LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 244 users in the forums

On Getting Torched by Brandon Lloyd

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Originally posted by valrod33:
I say Anthony Davis Mike Iupati Taylor Mays Navorro Bowman I say we trade up to get Davis

[ Edited by SybErkRimInAL on Nov 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM ]
Originally posted by susweel:
Its still early in their careers. I still think that Clausen is gonna turn into a good player. He just needs a season under his belt. Spiller has made some big plays but he's still learning.

Trading up to draft Davis is starting to look like a mistake but its still early in the process.

I guess I'm looking for constructive discussion.

How could the 49ers have improved their situation at cornerback during the draft?

Without knowing what we know now about Devin McCourty, not much.
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
It's obvious that we need to use our first round draft pick on a good cover corner. That way we can blitz the QB because we will be able to trust our corners covering one on one.

We should have drafted a CB last year but instead we waste to two first picks on Oline.

And so you would have selected Kareem Jackson at 17 instead of Mike Iupati?

Jackson has looked horrible.

And as I recall, you wanted neither.

How are Clausen and Spiller doing so far?

Its still early in their careers. I still think that Clausen is gonna turn into a good player. He just needs a season under his belt. Spiller has made some big plays but he's still learning.

Trading up to draft Davis is starting to look like a mistake but its still early in the process.

lol, so your willing to give Claussen a year but not A Davis?

Davis is going against new/different Dline stunts and players techniques for the first time every game. C'mon mannnnnnnnn
[ Edited by 49AllTheTime on Nov 3, 2010 at 11:03 AM ]
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by 49AllTheTime:
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
It's obvious that we need to use our first round draft pick on a good cover corner. That way we can blitz the QB because we will be able to trust our corners covering one on one.

We should have drafted a CB last year but instead we waste to two first picks on Oline.

And so you would have selected Kareem Jackson at 17 instead of Mike Iupati?

Jackson has looked horrible.

And as I recall, you wanted neither.

How are Clausen and Spiller doing so far?

lol, so your willing to give Claussen a year but not A Davis?

Davis is going against new/different Dline stunts and players techniques for the first time every game. C'mon mannnnnnnnn

I never said Im giving up on him.
You guys are over reacting. I own Lloyd in my fantasy league, and I can tell you he's doing this almost every week. If I remember right, I believe he's the #2 best WR statistic wise in the league.
Originally posted by bracus:
You guys are over reacting. I own Lloyd in my fantasy league, and I can tell you he's doing this almost every week. If I remember right, I believe he's the #2 best WR statistic wise in the league.

Over reaching? Did you not see Matt Moore just torch the secondary the week before? Did you miss the Seattle game where the CB's got burned on double moves all game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by bracus:

Yah but our secondary gets torched by Matt Moore and some no name rookie wr.
The niners probably have the worst safety combo in the league against the pass. Goldson seems to have regressed since last year in coverage and Mays is learning. As long as Mays makes improvements I wont be worried long term. The team should still dump Clements or make him take a huge paycut for next year and see if they can pick up a new starter at CB
  • Oscar
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I figured Lloyd would have a big game against us...he was catching everything in sight and badly beat our beleaguered secondary too many times. Two things account for that...lack of pressure on Orton and DB's who can't cover a good WR like him. Clements and Mays both got beat like a drum. I'll still give Mays a rookie discount...but he'll need to make a lot more plays in the 2nd half of the season. One guy who did look pretty good was Will James...I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Clements.

I disagree with a couple of basic premises here. We DID pressure Orton. Remember that two of our sacks were disallowed over some wimpy roughing the passer penalties. (Looking at the stat sheet we have 4 sacks and both Brooks and Lawson have a sack, so maybe they were credited anyway. I'm not sure on the reporting on this one) And Manny Lawson's strip was due to pressure flushing Orton from the pocket.

And as for Will James, he was the culprit on many of Lloyd's catches. The TD comes to mind immediately. I don't know why we didn't have Spencer shadow him, but whatever.

So, I ask you, what did you see in the game that would lead you to believe that James should replace Clements?
Spencer was roasted all day out there. You guys overrate him. The only reason people don't hate on him is because his contract isn't as big as Clements. But Spencer sucks. Mays is a rookie. And the guy who was ahead of him quit on the team and walked out. So Mays is learning on the job. I give him a little bit of a break for now.

• boast
  • Hella Fame
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
Spencer was roasted all day out there. You guys overrate him. The only reason people don't hate on him is because his contract isn't as big as Clements. But Spencer sucks. Mays is a rookie. And the guy who was ahead of him quit on the team and walked out. So Mays is learning on the job. I give him a little bit of a break for now.

Spencer does not suck. cmon.
Originally posted by boast:

Remind him who snagged the INT to end the game.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by boast:

I think Spencer is a decent corner. He just needs better safety play.

You been on a roll lately with all this hate...yeah we are sucking right now but damn

whats really going on?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by Macas:
Lack of pressure...every game, the QB has 5 seconds to throw the ball. We never EVER blitz.

I heard the commentators a few weeks ago talking about how Manusky trusts the front 3 to get pressure...except that they don't.

the strange thing is, teams that don't ever blitz are usually better against defending screens than we are, because they are't caught as out of position in such cases.
Share 49ersWebzone