There are 86 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Not just the offense..

The defense is just as bad. But I think its more scheme. Teams know how to play our 3-4. They know Manusky is not aggressive.

If you fans noticed, against the Rams we played a lot of 4-3. It amounted to 1-2 sacks. However, Bradford was pressured. I think there were few plays if not for pressure he would have hit a few guys and walked over us.

However the season plays out this is the biggest change in my eyes. There are free agents and players in the draft that can make this a quick change.
  • boast
  • Hall of Fame
the entire organization sucks. top to bottom.
Our secondary is getting lit the hell up. Our run defense got a little beat up yesterday, but for the most part it was OK. Teams throw on us like we've only got ten on the field. It's time for a new scheme. And by scheme I mean coaching staff.
  • Otter
  • Veteran
the defense isn't aggressive, you're right, but it also spends 59 out of 60 minutes on the field.
I've said this before. I like the 3-4 and I think we have the pieces to run it well.

However, we don't blitz nearly enough. There should be a linebacker coming on almost every play if not more than one. Manusky's love affair with just rushing three kills us. We give quarterbacks all the time in the world to throw the ball which then makes our secondary look bad. Take a look around the league. Our secondary isnt terrible at all. It's just that we bite on double moves. But if we blitzed more and put pressure on the QB offenses wont have time to run those patterns and Nate and company would be able to successfully jump routes.

It's a scheme problem therefore a coaching problem. Not a player problem. We obviously needs another player or two but our defense is solid. And like someone else said on here, when youre on the field for 40 minutes a game because the offense cant get a first down, it makes things even worse.

OUR PROBLEMS LIE IN COACHING AND OFFENSIVE EXECUTION!
d can only be out there so long before they start to wear down.
Originally posted by Reckless:
The defense is just as bad. But I think its more scheme. Teams know how to play our 3-4. They know Manusky is not aggressive.

If you fans noticed, against the Rams we played a lot of 4-3. It amounted to 1-2 sacks. However, Bradford was pressured. I think there were few plays if not for pressure he would have hit a few guys and walked over us.

However the season plays out this is the biggest change in my eyes. There are free agents and players in the draft that can make this a quick change.

What? Manusky not agressive? You don't know what you're talking about. The problem lies in the fact that we're TOO aggressive on Defense. Nothing wrong with being aggressive but when you're keying on the Run, you leave yourself exposed for Play Action and Screens. Then you have no choice but to dial it back somewhat and the opposing QB gets to sit back in the pocket and kill you.

Please stop with the "Teams know how to play against the 3-4" nonsense. It's not scheme. In fact teams are more in tune with how to play against the 4-3 than the 3-4. With the 3-4 you can send players from any location after the QB. Sometimes however, you guess wrong and the QB takes advantage of the mistake. Good QBs' will do that.

With the 4-3 you're stuck with 4 men on the Line and in order to send someone in they have to disengage with their assignment in order to fill a gap. That's all well and good except every one of our opponents this season have gotten away with a lot of holding. At least in the 3-4 it allows Bam Bam to roam and follow his nose because TKO is next to him. In a 4-3 Bam Bam will not have the same impact he does with the 3-4. OLinemen will double up DLmen with a Lineman and the Back in order to get a Lineman to clean up the MLB. Yeah that's what we need to do, go to the 4-3 and nullify Bam Bam for the Opponent.

The problem with Manusky is his ass is on the sidelines. You never saw Seifert or Brown or Johnson or any solid Coordinator on the sidelines. On the sidelines you cannot see the other side of the field. It makes it easy for the opposing Coordinators to flip their schemes and you only see half of the play. It's not like you can go from End Zone to End Zone. There is a place where personnel are supposed to stand. So it's not like Manusky can get behind the opposing Offense toward the End Zone. By time the Opposing Offense is in the Red Zone it's pretty much too late for Manusky to adjust the Defense. Especially when the Opposing is running 2 minute drill.

Manusky either needs to get his ass up in the booth or take it down the road.

It's not the scheme it's the perspective of the guy sending in the calls. Always has been. Losing Bly kind of sucks too cause he brought swagger and experience with him. Our secondary is still young and make youthful mistakes.

So please can we stop with the 4-3 chant. Our guys are solid. Our DC is just not in the right place to make informed calls. Being on the sideline puts us at the disadvantage.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Sjceruti:
I've said this before. I like the 3-4 and I think we have the pieces to run it well.

However, we don't blitz nearly enough. There should be a linebacker coming on almost every play if not more than one. Manusky's love affair with just rushing three kills us. We give quarterbacks all the time in the world to throw the ball which then makes our secondary look bad. Take a look around the league. Our secondary isnt terrible at all. It's just that we bite on double moves. But if we blitzed more and put pressure on the QB offenses wont have time to run those patterns and Nate and company would be able to successfully jump routes.

It's a scheme problem therefore a coaching problem. Not a player problem. We obviously needs another player or two but our defense is solid. And like someone else said on here, when youre on the field for 40 minutes a game because the offense cant get a first down, it makes things even worse.

OUR PROBLEMS LIE IN COACHING AND OFFENSIVE EXECUTION!

You draft agrubly the best athlete in the draft (TMays) and you do not coach the kid up to be an impact player??? All I've read is that he wants to be. You don't replace him with an average football player and mess up his confidence. Pete Carroll did enough of that.
I'm the guy that doesn't know what I'm talking about..?

Yet, Dre Bly who couldnt make it the Lions roster, killed us?

HIRE WADE PHILLIPS, for DC of course!
Manusky is too short and has too small of hands. We should replace him ASAP!

Originally posted by Reckless:
I'm the guy that doesn't know what I'm talking about..?

Yet, Dre Bly who couldnt make it the Lions roster, killed us?

Not having experienced players in the Secondary besides Nate and Spencer killed us. Duh!

But I guess you could have read that differently than I intended it to be.

~Ceadder
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Manusky's vanilla playcalling is just bad...hes needs to go just like singletary
even the ravens or steelers d would look s**tty with our offense keeping them on the field the whole time
The entire team had a rallying point when Troy Smith took the helm and did well for the first two games. Now that Troy struggled, the honeymoon period is over and it's back to having to listen to Iron Mike's blubbering.

Right now the majority of the team is playing for nothing more then their paychecks. The season is over and they are on cruise control because there is little else to prove.