There are 128 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Originally posted by global_nomad:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
If the playcalling is always going to be like it was today with Troy under center, then there is no reason to start him. We will not win with that gameplan every week.

I know the haters won't like this, but the offense looks much better with Alex playing. Don't let a couple of lucky plays and a good 4th quarter against a bad defense fool you.

i'd much rather see a guy with zip and accuracy than a guy who still leads the league in turnovers

Bingo.

Add to that mobility and the decisiveness to use it, plus actual awareness in the pocket. Troy looked a lot like an NFL QB, rather than a tackling dummy.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
Originally posted by Peanut49:
It's amazing how some people can't accept reality vs perception. Based on Troy Smiths performance today, some still think that Alex is the better QB.

Of course ONE game doesn't determine all but if you were to compare the two QB demeanor (or if you want to call it strut or confidence), I would say that by today's performance, Troy Smith have it hands down.

The passing was as crisp as I've seen it in a LONG time and his legs certainly makes him a bit more dangerous. Kinda reminds me of one Rich Gannon.

Funny Rich Gannon compared Alex Smith to himself.

OBVIOUSLY you haven't seen Rich play and just because he made that comment doesn't necessarily mean he meant it. If you really think that Alex has the ESCAPABILITY that Gannon had, you'd have to be pretty delusional.

YES, I am also a Raiders fan and I have known a lot of them including Daryl Lamonica, Kenny Stabler, Tim Brown, Rich Gannon and John Madden just to name a few.

You completely lost me there. Wow.

Easily lost are you? Nevertheless I don't think that you'll be seeing Alex Smith any time soon. And as long as Troy can perform as he did today, it may be the LAST time you see Alex in a 49er's uniform.
I think Troy Smith earned another chance.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Troy basically played about the same as Alex has all year, on a week of preparation.

... and a limited playbook. This may adversely catch up to him, but it was a benefit for 1 game around the corner.

I don't see how it's a benefit to work with the starters for one week.
Troy with one week = Alex with half the season

No, my only point was that Troy would likely have been overwhelmed by a full playbook... and therefore disadvantaged. So while it benefits him to play with a limited playbook now, we may not be able to keep it limited for long... as opposing DCs would figure us out quickly and better shut us down.

I dont know about overwhelmed but I agree he could be exposed in the next couple weeks if hes allowed to throw more.
It's amazing how some people can't accept reality vs perception. Based on Troy Smiths performance today, some still think that Alex is the better QB.

Of course ONE game doesn't determine all but if you were to compare the two QB demeanor (or if you want to call it strut or confidence), I would say that by today's performance, Troy Smith have it hands down.

The passing was as crisp as I've seen it in a LONG time and his legs certainly makes him a bit more dangerous. Kinda reminds me of one Rich Gannon.

OBVIOUSLY you haven't seen Rich play and just because he made that comment doesn't necessarily mean he meant it. If you really think that Alex has the ESCAPABILITY that Gannon had, you'd have to be pretty delusional.

YES, I am also a Raiders fan and I have known a lot of them including Daryl Lamonica, Kenny Stabler, Tim Brown, Rich Gannon and John Madden just to name a few.

Easily lost are you? Nevertheless I don't think that you'll be seeing Alex Smith any time soon. And as long as Troy can perform as he did today, it may be the LAST time you see Alex in a 49er's uniform.

lol, why would Rich Gannon compare Alex Smith to himself if he didn't mean it?
Troy all day...More versatile than Alex IMO...I've seen enough of Alex...Let the change begin....
The rise of TROY! Alex Smith's job which was handed to him on a silver platter is now officially taken by my man Troy Smith!

It's called "PR" as in Public Relations. Been there, Done that! If you want to keep of good image of yourself, you say all the right things. The late Bill Walsh was very good at that!
[ Edited by Kauaiguy on Oct 31, 2010 at 3:31 PM ]
A. Smith 1-6 (Carolina was one of those loses, just thought I would remind you)

vs

1-0 (crappy Bronco team that is better than Carolina with one week of preporation in London!)

Troy Smith should be the new QB in San Francisco!
Alex will still need another week to heal completely so I'd start Troy. You can't say who should start after that based on todays game. Look, Troy played an okay game today and helped us win and I for one thank him for that but we must take into account a couple of factors in his evaluation.

First, he played perhaps the worst overall defense in the league and to discount that is stupid.

Second, he was off target on numerous throws and threw into double coverage on both long balls today. You will never see a toss up like that completed against any other team in this league and you guys know it so don't try and blow smoke up my a** saying at least he goes for it and doesn't check it down.

Third, the oline was better than any other game I can remeber this year and probably due to the them being crappy D overall.

Fourth, Frank had a monster game for us and kept the D off balance.

Last, the OC play calling sucked again!

With a week off he will be better and I hope he wins but to compare this game to any that Alex had this year is off base and if you want to compare look at who the Broncos played the last two weeks and then compare cause they are the common denomonator.

It's called "PR" as in Public Relations. Been there, Done that! If you want to keep of good image of yourself, you say all the right things. The late Bill Walsh was very good at that!

how is that public relations?
Originally posted by glorydayz:
A. Smith 1-6 (Carolina was one of those loses, just thought I would remind you)

vs

1-0 (crappy Bronco team that is better than Carolina with one week of preporation in London!)

Troy Smith should be the new QB in San Francisco!

QBs don't have records. But if you want to be accurate the 49ers were tied with the Panthers when Alex went out and they lost that game because the 2ndary let Moore pick them apart all day.

Exactly. That comment I quoted was laughable.

As I stated earlier, I want us to keep winning and Troy needs to hold the reigns if he continues to win. I like what he brings, but these people sitting here acting like Troy Smith is some spectacular, godly player out there compared to Alex are kidding themselves.

These same Broncos got smoked for 59 points by the same Jason Campbell-led Raiders we pounded the crap out of. I'm not reading too much into Smith's performance just yet and I am being cautiously optimistic rather than jumping all over the Troy Smith bandwagon as if he's the savior of this team. Calm the frick down people. Get a hold of yourselves.

Let's not go haywire here. We just need to wait and see what happens over the next few weeks.
Originally posted by global_nomad:
i'd much rather see a guy with zip and accuracy than a guy who still leads the league in turnovers

You talking about Eli Manning? Drew Brees? or Brett Favre?

As I stated earlier, I want us to keep winning and Troy needs to hold the reigns if he continues to win. I like what he brings, but these people sitting here acting like Troy Smith is some spectacular, godly player out there compared to Alex are kidding themselves.

These same Broncos got smoked for 59 points by the same Jason Campbell-led Raiders we pounded the crap out of. I'm not reading too much into Smith's performance just yet and I am being cautiously optimistic rather than jumping all over the Troy Smith bandwagon as if he's the savior of this team. Calm the frick down people. Get a hold of yourselves.

Let's not go haywire here. We just need to wait and see what happens over the next few weeks.

i agree 100%.