LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 310 users in the forums

receivers getting open?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Wodwo:
Originally posted by susweel:

Yah figured out in one game is a completely absurd statement.

No... it isn't. I've been talking about the possibility since I was saying he should be the starter in London.

Kurt Warner said he was figured out before the game even started. He called it. He said that the Bucs needed to force Troy to throw from the pocket... remember that?

Keep Troy from extending a play outside the pocket and he fails.

It was one game. It was one game against the worst pass rushing team in the NFL.

But hey, I could be wrong. We'll see what happens next week.

Exactly lets see what happens, he may very have been figured out but I'd like to see more then one game of it.

Yah figured out in one game is a completely absurd statement.

No... it isn't. I've been talking about the possibility since I was saying he should be the starter in London.

Kurt Warner said he was figured out before the game even started. He called it. He said that the Bucs needed to force Troy to throw from the pocket... remember that?

Keep Troy from extending a play outside the pocket and he fails.

It was one game. It was one game against the worst pass rushing team in the NFL.

But hey, I could be wrong. We'll see what happens next week.

He should be fine next week. I predict an average game, much like Alex's vs. the Raiders, something like that. It's against good teams that are mediocre or above that will cause him trouble, because our staff will be brutally overmatched and the talent won't be enough to overcome it (i.e. heaving the ball 30 yards in the air won't work as well).
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by niner4life21:
And for those of you saying Smith's never had a game as bad as Troy's yesterday, lets look at this, shall we.
20 37 54.1 177 4.8 1 3

From last season against Philly...

And this is just one of the examples I can give. Anyone wants anymore?

He wasn't worse than Troy in that game, there was actually some semblance of effectiveness there. We we're actually in that game until the end. We scored, moved the ball, and entered the redzone multiple times in that game, although it was pretty horrible. Plus, this debacle yesterday was at home, much more embarrassing.

Well, ok. I guess thats not enough to convince you. Ill bring up a game from 2006 and you might say its irrelevant to bring up a game from that long ago, but if people brag about his 'great' game against Seattle that year, i can bring this up, too.
14 28 50.0 171 6.1 1 3

Against the Saints. Guys, I could keep going on and on. A terrible game is a terrible game. Troy had one yesterday. Alex has had numerous throughout his career.

Give.Up.Already

That game wasn't as bad as Troy's either, plus it wasn't at home either. We actually scored 10 points in that game and reached the redzone multiple times as well. I don't think you really have a grasp as to how bad Troy's game was (again, he wasn't the only one to blame). It was one of the worst offensive outputs this team has ever had EVER. Not only did we not reach the redzone, we DIDN'T EVEN CROSS THE 30 YARD LINE..............AT HOME!

I'm done lol. Idk what to say to this. It doesn't matter if the QB magically scored 10 points if he kept giving it away to the other team. I repeat, troy's game was terrible yesterday.

At the end of the day, its all opinion. Alex Smith won't be here next year, and Troy has a big chance of being gone, too. thats all that matters.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Give.Up.Already

You still don't understand the point.

"Alexcuses" are real and valid excuses.

Troy Smith could be good if the receivers ran the right routes and the o-line could block, but they can't. Now that teams know that Troy had success because he was able to extend plays, they'll work to take that away.

The QB isn't the problem. It's never been the problem. Part of the problem? Some games yes, some games no.

Football is a team sport. People who were blaming everything on Alex refused to admit that. They said it was all about the QB... well, they were obviously wrong.

Give.Up.Already

Troy Smith could be good if the receivers ran the right routes and the o-line could block, but they can't. Now that teams know that Troy had success because he was able to extend plays, they'll work to take that away.

The QB isn't the problem. It's never been the problem. Part of the problem? Some games yes, some games no.

Football is a team sport. People who were blaming everything on Alex refused to admit that. They said it was all about the QB... well, they were obviously wrong.

Give.Up.Already

Yep. Alex Smith hasn't ever been the problem. He's been programmed by the engineers inside Ninerland to suck balls.

