49ers vs. Seahawks Tickets Available! →

There are 852 users in the forums

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Field Poll: Troy's Performance Tonight

Originally posted by HessianDud:
It wasn't good.

I'd give him a C. He made a couple of throws, a couple of mistakes that against a good team would have killed us, but he didn't really have to do much. Hard to assess anyone on this team after last night, actually, because ARI just didn't care.

Troy has made some plays and shown flashes but now that we have a solid body of work to look at, he is obviously very raw. I would really like to see what he does with a full offseason of work, because right now he is very limited. I find it hard to believe that our record right now would be worse than it is if Alex were starting. In fact, I think we'd be one game better, because we would have beat Carolina.

To be fair Alex did start the Carolina game... He just didn't finish it. Also to be fair the game was tied when he went out and we had the ball, and it went downhill from there. You're right, we would have won that game if he stayed in.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
It wasn't good.

I'd give him a C. He made a couple of throws, a couple of mistakes that against a good team would have killed us, but he didn't really have to do much. Hard to assess anyone on this team after last night, actually, because ARI just didn't care.

Troy has made some plays and shown flashes but now that we have a solid body of work to look at, he is obviously very raw. I would really like to see what he does with a full offseason of work, because right now he is very limited. I find it hard to believe that our record right now would be worse than it is if Alex were starting. In fact, I think we'd be one game better, because we would have beat Carolina.

To be fair Alex did start the Carolina game... He just didn't finish it. Also to be fair the game was tied when he went out and we had the ball, and it went downhill from there. You're right, we would have won that game if he stayed in.

I also see us at 2-9 with Alex. I don't think he carries us on his back like Troy did in vs DEN and STL. Alex loses those games.
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by dtmoney49er:
Originally posted by sacniner:
Troy makes some good deep passes. Although, he is not accurate on short and mid range passes. This is obviously crucial. He has the intangibles, but unfortunately he is too inaccurate to be a quality starting NFL QB. He managed the game okay today, but overall he didn't play that well. At least he hasn't been a turnover machine.

I'm gonna get ripped for this, but in this extremely small sample size Alex Smith looks better. He is more accurate on the short and mid range passes, although, Troy throws the deep ball better. If Alex gets this kind of run support he would have obviously wont this game.

WHAT??? wasn't Alex smith the one who struggled all year in short and mid-range passes (ex:overthrown tochdown to Norris and a thousand other bad passes). dang i wonder when people gonna get over Alex, he's benched and he still a cancer. People just can't be happy for a QB who's winning. please get Alex out of your mind,He will only lead to ulcers and tumors, not trynna bash you brother, i just care about a fellow zoner's health


That's why I can't wait till the end of the season and Alex is gone and all this BS stops. It wouldn't matter if the 49er's had a quality QB, there will always be some nay sayers and Alex will always be better.

Wins and losses doesn't count with these people, so the best thing we can do is just ignore them. Knock yourselves out and root for your hero and then follow him out the door at the end of the season.

[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Nov 30, 2010 at 09:50:22 ]
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
It wasn't good.

I'd give him a C. He made a couple of throws, a couple of mistakes that against a good team would have killed us, but he didn't really have to do much. Hard to assess anyone on this team after last night, actually, because ARI just didn't care.

Troy has made some plays and shown flashes but now that we have a solid body of work to look at, he is obviously very raw. I would really like to see what he does with a full offseason of work, because right now he is very limited. I find it hard to believe that our record right now would be worse than it is if Alex were starting. In fact, I think we'd be one game better, because we would have beat Carolina.

To be fair Alex did start the Carolina game... He just didn't finish it. Also to be fair the game was tied when he went out and we had the ball, and it went downhill from there. You're right, we would have won that game if he stayed in.

I also see us at 2-9 with Alex. I don't think he carries us on his back like Troy did in vs DEN and STL. Alex loses those games.

meh, I don't want to get into a drawn-out game of "coulda been." All I know is that Troy is running a very limited playbook and getting wins in the easiest part of our schedule. His only good game was against St. Louis.
He's the first quarterback we've had since Garcia that I believe we have a chance to stay in a game.

