There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sharing Playing time between Mays/Reggie Smith

Why is Reggie smith really sharing snaps with Taylor Mays this game? Earlier during the week before they confirmed who Reggie smith would be sharing snaps with, I assumed it would be Goldson because "supposedly" (which i doubt, just excuse for his poor play) is playing injured. whats the real reason Reggie will be sharing snaps with Mays, is it because..

1.) Mays is making to many costy rookie mistakes at critical times in the game?????
2.) Mays stated before by him playing special teams and all the snaps on defense h'es gets fatigued at the end of the game????
3.) Reggie played agaist sam bradford before and might provide better play then mays for this certain situation because of his familiarity?
4. Maybe another reason?

Read this on rotoworld.com
Its because Mays is giving up the nappy dugout to much.
[ Edited by susweel on Nov 11, 2010 at 12:05 PM ]
Mays is teachin Smith how to dougie, while Reggie is teaching Mays how to pay attention.

We micromanage here at ninercamp.
Competition, Mays needs to correct his mistakes faster by hinting his job is not secure.
I am not sure why he is taking Mays' minutes. But I can't seem to remember if Smith has the best cover skills of the three. That isn't saying much.

Also, are the Niners worried that Mays will hit the rookie wall?
smith should be replacing goldson
I would say its more about keeping Mays fresh for the rest of the season. You dont want Mays playing tired and making mistakes he might not make otherwise.
It's b/c the coaching staff is retarded. Just let one of them play. Splitting time just means neither are getting the job done, and it's nto helping either guy's development. Let one of them play and build up there confidence, and consistency.
Originally posted by crabman82:

This could be a roundabout way of seeing him in action without removing Goldson, we bench Mays...big deal. We bench Goldson and he will be asking for his walking papers in no time.
Because mays is a starter and he needs time to rest also. Reggie is a backup and can spell both mays and goldson. at different times of the game.
Originally posted by TonyStarks:
Mays is teachin Smith how to dougie, while Reggie is teaching Mays how to pay attention.

We micromanage here at ninercamp.

this, well at least in passing downs. Goldson flies in and makes tackles against the run but then goes full retard in pass coverage
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Because mays is a starter and he needs time to rest also. Reggie is a backup and can spell both mays and goldson. at different times of the game.

It's because Mays is the only player on the team who plays on all special teams. Mays will control how much RSmith plays by how he feels...during a long drive. Mays is clearly better.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:

Very correct. Goldson should sit
Originally posted by jreff22:

This could be a roundabout way of seeing him in action without removing Goldson, we bench Mays...big deal. We bench Goldson and he will be asking for his walking papers in no time.

This is what I was thinking... They are giving him playing time to see how he is doing, if he performs at a high level, he takes goldsons spot.
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home