There are 100 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Kurt Warner on playing against the Niners

"You know, I hated playing against the Niners. It's funny - for whatever reason they always matched up really, really well against us. I go back to when Nate (Clements) and Walt (Harris) were here. They just matched up really well with Larry (Fitzgerald) and Q (Anquan Boldin). And they understood how we did things. "

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/11/kurt-warner-the.html#ixzz15mO8tUpt

Interesting

[ Edited by verb1der on Nov 19, 2010 at 16:54:12 ]
Division Rivals

It could be that teams in the same division build and scheme against each other because they play each other twice a year?
Damn right! We own those biatches!
We have the Cards #...
Originally posted by RYPTOUT:
Division Rivals

It could be that teams in the same division build and scheme against each other because they play each other twice a year?

You are right about that, it just sucks that now that Kurt is retired, the Cards really did collapse and it was supposed to the Niners year this year!!!
GO NINERS!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by RYPTOUT:
Division Rivals

As Warner said, we matched up very well with them. We all knew this. It's the same thing with the raiders and Chargers. No matter how much better the Chargers were as a team, they've always had trouble with the less-talented raiders. Sure, the Chargers won most of the games against Oakland, but they had trouble doing it and they dropped the game with the raiders earlier this year despite being the better team. We have the personnel to give the Cardinals problems even when they were clearly the better team.
As I read the piece below, why Alex Smith on the back of my mind the whole time!?

Have you talked to Troy Smith and did you see the leadership qualities for which he's known?

KW: Not so much one on one. I've talked to him a couple of times, and there's certain guys that get to this level who you never feel like a situation is too big for them. They have a calm about them. And, to a man, when you talk to someone about Troy Smith, and what I've seen from him when I talked to him, he's got that same thing. Where it just seems like - it's al most like he's got life under control. Football's just a part of it, but it's not the most important thing. And I think you need that to be successful - realizing that it's not all about football. And you can settle in and no matter what happens - good, bad - it's not going to define you. And with that comes a confidence that, I'm going to be just fine no matter what. So you love having those guys on your team, especially the quarterback because you know nothing's going to faze him. If something goes wrong, ok, I'm going to line up and I'm going to do it again. If something goes great, well, I expected that to happen. And that's kind of the feeling you get with Troy and that's kind of the impression he's made on all of his teammates even though he's only played a couple of games for them. He's got that feel about him. And that's rare, and I think that's important at the position.

Read more: http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2010/11/kurt-warner-the.html#ixzz15mTcfZlv

[ Edited by verb1der on Nov 19, 2010 at 17:14:47 ]
Originally posted by verb1der:
As I read the piece below, why Alex Smith on the back of my mind the whole time!?

Because he's the exact opposite of what Kurt Warner was describing.
its funny how we seem to match up well against a team we play twice a year every year for the rest of our lives....or is every league like that cause they see them all the time..yep that is it.
Originally posted by 49erRider:

I'm not attempting to bash Alex, but Kurt put it in really good perspective
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:
its funny how we seem to match up well against a team we play twice a year every year for the rest of our lives....or is every league like that cause they see them all the time..yep that is it.

We didn't match up well with Seattle for a while and STL owned us when Warner was there. None of the teams matched up well with us when we were in the Golden years.

It's not just the fact that we play them twice a year. Your personnel has to match up well or it won't work.

I'm not attempting to bash Alex, but Kurt put it in really good perspective

The thing is, the truth is the truth, whether it "bashes" a player or not.

If I'm at work and I don't know how to do my job, someone is going to point that out. Is it bashing me? Not really, it's just the truth.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Thank god Warner is gone
Originally posted by Rubberneck36:

We didn't match up well with Seattle for a while and STL owned us when Warner was there. None of the teams matched up well with us when we were in the Golden years.

It's not just the fact that we play them twice a year. Your personnel has to match up well or it won't work.

schemes and familiarization have a lot to do with it though. We know their playbook so well cause we see it all the time. Out old days aren't comparable because you couldn't match up at all. You can get beat every once in a while but normally, you won't be as dominating against your regular opponents. Look at the NFC east, they kill people but beat each other up. Same as the PAC 10