LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

Fined for this?!?!

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Originally posted by LAFortyNinerfan:
Guys,

How has every single one of you missed the point that Goodell is simply trying to protect the players from injury? We should be applauding him. Obviously, unlike Madden, there is no "injury off" option in real life. Therefore, Goodell has come up with a method for simulating the injury off button in live futbol...sorry, I meant football.

Goodell For War General!!! No shooting below the knees or above the neck...or in the chest.

This is football bro. They get paid mega millions for hitting each other. I understand you have to protect the players, but, hitting is a party of the game. If you can't stop an average OLB fom doing a stunt and getting a free shot, then Orton shouldn't have stood tall and try to throw a pass. He got hit clean and the No Fun LEague is telling manny, "good play, but we're gonna fine the s**t out of u because we need the money during the lock out season to make payroll."

A lot of silly fines have been handed out to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars per week. They used the Djax hit, which was high profile because of Djax, to further their agenda. Like that was the only major hit we've seen in NFL history.

Besides the injuries, Goodall has essentially eliminated celebrations. You can't have team celebrations anymore, use props, use the football (besides spinking), excess celebrations, tweet during games, attempting to ban Ocho Cinco from changing his name. The legal system stepped in the way of their tyrannical asses for that one.

It might be time to bring in the legal system again. Handing out arbitrary fines for clean hits that don't even render a flag? Changing the rules mid season without true discussions with the players association and the owners? They are out of control and should be sued pretty soon here.

I tried to make it clear that I was being VERY sarcastic. Oh well, I'll try harder next time.
Originally posted by Young2Rice:
Guys,

How has every single one of you missed the point that Goodell is simply trying to protect the players from injury? We should be applauding him. Obviously, unlike Madden, there is no "injury off" option in real life. Therefore, Goodell has come up with a method for simulating the injury off button in live futbol...sorry, I meant football.

Goodell For War General!!! No shooting below the knees or above the neck...or in the chest.

This is football bro. They get paid mega millions for hitting each other. I understand you have to protect the players, but, hitting is a party of the game. If you can't stop an average OLB fom doing a stunt and getting a free shot, then Orton shouldn't have stood tall and try to throw a pass. He got hit clean and the No Fun LEague is telling manny, "good play, but we're gonna fine the s**t out of u because we need the money during the lock out season to make payroll."

A lot of silly fines have been handed out to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars per week. They used the Djax hit, which was high profile because of Djax, to further their agenda. Like that was the only major hit we've seen in NFL history.

Besides the injuries, Goodall has essentially eliminated celebrations. You can't have team celebrations anymore, use props, use the football (besides spinking), excess celebrations, tweet during games, attempting to ban Ocho Cinco from changing his name. The legal system stepped in the way of their tyrannical asses for that one.

It might be time to bring in the legal system again. Handing out arbitrary fines for clean hits that don't even render a flag? Changing the rules mid season without true discussions with the players association and the owners? They are out of control and should be sued pretty soon here.

I tried to make it clear that I was being VERY sarcastic. Oh well, I'll try harder next time.

My bad. I stopped reading your post after the first 2 sentences.
As a person who played football for 8 years growing up (pop warner-high school) I find the new rules Goodell and the owners have implemented to be offensive. This is pathetic. If hits are acceptable in pop warner/high school/college, they should be acceptable for professional athletes who make millions of dollars. It truly is a slap in the face to everybody who has (and continues to) played football.

F U Goodell and Owners.

I want to add that I think this is a bargaining tool for the CBA.
Originally posted by YouGotGored:
As a person who played football for 8 years growing up (pop warner-high school) I find the new rules Goodell and the owners have implemented to be offensive. This is pathetic. If hits are acceptable in pop warner/high school/college, they should be acceptable for professional athletes who make millions of dollars. It truly is a slap in the face to everybody who has (and continues to) played football.

F U Goodell and Owners.

I want to add that I think this is a bargaining tool for the CBA.

I think Goodell wants this league to be a two-hand-touch game after it's all said and done. Maybe even put some flags on the QB to pull to notify that you have sacked the QB ROFL.
He'd better win the appeal of this fine (I'm assuming he'll appeal). He didn't lead with his helmet, didn't hit him in the head, didn't hit him in the legs, didn't drive him into the ground with a shoulder, didn't explode upward at him. He made a clean, head up tackle where his facemask was against his chest. You couldn't make a cleaner hit on a QB.