Carr, Rattay, Dilfer, Dorsey, Alex, and even Hill all left me with the sense that unless we played defense like the 2000 Ravens, we had NO chance of winning. With Troy, if we fall behind, I have the sense that we can make it back into the game.

Also, when Troy throws the ball over 30 yards, I'm not afraid the ball will fall short or that he'll throw the wrong timing route.

Sure, Hill looked good, but he played not to lose, which works IF we can sustain a lead. troy plays to WIN, which keeps us in all our games.

[ Edited by Crazy49er1313 on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:09:24 ]
  • dj43
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 38,433
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
It wasn't good.

I'd give him a C. He made a couple of throws, a couple of mistakes that against a good team would have killed us, but he didn't really have to do much. Hard to assess anyone on this team after last night, actually, because ARI just didn't care.

Troy has made some plays and shown flashes but now that we have a solid body of work to look at, he is obviously very raw. I would really like to see what he does with a full offseason of work, because right now he is very limited. I find it hard to believe that our record right now would be worse than it is if Alex were starting. In fact, I think we'd be one game better, because we would have beat Carolina.

To be fair Alex did start the Carolina game... He just didn't finish it. Also to be fair the game was tied when he went out and we had the ball, and it went downhill from there. You're right, we would have won that game if he stayed in.

I also see us at 2-9 with Alex. I don't think he carries us on his back like Troy did in vs DEN and STL. Alex loses those games.

meh, I don't want to get into a drawn-out game of "coulda been." All I know is that Troy is running a very limited playbook and getting wins in the easiest part of our schedule. His only good game was against St. Louis.

^^^

I want to see Johnson open up the book more. Smith has displayed such a limited range it is hard to make any evaluation. This upcoming game should tell us a lot more about him and Johnson.
When the game finished, my wife was like, "aren't you happy?" I was happy that we won, but not ecstatic. Troy's performance was part of the reason I could not be beaming last night. That being said, I decided to check out his progress this year.

Game 1 vs. DEN
rating - 115.2
DEN overall def/pass def rank - 32/20

Game 2 vs. STL
rating - 116.7
STL overall def/pass def rank/rush def rank - 15/21

Game 3 vs. TB
rating - 51.5
TB overall def/pass def rnak - 9/9

Game 4 vs. ARI
rating - 61.7
ARI overall def/pass def rank - 31/25

Overall, there does not seem to be a trend. There does not seem to be a trend with Troy yet, he does well against good and bad teams. He also does bad against good and bad teams. One indicator could be INT's (Ranks: TB-2, ARI-14, STL-27, DEN-31). GB is ranked #5 in INT's!

I am hoping he can bring together a good game, as it seems that he may have been a flash in a pan with the first two games. Either way, I am still excited he plays well against GB and brings the team along with him!

[ Edited by SJniner7 on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:24:23 ]
Troy Smith in 4 games, "seems" to have leadership abilities and a good arm. Played well against 3 bad teams, so for whatever it's worth.
Regardless of who the QB is, the HC doesn't have the ability to game plan, strategize, make adjustments and put players in the right spot so they can perform to the best of their abilities.
It's sad that with a 4-7 record, we are still in the hunt for the playoffs.

The dilemma: we want the 49ers to win every game, but if that means keeping the same HC for another year... ?
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Troy Smith in 4 games, "seems" to have leadership abilities and a good arm. Played well against 3 bad teams, so for whatever it's worth.
Regardless of who the QB is, the HC doesn't have the ability to game plan, strategize, make adjustments and put players in the right spot so they can perform to the best of their abilities.
It's sad that with a 4-7 record, we are still in the hunt for the playoffs.

The dilemma: we want the 49ers to win every game, but if that means keeping the same HC for another year... ?

We will get a new head coach no matter. I think everyone is aware this team is winning in spite of its coach.
Originally posted by 49ersking:
Troy Smith in 4 games, "seems" to have leadership abilities and a good arm. Played well against 3 bad teams, so for whatever it's worth.
Regardless of who the QB is, the HC doesn't have the ability to game plan, strategize, make adjustments and put players in the right spot so they can perform to the best of their abilities.
It's sad that with a 4-7 record, we are still in the hunt for the playoffs.

