LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 246 users in the forums

The niners made a waiver claim [on LB Gibson]

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by jimbagg:
With Vernon Davis' bad ankle, and the late game fatigue showed by Mays, the club needs to get both Delanie Walker and Mays off the ST crew. Gibson, as an OLB, should have good ST value.

The Niners have done well in the past, picking-up late or mid-season cuts from the Steelers. Both Dwayne Board and Brent Jones come to mind.

Heitmann's NFL career might not be over, but his Niner career is over. Baas gets re-signed as a Center. Tony Wragge breathes easier for the balance of 2010, and Adam Snyder gets more OT at Center in 2011 TC.

that's a good point. and if he can help our anemic passrush all the better.
4th round pick this by Pit.

Should be a backup OLB
this might be a good pickup for us. ST depth, OLB depth, a young guy who could maybe help get Haralson's worthless ass out of here. Doubt he'll get a lot of playing time, but with Lawson's contract up (hope he gets re-signed) and Haralson's disappearing act, we need all the young OLB's we can get. Maybe he can battle it out with LaBoy and Brooks for playing time this summer.
  • cools
  • Veteran
This guy could be a steal, Good move
[ Edited by cools on Nov 2, 2010 at 3:02 PM ]
Originally posted by cools:
This guy could be a steal, Good move

or he could be complete garbage. time will tell. the steelers have good OLBs so maybe it was a numbers thing. i dont see singletary being smarter than Tomlin so im not gonna make judgements until i see this dude play.
The Steeler's are stacked at OLB so Gibson is a numbers casualty. He will be a solid ST and core role player. Some on the board think he will replace Lawson, which is not the case as IMO Lawson will be tendered a franchise tag (if the collective bargaining agreement allows) in the offseason. I agree with the notion that Gibson is more of a threat to Haralson, who is very average. But in the near future Gibson we make his impact of ST.
[ Edited by MntIdaGold on Nov 2, 2010 at 3:43 PM ]
Gibson>>>>>>Harolson. Hopefully this means the end of Harolson finally.
I liked the original misleading thread title better.
Originally posted by backontop:

I am not a Harrelson fan but how do you figure a cut rookie back up OLB is better.
  • dj43
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by unst4bl3:
Originally posted by susweel:
actually seems like an okay move. another potential replacement for Haralson. But we really need another ILB. Bowman should not be getting the amount of snaps that he's getting.

But Sing said that Bowman reminds him of Patrick Willis.

Bowman reminds me of Patrick Willis too: he reminds me that Patrick Willis is a lot better than he is.
lol

and we wouldnt be seeing that much of bowman, if mckillop hadn't got hurt. Bowman needs some serious work.

yeah. I like Bowman long-term, but he's just not good enough yet. Losing McKillop really f**ked up our depth--he was better last year than Bowman is this year--and we haven't done anything to address it. Kind of annoying.

Yeah, i can see taht bowman will be good, but right now his blown tackles are killer. He missed 2-3 during the game yesterday on d, and maybe another 2-3 on special teams.

And I will have nightmares for the rest of the year of Kevin Kolb faking him out with a pump fake, past the line of scrimmage.
Bowman is just an over-aggressive rookie that needs more seasoning. The rest of the season on ST and a few snaps here and there and then next season should be a much improved player.

LB takes a lot more experience than most rookies bring.

• dj43

The Niners have done well in the past, picking-up late or mid-season cuts from the Steelers. Both Dwayne Board and Brent Jones come to mind.

Nice knowledge.
Originally posted by leakyfausett:
Originally posted by backontop:

I am not a Harrelson fan but how do you figure a cut rookie back up OLB is better.

because a small rock in the middle of the ocean is better than Harolson.
Originally posted by dj43:

Nice knowledge.

Very nice
Gibson is JACKED
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Gibson is JACKED

Dumb old guy question: does that mean he's fast? I sure hope he's blazing fast.
Share 49ersWebzone