I mean, the fine is the smallest possible, but this is the kind of aggressive hit that should be used as an example of how you can get a good hit the right way.
[ Edited by mug0mug on Nov 5, 2010 at 8:04 PM ]
so now......

you're not allowed to hit the QB in the legs, chest or head......

why wear pads?
  • Jiks
This guy needs to be fined as well

[ Edited by JiksJuicy on Nov 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM ]
"WTF are you supposed to do chest bump him until he falls down?"

well, according to the commissioner, some officials and elton john, defenders will have to come up from behind and just hold him until the referees BLOW!!!

in other words, they want players to start fondling each other's junk and jump roping and and playing patty cakes and sh!t like that.

this is turning into a pu$$y motherf****r sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
This is just Gay.... That was a the definition of a form tackle.. Step dip and lift
"Unnecessarily striking the opposing quarterback in the chest area with his helmet."

The raw stupidity of the above statement defies all belief. It means that they don't understand basic physics and/or body mechanics.

Logic:
1) Your helmet cannot hit the player in the chest during a tackle. Therefore, you must tackle another way.
2) Your helmet cannot hit their helmet during a tackle. Therefore you can't go higher than the chest.
3) Your helmet cannot hit below the chest, because this would require you to "spear" the player. Therefore, you can't go lower than the chest either.
4) Hitting a player with your helmet in the thigh is both useless and dangerous for many reasons.
5) Hitting a player below the knee results in a penalty and fine.

Therefore, you cannot ever tackle and hit the quarterback with your helmet on ANY part of the quarterbacks body.

Logic:
1) You cannot make a full speed tackle without using two arms.
2) You cannot use two arms and tackle at full speed, unless your helmet is on the center of gravity of the quarterback.
3) If the helmet is on the quarterbacks center of gravity, it is making forceful contact.

Therefore, you cannot tackle a quarterback at full speed in the NFL.

In other words, when tackling a quarterback, you must slow down, grapple him, and then spin him to the ground (make sure you don't touch his head in the process).

Many times a blocker is slowing down the player anyway, and this is what naturally happens; or the quarterback takes a step to the side, forcing the defender to slow down naturally, and break him down. But if a quarterback does not take a step to the side and a defender is unblocked, this new rule means that the defender must slow himself down to the "proper" speed, before tackling a quarterback.

When the idiots who wrote that rule say, "unnecessary," they are confusing the issue, because it is absolutely necessary to use your helmet when tackling at full speed. Arm tackling at full speed is nearly impossible. My God, they are so dumb.

Instead of giving a player impossible conditions using 350 unclear and stupid rules, just tell them, "Slow down when hitting a quarterback." At LEAST then everyone knows what the rule is.

Originally posted by mug0mug:
He'd better win the appeal of this fine (I'm assuming he'll appeal). He didn't lead with his helmet, didn't hit him in the head, didn't hit him in the legs, didn't drive him into the ground with a shoulder, didn't explode upward at him. He made a clean, head up tackle where his facemask was against his chest. You couldn't make a cleaner hit on a QB.

I mean, the fine is the smallest possible, but this is the kind of aggressive hit that should be used as an example of how you can get a good hit the right way.

What I would like to see is one full speed EXAMPLE of how on earth you tackle a quarterback in the NFL.
I dare anyone to find a SINGLE video, where a quarterback is tackled at full speed, where the player is not making forceful contact with his helmet.
Originally posted by backontop:
The NFL might as well put a flag on the QB so that defenders can just pull his flag.

Honest to God, that would be a better rule than the confusing mess they have made of it now.
there is a good thing here thou... our pass rushers are now gonna aim and eventually begin to start ripping out the qb's throwing arm. honestly this will begin to help cause more turnovers.
Originally posted by D_Niner:
Watching that replay, if Lawson pulled up then it would have been a completion. This is total BS.

I swear Goodell is trying to make sure there's no football next year.

Why should lawson pull up. Bs he's the free rusher and the qb got ride of the ball right before lawson hit him rather then tucking it and defending himself rather then throwing it quickly to not loss yards and leaving himself undefended

LAWSON IS 6'5 haha he have to be on his knees crawling to orton to bring him down at waist level even...

what the f**k is this touch football. Steve young and Troy would have both had longer career's if not from being hit. but as a qb you have to be the toughest sob in the room but i guess goodell rather watch a lock out and flag football with scrubs then to let the boys play.

it's a clean shot into his chest with a help big deal he wasn't going for the head or legs so you give the torso as the only way to bring down a qb wtf he did his best to do so what you don't want to see defense play you just want to watch manning throw for 900 yards and if he get's scratched you fine the guy. f**k YOU ROGER f**k YOU SIR i want another head of the nfl one who isn't such a p***y.

If there's a lock out, i will start a petition to get Goodell fired. If they want to do whats best for the sport they need to make sure they keep the people who feed the sport money happy.
[ Edited by TheGoldDiggerrrr on Nov 5, 2010 at 11:51 PM ]
Now that was complete B*** S***!
Share 49ersWebzone