LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 215 users in the forums

On Getting Torched by Brandon Lloyd

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I figured Lloyd would have a big game against us...he was catching everything in sight and badly beat our beleaguered secondary too many times. Two things account for that...lack of pressure on Orton and DB's who can't cover a good WR like him. Clements and Mays both got beat like a drum. I'll still give Mays a rookie discount...but he'll need to make a lot more plays in the 2nd half of the season. One guy who did look pretty good was Will James...I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Clements.
Lack of pressure...every game, the QB has 5 seconds to throw the ball. We never EVER blitz.

I heard the commentators a few weeks ago talking about how Manusky trusts the front 3 to get pressure...except that they don't.
no on James replacing Clements
Originally posted by Macas:
Lack of pressure...every game, the QB has 5 seconds to throw the ball. We never EVER blitz.

I heard the commentators a few weeks ago talking about how Manusky trusts the front 3 to get pressure...except that they don't.

blitzing would put the corners one on one and people already don't like the corner situation. Bit of a catch 22 for Manusky.
It's lack of pass rush + sucky secondary = Brandon Lloyd legendary performance vs 49ers.

the end.
  • ZRF80
I dont think Manusky plays his cards right. He's under the impression that Clements is our best cover guy, and should therefore be lined up against the opposition's best receiver. I think he would get better results if he isolated Clements with the number 2 guy, and let Spencer/Mays roll over to the number 1 guy.
  • Tman
  • Veteran
Originally posted by ZRF80:
I dont think Manusky plays his cards right. He's under the impression that Clements is our best cover guy, and should therefore be lined up against the opposition's best receiver. I think he would get better results if he isolated Clements with the number 2 guy, and let Spencer/Mays roll over to the number 1 guy.

its # 11's fault
Originally posted by verb1der:
It's lack of pass rush + sucky secondary = Brandon Lloyd legendary performance vs 49ers.

the end.

Any secondary can suck if you let a QB have time.

Our DLine has potential!! but I always see the bull rush and not enough technique
Originally posted by CorvaNinerFan:
I figured Lloyd would have a big game against us...he was catching everything in sight and badly beat our beleaguered secondary too many times. Two things account for that...lack of pressure on Orton and DB's who can't cover a good WR like him. Clements and Mays both got beat like a drum. I'll still give Mays a rookie discount...but he'll need to make a lot more plays in the 2nd half of the season. One guy who did look pretty good was Will James...I wouldn't mind seeing him replace Clements.

No way Will James sucks. He should get cut. He's been getting burned on nickel coverage. He gave up the TD to Lloyd in the 4th quarter. Even against Carolina he was giving up chunks of yardage.

BTW it was Spencer who got beat like a drum in consecutive weeks. Last week Gettis got him on the game tying TD, this week he got beat deep by Lloyd on the play action fake by Orton who froze Mays with it and Spencer let Lloyd right by him.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
We need a whole new secondary.

It's obvious that we need to use our first round draft pick on a good cover corner. That way we can blitz the QB because we will be able to trust our corners covering one on one.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Superbowl09:
It's obvious that we need to use our first round draft pick on a good cover corner. That way we can blitz the QB because we will be able to trust our corners covering one on one.

We should have drafted a CB last year but instead we waste to two first picks on Oline.
Originally posted by Macas:

3 versus 5 is never going to get pressure. He might need to rethink that...
Originally posted by susweel:

We should have drafted a CB last year but instead we waste to two first picks on Oline.

And so you would have selected Kareem Jackson at 17 instead of Mike Iupati?

Jackson has looked horrible.

And as I recall, you wanted neither.

How are Clausen and Spiller doing so far?
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by redrathman:
Originally posted by susweel:

And so you would have selected Kareem Jackson at 17 instead of Mike Iupati?

Jackson has looked horrible.

And as I recall, you wanted neither.

How are Clausen and Spiller doing so far?

Its still early in their careers. I still think that Clausen is gonna turn into a good player. He just needs a season under his belt. Spiller has made some big plays but he's still learning.

Trading up to draft Davis is starting to look like a mistake but its still early in the process.
Share 49ersWebzone