The dilemma: we want the 49ers to win every game, but if that means keeping the same HC for another year... ?

We will get a new head coach no matter. I think everyone is aware this team is winning in spite of its coach.
Originally posted by Kolohe:
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Troy looks like a smart dude and has a lot of talent. I bet he's worked hard so that he won't have a repeat of the Bucs game.

I hope the whole offense worked hard so they won't have a repeat of the Bucs game.

I hope Sing noticed how bad the playcalling was and won't repeat that from the Bucs game.
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by backontop:
Troy has only looked good against 1 team and 1 team only and that was the Rams. He struggled against the Broncos and Cards and was shut out against the Bucs.

Who cares? He's 3-1 as a starter of a bad team that was 1-6 before he took over, and this without the benefit of training camp and while riding the bench as the 3rd stringer for the first 2 months (meaning no reps at all).

Seriously man, what exactly do you expect?


The second half of the season was the easiest stretch of the schedule. He SHOULD be 3-1 as a starter. IMHO the Bucs are a very average team that can only beat below .500 teams. They pretty much embarrassed us with Troy Smith as the QB. If Troy Smith was the QB against NO, PHL or even ATL we would have 3 or 4 shutouts.

You're delusional. First, you don't know what Troy would've done against NO, PHIL or ATL...nobody does, so to think that you do only makes you look foolish. Secondly, you have no sense of context. The team was 1-6 and had recently lost to the worst team in the league (CAR) who had ZERO wins before we came to town. THAT was supposed to be the easiest game on the schedule...but that's not how the NFL works.

It's easy for you to just write, "he should be 3-1." But I don't think you realize how mediocre this team is, and how limited the offense is both in philosophy and in its implementation (Troy is using a very small part of the playbook). Combine that with the overall inexperience of Troy and the wildly inconsistent play of the o-line, and you're dealing with an offense that is literally handicapped.

But hey, if that's what you believe...

I'm delusional because I actually see what is going on instead of swinging from Troy Smith's nutsack like he is the second coming of Joe Montana? Sorry but Troy Smith is not playing very well at all. He has only played one good game and that was against the Rams. While yes I do not know what Troy Smith would have done against NO, PHL or ATL I can make an educated guess based on what he did against Tampa Bay. While I admit he might not have been shut out but there would be no way in hell we won any of those games. But hey if you want to keep claiming Troy Smith as the savior of the franchise be my guest.

Look up the term "straw man." You're saying stupid s**t like "second coming," "Joe Montana" and "savior of the franchise," when I've never said anything close to that. If you want to reply to me, keep it factual, especially if you're going to say that you're "seeing what's going on."

You're intelligence is severely lacking if you think that stating facts (Troy is 3-1 as a starter) is the equivalent of swinging from his nutsack.

So, if you're going to reply to me, stick the facts. I never said Troy was "the second coming" or Joe Montana or that he's the savior of the franchise" or even that he is playing well. I never said anything close to that, but you're so intent on winning some stupid internet argument that you'll resort to making s**t up.

Go back and read my posts, then reply with something smart if you want to continue.

Did I ever say that you used those terms? Make assumptions much? If you want to assume that my one post revolves around you then you are the one that is lacking in the intelligence department (nice personal attack by the way! Next time attack the post not the poster) Once again Troy SHOULD BE 3-1 as the starter. He played the Rams, Cards and Broncos. Even Jim Drukenmiller could have beat those teams. For YOU to assume that just because Troy Smith is 3-1 as a starter actually means something is pretty hilarious. Once again look at the teams that he played.

You want facts then lets give you some facts. Alex Smith faced teams that were and are over .500. Actually 4 of the 6 teams that Alex Smith faced are over .500 with the only loss to a sub .500 team being the team beating from Seattle. Troy Smith on the other hand, 3 of the 4 teams he has played have been under .500 with the only team above .500 handing us a shut out AT HOME! Oh and this team that beat us at home was the Tampa Bay Buccaneers who haven't beat a team that is .500 or above yet this season.

