LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 250 users in the forums

It starts and ends with the oline.NOT EVEN JOE COULD SUCCEED HERE

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I like how people like to blame Alex Smith for almost all the sacks. But I'd sure like them to explain how Shaun Hill and his, according to them (implied), God-like quick release.. In 6 games (technically 5.5) he was sacked 18 times in 2009, but Alex in the same year in 11 games (technically 10.5) was sacked 22 times.

So you're telling me Shaun Hill would be avoiding these sacks that Alex is taking now, because of his "quick release," when.. this guy.. in HALF as many games as Alex got sacked almost the same amount? Clearly he's not any better than Alex when it comes to sack evasion, quick release or not.

So is it more the QB or the OL? In the other analysis thread, the consensus is pretty clear for the most part after people had a chance to review the OL's failure to protect for even 1 whole second.
did u take pass attempts into consideration?

imo, if shaun was still here, alex wouldn't beat him out for the starting job. alex's biggest fanboys singletary and scotty mac had to trade shaun just so alex could win the starting role....and get the captain patch.

i personaly think hill would thrive in harbaugh's offense.

Like Alex has?

And yep. That's exactly what I did. Shaun Hill is worse at holding the ball too long than Smith apparently. If Shaun Hill was starting here, I seriously doubt we'd have 10 wins. This quick release nonsense is bogus. Hill is overrated by the Zone. Since Hill is even worse at holding it too long, we'd be even worse off with Hill. With Alex, they at least have to respect the fact that he can throw the deep ball. Right now, they don't respect our OL. If our line could hold for more than 1-1.5 seconds, you can bet we'd be doing much better on offense.

I feel like people forgot what happened when teams figured Hill out. Offense was nonfunctional. Hill was averaging less than a TD per game. Alex comes in and starts putting up close to 2 TDs per game afterwards, but he forced more throws. He's not doing that now.

Every time I hear someone say "We traded Hill just to make Alex feel better and give him confidence" I get a kick out of it. Totally baseless and just something to throw out there to try to make Smith look bad. If Hill deserved to start anywhere he would. He got traded for a 7th rounder because that was all he was worth. He has never started a full NFL season anywhere. He's 31 and has no upside.
X2
Originally posted by 1251alex:
lololol. piss poor trolling attempt. thats why the s**tty ass Lions got rid of him right? lolololol.

Had to, he was showing Stafford up! Dang! The way these coaches just kill teams so they can favor one player over another. You'd think they'd have more concern for their own careers.
Originally posted by 305Niner:
O line has played bad, but you people act like this is the worse line in the league. Not to mention that quite a few of those sacks are from Smith doing his patent "dear in headlights" look. He doesn't get the ball out quick enough.

Check the stats for OLines and you will see that they are, in fact, at the bottom of the league. Injuries have contributed to this but that was not the point being discussed--effectiveness is. This line is a C and RG away from being a good line. Goodwin is on his way down, which is why the 9ers were able to pick him up and Rachal is already all but gone. Staley is injured again and may never be the player he was, at least not consistently. Snyder is a career back-up and has nice versatility but he and Goodwin are whiffing against the middle blitz, whether a problem of scheme or just slow play I don't have any idea.

Smith has shown little to no "deer in the headlights" look this year and has improved. Can you at least be fair and list the QBs who would likely be on IR if hit as many times as Smith has been this year--for whatever reason.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by susweel:
Its sad because all those guys are high draft picks. We can't even afford to spend anymore picks on oline.

No kidding. Anyone remember the days when Walsh would pick up guys in the late rounds and McKittrick would turn them into pro bowlers? Bobb McKittrick is one of those guys that has been sorely missed. Jesse Sapolu was picked up in round 11 and made 2 pro bowls and earned 4 rings as an example.
[ Edited by BobS on Dec 17, 2011 at 9:06 AM ]
Originally posted by BobS:
No kidding. Anyone remember the days when Walsh would pick up guys in the late rounds and McKittrick would turn them into pro bowlers? Bobb McKittrick is one of those guys that has been sorely missed. Jesse Sapolu was picked up in round 11 and made 2 pro bowls and earned 4 rings as an example.

Bobb was a special coach. Not sure what he would have done with Rachal.... I think it doesn't matter if you have all high picks, if they don't work out you still need to invest in the OLine. A second round OC or RG would be a wise investment next draft unless they can upgrade via FAcy. Most of their lines of the 80s were from that year or earlier.

The 9ers drafted five OLinemen in 1978 (year before Walsh and McKittrick) and the best was Fred Quillan, 6'5 261 center.

Fahnhorst (1974) was the 9ers biggest lineman (until Bubba) at 6-6, 273 and was actually a higher draft choice along with Cross, Barrett and Downing--2nd round; and Hughes in the 3rd round.

The 9ers were somewhat fortunate that most teams were going for heavy linemen. They had their pick of the lanky, athletic guys.

imo, if shaun was still here, alex wouldn't beat him out for the starting job. alex's biggest fanboys singletary and scotty mac had to trade shaun just so alex could win the starting role....and get the captain patch.

lololol. piss poor trolling attempt. thats why the s**tty ass Lions got rid of him right? lolololol.

what in the world are you talking about? what's all the lols for? do you even follow footbal besides the 9ers?
Originally posted by YungAce:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

i wanna know what you edited a year later lmao

It was that pic with the skunk eating a cats' food and the cat is looking at the cam while the skunk is eating his stuff.

google '' Yo is this n*gga serious?''

New webzone rules and all.
Something is wrong somewhere with the o line
O line has played bad, but you people act like this is the worse line in the league. Not to mention that quite a few of those sacks are from Smith doing his patent "dear in headlights" look. He doesn't get the ball out quick enough.

Yeah we are 10-3 for a reason and its not Alex Smith.

what in the world are you talking about? what's all the lols for? do you even follow footbal besides the 9ers?

I think he is laughing at the silly ass comment about Hill beating out Smith if he was here, I have to admit I got a much needed laugh from it myself after being down with the flu for a week I needed a good chuckle.

Firstly, it pretty much is the worst O line.

On the subject of our starting quarterback, a long time ago now I spent ages arguing with fellow 49ers fans on the subject of our qb looking like a deer in car headlights. Eventually they shut up. The quarterback's name was Steve Young. So this argument is very tired.

Regarding Smith, I have not seen a 49ers qb with more guts.
If we lose tonight, bye bye to a bye
Joe could succeed with this offensive line if the offense was a true west coast offense. Right now, the offense is a power run offense with some short passes thrown in for good measure, but the offensive line is blocking like a power run line-not like a west coast offense line.
The whole offense must gel. As Bill Walsh emphasized, the running backs are an extension of the offensive line who are an extension of the quarterback and so on. Everyone is an extension of everyone else. The offensive is geared around the power run game. If the offensive was geared around the short timing passing game the line would only need to hold their blocks for two to three seconds vs. four seconds and everyone on the defense dog pile the quarterback.
Originally posted by English:

Firstly, it pretty much is the worst O line.

On the subject of our starting quarterback, a long time ago now I spent ages arguing with fellow 49ers fans on the subject of our qb looking like a deer in car headlights. Eventually they shut up. The quarterback's name was Steve Young. So this argument is very tired.

Regarding Smith, I have not seen a 49ers qb with more guts.

i would bet that if there was a forty niners web zone when steve young was playing, many would be taking him to task for his play.....after all, for all the talented teams he was on, he only guided niners to one championship, and he had several epic playoff failures (green bay, atlanta come to mind)
Share 49ersWebzone