LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 211 users in the forums

On Getting Torched by Brandon Lloyd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by 9erfanAUS:

Not always. We usually play a deep cover shell on long distance downs to defend the pass. That leaves us susceptible to the screen which is the trade-off that is involved.

-9fA

This.

I hate it.

we get torch by everyone
Originally posted by dmax:
Manusky gets out coached every game...he should be fired along with singletary

None of the assistant coaches or players should be judged until Singlecell has been gone for awhile. Likely the Singlecell Philosophy controls the defense as well.

Think of a blitzing, shifting defense being like a complex spread offense. Sing hates that, believing that motivated players will do best in simple, man-on-man, straight-up schemes.

I believe Manusky, who showed off some very innovative and effective defensive schemes in the past, is under orders to run the defense he does and that the defenders are put into very tough situations.

We know this is true of the offense, something Singlecell admits he knows nothing about, so it has to be true of the defense, something Singlecell does know about.
One thing I saw for what must be the first time was a DL stunt...and it worked fairly well. Most of the better DL's employ that on a regular basis, if for no other reason than to keep the opposition's OL a bit off balance. Why did it take 'til the 8th game of the season to run a stunt? For all the praise given Manusky, I don't see much creativity going on. And...for the record, Spencer's our best cover CB...not Clements.
We never had a QB who can find the WR when he's open*. Troy showed he could with the throw to the super slow, #2 receiver on any other team, not very talented Crabtree the instant he got open. That was sarcasm.

Let's hope Troy can continue finding the open receivers down field.
We have 2 good number two corners... we don't have a number one starter.

Our safeties are okay, but not solid. Mays is good for a rook. The Pass rush woes are due to a mix of coaching, trust in our corners, technique and talent; we have some of all of those ingredients, but just not enough. We are inconsistent!

Now, it would be a doozy if opposing quarterbacks played in a wheelchair... we would have a soilid chance with that scenario.
Originally posted by seeking6th:

Our safeties are okay, but not solid. Mays is good for a rook. The Pass rush woes are due to a mix of coaching, trust in our corners, technique and talent; we have some of all of those ingredients, but just not enough. We are inconsistent!

Now, it would be a doozy if opposing quarterbacks played in a wheelchair... we would have a soilid chance with that scenario.

Most teams in the NFL have as much or slightly less ability at CB than we do. There are numerous teams who pickup guys off the street and plug them in.

I think it's the Manusky "be aggressive" mentality. We bight too much, especially Clements and Goldson. Mays is a rookie so that's likely to happen. Notice that our best corner, Spencer, is the most even keel.
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
I'd love to bring Lloyd back in the offseason
  • Wodwo
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Joecool:

Most teams in the NFL have as much or slightly less ability at CB than we do. There are numerous teams who pickup guys off the street and plug them in.

I think it's the Manusky "be aggressive" mentality. We bight too much, especially Clements and Goldson. Mays is a rookie so that's likely to happen. Notice that our best corner, Spencer, is the most even keel.

Yeah, I don't get that, either.

WTF? If you play cover four shell, but tell your corners to be aggressive, what's the f**king point? A conservative scheme meant to keep plays in front of the secondary, but corners who bite on double moves?

I need to pay more attention to situational play calling. I have a feeling we're conservative in coverage until the offense get's towards the red zone. I don't know. All I know is that I don't like the play calling.

I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Originally posted by Macas:
Lack of pressure...every game, the QB has 5 seconds to throw the ball. We never EVER blitz.

I heard the commentators a few weeks ago talking about how Manusky trusts the front 3 to get pressure...except that they don't.

blitzing would put the corners one on one and people already don't like the corner situation. Bit of a catch 22 for Manusky.

Blitzing the outside linebackers isn't going to put the cornerbacks one on one. In fact, more pressure would HELP the CBs. There is no Catch-22, Manusky just doesn't like to blitz.

our #1 need is CB
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by seeking6th:

agreed!

i honestly believe that our pass rush/DBs could get better with coaching/schemes.

not to mention, lloyd has burned a lot of good defenses this year!
Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I figured Lloyd would have a big game against us...he was catching everything in sight and badly beat our beleaguered secondary too many times. Two things account for that...lack of pressure on Orton and DB's who can't cover a good WR like him. Clements and Mays both got beat like a drum. I'll still give Mays a rookie discount...but he'll need to make a lot more plays in the 2nd half of the season. One guy who did look pretty good was Will James...I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Clements.

No way Will James sucks. He should get cut. He's been getting burned on nickel coverage. He gave up the TD to Lloyd in the 4th quarter. Even against Carolina he was giving up chunks of yardage.

BTW it was Spencer who got beat like a drum in consecutive weeks. Last week Gettis got him on the game tying TD, this week he got beat deep by Lloyd on the play action fake by Orton who froze Mays with it and Spencer let Lloyd right by him.
Spencer got beat like 3x against the panthers, and twice i think agaisnt the broncos.

What happened to Philip Adams? or tramaine brock? will james really? Tarrell brown really?

If we keep getting dusted like that, there might be a bring back mark roman bandwagon.
[ Edited by unst4bl3 on Nov 4, 2010 at 5:51 PM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
It's obvious that we need to use our first round draft pick on a good cover corner. That way we can blitz the QB because we will be able to trust our corners covering one on one.

We should have drafted a CB last year but instead we waste to two first picks on Oline.

And so you would have selected Kareem Jackson at 17 instead of Mike Iupati?

Jackson has looked horrible.

And as I recall, you wanted neither.

How are Clausen and Spiller doing so far?

Its still early in their careers. I still think that Clausen is gonna turn into a good player. He just needs a season under his belt. Spiller has made some big plays but he's still learning.

Trading up to draft Davis is starting to look like a mistake but its still early in the process.

This post reeks of hypocrisy. Be patient with the guys you liked, but bash the guys they drafted.

Typical.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Schulzy:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
It's obvious that we need to use our first round draft pick on a good cover corner. That way we can blitz the QB because we will be able to trust our corners covering one on one.

We should have drafted a CB last year but instead we waste to two first picks on Oline.

And so you would have selected Kareem Jackson at 17 instead of Mike Iupati?

Jackson has looked horrible.

And as I recall, you wanted neither.

How are Clausen and Spiller doing so far?

Its still early in their careers. I still think that Clausen is gonna turn into a good player. He just needs a season under his belt. Spiller has made some big plays but he's still learning.

Trading up to draft Davis is starting to look like a mistake but its still early in the process.

This post reeks of hypocrisy. Be patient with the guys you liked, but bash the guys they drafted.

Typical.

Nobody is bashing nobody so don't get your panties in a bunch.
Share 49ersWebzone