Would Alex Smith be 3-1 if he started the games instead of Troy Smith? I don't know, but I am pretty confident that if Alex were still the starter than we would have beaten Carolina, Denver, St. Louis and AZ. As for Tampa I honestly don't have a clue. So I guess the fact that we are 1 game behind the Rams can be blamed on Singletary for putting in lame David Carr.

Yes, this is what you said:

Quote:
But hey if you want to keep claiming Troy Smith as the savior of the franchise be my guest.

We can't have a reasonable discussion if you can't keep your story straight. You accuse me of claiming something that I never claimed, then say you never said it...even though it's right there in your post. I never, ever in a million years would claim "Troy Smith as the savior of the franchise," as you accuse me of claiming. That's stupid. I don't believe that for a second, so I wouldn't write it.

My ONLY point was that Troy is 3-1 as a starter, and that is a fact. You say he SHOULD be 3-1 based on the competition he's faced. I think you're being unrealistic, since I don't think we're a very good team overall, and have struggled against both good and bad teams all year long. We're not a good team, yet this former 5th round pick who was picked up off the scrap heap, with no training camp and little knowledge of the full playbook and ZERO practice time with the first-string offense before his first start, has come in and guided this team to a 3-1 record. Those are all facts.

I never made this about Alex Smith, never used his name or compared him to Troy in terms of who they should or should not have beaten. We can all have our educated guesses as to what would've happened if Alex started the last 4 games, or if Troy started the entire season, or if (as you say) Drukenmiller would've won 3 out of the last 4 games as Troy has done.

Speculate all you want, that's of no concern to me. My only point has been, this whole time, that Troy Smith is 3-1 as a starter and regardless of the teams he's faced or how well (or not) he's played, he's managed to lead his team to victory in 3 out of the 4 games he's started.

That doesn't mean he's the next Joe Montana, or the savior of the franchise or even that he's a good QB. It just means he's found a way to win these games and at the end of the day, those are the only facts that count in the NFL (wins/losses).

[ Edited by GhostofFredDean74 on Nov 30, 2010 at 10:31:26 ]
Troy takes us to SB, final.

Next question.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
  • Posts: 8,476
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Speculate all you want, that's of no concern to me. My only point has been, this whole time, that Troy Smith is 3-1 as a starter and regardless of the teams he's faced or how well (or not) he's played, he's managed to lead his team to victory in 3 out of the 4 games he's started.

That doesn't mean he's the next Joe Montana, or the savior of the franchise or even that he's a good QB. It just means he's found a way to win these games and at the end of the day, those are the only facts that count in the NFL (wins/losses).

Logic fail.

He didn't lead anything last night. The running game and defense lead the team to victory. Troy did his best not to lose the game.

This is a team sport. Troy played his part and did not cause us to lose the game. He gets no credit for wins and losses. The team gets credit for wins and losses.

This is the most illogical thing that people say on this forum.

Troy did not have a good game.
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:

Speculate all you want, that's of no concern to me. My only point has been, this whole time, that Troy Smith is 3-1 as a starter and regardless of the teams he's faced or how well (or not) he's played, he's managed to lead his team to victory in 3 out of the 4 games he's started.

That doesn't mean he's the next Joe Montana, or the savior of the franchise or even that he's a good QB. It just means he's found a way to win these games and at the end of the day, those are the only facts that count in the NFL (wins/losses).

Logic fail.

He didn't lead anything last night. The running game and defense lead the team to victory. Troy did his best not to lose the game.

This is a team sport. Troy played his part and did not cause us to lose the game. He gets no credit for wins and losses. The team gets credit for wins and losses.

This is the most illogical thing that people say on this forum.

Troy did not have a good game.

Fine, don't give credit to Troy... Lets give credit to the team. The TEAM has 3 wins out of 4 games with Troy starting at QB. They have only 1 win out of 7 games without Troy starting.

Obviously the stats support that the TEAM plays better and Wins more with Troy starting. Even if the game plan doesn't have Troy throwing for +300 yards and wants to focus on the run. The TEAM still plays better with Troy starting!
Open Menu Search Share 49ersWebzone