LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 260 users in the forums

Sometimes everyone is wrong. Greatness happens.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
They say art imitates life. There is truth or inspiration to every story of heroes who defy all odds and render the pundits speechless.

Why is everyone so quick to write off this team. Adversity makes the end result that much sweeter if we win.

As far as Troy smith... lets see before we write this kid off, or award him the crown. Until then just root for your team, and dont rely on another 1st round possibility until that is all we have to hope on.

Here are 5 cinderella stories for you at the position of QB. This is only 5 of countless stories throughout the history of the NFL. Stay Faithful. This is how history is made.

Jeff Garcia 5: Spent 5 seasons CFL before the 9ers gave him a chance in the NFL. In 10 NFL seasons, Garcia threw for 25,537 yards and 161 touchdowns.

Kurt Warner: He went from stocking shelves to winning Super Bowls. Warner went undrafted and played in the Arena League for a few seasons before the Rams picked him up.

Warren Moon: Spent five seasons in the CFL after college, winning five consecutive Grey Cups. He was eventually picked up by the Houston Oilers, and he became one of the best pure passers to ever play the game.

Steve Young: Before becoming a back-up in SF and later the starter to win our 5th SB. Buccaneers posted 2–14 records in each of Young's two seasons with them, and Young's record as starter was 3–16. In his 19 games, he threw for only 11 touchdowns with 21 interceptions while completing fewer than 55% of his passes.

Tom Brady: Brady was selected with pick #199, a compensatory pick, in the sixth round of the draft. In 2001 Brady was named the starter for the season's third game, against the Colts. In his first two games as starter, Brady posted unspectacular passer ratings of 79.6 and 58.7, respectively
[ Edited by sgtkamai on Nov 5, 2010 at 10:43 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
You forgot to add Kurt Warner to that list.
Originally posted by susweel:

He's in there after Garcia, just not bolded.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by mcbaes72:
Originally posted by susweel:

He's in there after Garcia, just not bolded.

oops never mind.
Didnt forget him, just forgot to bold him.

Kurt Warner: He went from stocking shelves to winning Super Bowls. Warner went undrafted and played in the Arena League for a few seasons before the Rams picked him up.
Both smiths were winners in college but both are not really accurate which is the mkst important thing as a qb......hopefully troy can work on that like vick did or maybe get a wr like deshawn jackson....that may help
You might also consider adding the greatest QB in the history of the game to that list, he was drafted in the third round, eighty-second overall.
I sure hope we can add Troy to this very short list when all is said and done.
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:
You might also consider adding the greatest QB in the history of the game to that list, he was drafted in the third round, eighty-second overall.

These were just 5 examples. Like I said. History is full of them and not just in football.
Originally posted by sgtkamai:
They say art imitates life. There is truth or inspiration to every story of heroes who defy all odds and render the pundits speechless.

Why is everyone so quick to write off this team. Adversity makes the end result that much sweeter if we win.

As far as Troy smith... lets see before we write this kid off, or award him the crown. Until then just root for your team, and dont rely on another 1st round possibility until that is all we have to hope on.

Good post and even better point.

• kem99
  • Veteran
Originally posted by sgtkamai:
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

These were just 5 examples. Like I said. History is full of them and not just in football.

I am all for giving Troy Smith a fair shot but it should not be done blindly. Yes, there are a number of examples like the ones you listed but there are far more examples of mid to late round QBs that did little to nothing in their careers. For every Brady, there are many more Tim rattay's and Gio carmazzi's. you just do not remember all of them because their careers were uneventful.
Take a look at the Qbs taken before Brady in his draft year. It's a wasteland.
Part of the reason the 49ers are where they are is because they failed to develop a successor to Young. While Garcia helped fill the gap, they again failed to develop a Qb, which led to Rattay as the starter and necessitated the drafting of a Qb with the #1 pick in 2005. That failure was due in part because of TD's belief that if he drafted a Qb late in each draft, he would eventually find one that would become a late round success story.

The 49ers would be fortunate if Troy Smith can do what Garcia did. That should not keep the 49ers from looking for the next franchise Qb, including in this upcoming draft. If Troy Smith can have a short effective run as the starter, then all the better as the pressure on the young heir apparent Qb.

Let's not forget that the Steelers went a long time after winning their 4th SB but have won 2 since hitting on the Big Ben pick. In between, they tried a lot of the mark malones, Kordell Stewarts and Neil O'Donnells as well.

We can keep our fingers crossed for Troy Smith. Let's just not dellude ourselves into thinking that the Montanas, Bradys and Warners are that easy to find.
I was born a premi
So you are saying Troy Smith is going to the hall of fame...
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
So you are saying Troy Smith is going to the hall of fame...

Nate Davis
I am just saying dont write the team off. They are better than their record. 2-6. Losing by a field goal in 4 of those losses, is not the mark of a team that has no chance, it means the potential is there.

It is not as if this team has no talent.
Some may think its bad coaching, bad QB, bad defense that is the problem.
Me, I like to remember that sometimes the ball falls your way and sometimes it doesnt. Maybe we have had our share of bad breaks this year and we are headed for a historc turn around.

Likely? Probably not. But this 49er faithful fan will not abandon ship.
You can disagree with decisions, and think maybe a draft can save the future, but I live in the now. This is what we have now.
[ Edited by sgtkamai on Nov 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone