the game to give Westbrook a breather on second down occasionally. We know that Westbrook will be the third down back because of his pass blocking abilities and his ability to catch the ball is superb

I think most fans underestimate this dynamic duo as teams will now have to prepare for two running back instead of one. Neither Westbrook or Dixon are as good as Gore, but combined they make for a killer combo. We saw monday night what Westbrook could do when he is fresh. Now with dixon sharing the load more he will always be fresh and ready to rip defenses for big gains.

Bottom line is that we have to make good with what we have this last 5 games. People underestimate what we have in Westbrook and Dixon and I think the packers will underestimate that too. If the coaches game plan correctly, I think we could be in for a good one this sunday against the Packers.
If dixon holds onto the rock he will get some carries westbrooke should see 20 tops let him start and work the rookie in a rotation.
60/40-Westbrook/Dixon.

Haters.....who's laughing now? BW is jes fine.

[ Edited by TDilvr on Nov 30, 2010 at 22:33:32 ]
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
80/90 westbrook

60 percent of the time it works every time

What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.
it should be something like 70/30. Westbrook has been prone to injuries the last few years. So limiting the amount of beatings he is taking is key. Let Dixon get some experience so he can develop while keeping Westbrook healthy.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
hopefully most of them go to westbrook...not impressed w/ dixon at all

since preseason dixon appeared to have gore-like potential but more often he seems to hestitate obviously in hopes the ideal opening. hit needs to pick his lane, hit the hole and if still on his feet ride the scrum til he can break free or bounce around into the secondary. that said westbrook showed he's close if not the every down back he used to be so naturally he gets the bulk. would really love to see him on screens. dix to spell and short yardage. just prayin sing and mj continue opening up different passing plays. as with any new player, this evolving scheme works to our advantage as defenses don't have much to gameplan on.

btw barlow was a chickensh*t fred astaire
Westbrook is the better option and that was clear on Monday. Whether he is prone to injury is irrelevant, if he gets hurt it can happen on the first carry. Splitting the carries should be directed at maintaining fresh legs, which he should have right now.
Dixon needs to prove he can run with authority and run people over, that is what he is built for.
Originally posted by boriken_9er:
Westbrook is the better option and that was clear on Monday. Whether he is prone to injury is irrelevant, if he gets hurt it can happen on the first carry. Splitting the carries should be directed at maintaining fresh legs, which he should have right now.
Dixon needs to prove he can run with authority and run people over, that is what he is built for.

Why is everyone ripping Dixon all of a sudden? The kid is a rookie, but also a stud. He has proven he can run over people and move the chains!
Originally posted by Imfasterthanur:
Originally posted by 76Razor:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
80/90 westbrook

60 percent of the time it works every time

What is that? Smells like a turd covered in burnt hair.

I'm going to be completely honest with you... that smells like pure gasoline.
Share 49ersWebzone