I know niether Troy or Alex has much of a supporting cast (especially the coaches), but you gotta give blame to the QB. I can't wait to get rid of Alex, Sing, the other dips**ts after this year so we can finally start over....
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Exactly lets see what happens, he may very have been figured out but I'd like to see more then one game of it.

Ok, I can't blame you for that. My only problem with starting him is that I really like the kid and I want him to be at least our #2 next season. He can't do that if he's dead. That's obviously melodramatic, but I am worried about him getting seriously injured considering how many hits and sacks he's taking.

Hopefully Troy is smarter than out coaching staff and figures out how to protect himself.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Ok, I can't blame you for that. My only problem with starting him is that I really like the kid and I want him to be at least our #2 next season. He can't do that if he's dead. That's obviously melodramatic, but I am worried about him getting seriously injured considering how many hits and sacks he's taking.

Hopefully Troy is smarter than out coaching staff and figures out how to protect himself.

Aren't you worried about Alex's health ?
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

He should be fine next week. I predict an average game, much like Alex's vs. the Raiders, something like that. It's against good teams that are mediocre or above that will cause him trouble, because our staff will be brutally overmatched and the talent won't be enough to overcome it (i.e. heaving the ball 30 yards in the air won't work as well).

Ummm... I really hope you're right, but I'm still worried. The Bucs pass rush was worst in the league.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

Ummm... I really hope you're right, but I'm still worried. The Bucs pass rush was worst in the league.

I was at the game and I counted twice when he held onto the ball for too long which resulted in sacks. Other than that, the pass protection was atrocious.

And no, i do not keep a double standard for Alex Smith and Troy Smith. What pisses me off is the numerous times when Smith has time but he has happy feet and just checks it down. Thats the thing that I HATE about Smith. Or even better, the infamous roll out to the right, throw it away...
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

Through 6 1/2 games Alex was sacked 13 times. Troy was sacked 11 times in the last two games.

Also, we've been giving up more QB hits since Troy took over. We're actually worse than Martz's Bears. We were ranked in the last two or three in the league all season... now... dead last.

Now that teams know to contain Troy, I'm far more worried about him than I am about Alex.
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran

I was at the game and I counted twice when he held onto the ball for too long which resulted in sacks. Other than that, the pass protection was atrocious.

And no, i do not keep a double standard for Alex Smith and Troy Smith. What pisses me off is the numerous times when Smith has time but he has happy feet and just checks it down. Thats the thing that I HATE about Smith. Or even better, the infamous roll out to the right, throw it away...

Yeah, they ate our o-line for lunch.

I agree with you about Alex, too.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal

Through 6 1/2 games Alex was sacked 13 times. Troy was sacked 11 times in the last two games.

Also, we've been giving up more QB hits since Troy took over. We're actually worse than Martz's Bears. We were ranked in the last two or three in the league all season... now... dead last.

Now that teams know to contain Troy, I'm far more worried about him than I am about Alex.

Yah Troy does hold the ball too long sometimes.
susweel destroys his credibilty when he makes such laughable statements as "Alex has been stinking it up for six years" and "Alex sucks and it is not even debatable."

Well, I am going to debate you, susweel.

For the last four years, the OC has been a serious problem. Debate that. The OL has been a serious problem ever since Alex was drafted. The receiving corps has been subpar as well. All of these problems take a toll on a QB. Alex has been coached ever since he was drafted to play cautious by defensive-minded HCs.

Let's look at this year: Under Raye, Alex's rating was 82.2 against NO, the league's 2nd best pass defense. Under Johnson, his rating was 92.8 against PHIL, the league's 14th rated pass defense. His rating was 87.4 against OAK, the league's 4th best pass defense. That is not stinking it up. In fact, it is pretty good.

For my part, I do not want Troy benched, and thank God that Alex remains on the bench, but for different reasons. I want him to be able to leave this insane asylum with still functioning shoulders. He has been loyal to this organization long enough. They never delivered on their end, either for him or for the fans.
Share 49ersWebzone