There are 154 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Which Smith should start Week 10?

Which Smith should start Week 10?

If Alex is healthy, he should start, and he should have a short leash.

If Alex is not healthy, Troy should start and they should open up the playbook a little. The gameplan today was really terrible and made it impossible to evaluate him.
It's amazing how some people can't accept reality vs perception. Based on Troy Smiths performance today, some still think that Alex is the better QB.

Of course ONE game doesn't determine all but if you were to compare the two QB demeanor (or if you want to call it strut or confidence), I would say that by today's performance, Troy Smith have it hands down.

The passing was as crisp as I've seen it in a LONG time and his legs certainly makes him a bit more dangerous. Kinda reminds me of one Rich Gannon.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by 49erRider:
Originally posted by tjd808185:
Denver's D is atrocious so I'm not jumping on the Troy Trolley

At the same time, our play-calling was even more atrocious. Troy should have been given more chances to throw. Denver's defense wasn't an advantage for Troy due to the off-setting disadvantage of having our play-calling.

If you're gonna make excuses, make them both ways.

Maybe you should take your own advice. Considering the play calling all season long has put our QBs' in a position of having to play catchup regardless of the points put on the board in the first half.

But I forgot it's all on #11. Get real.

~Ceadder

Give me a break. I don't want to get into much of an argument with you because you'll go snitching to the mods when you can't take what's being said, but you're not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree if you think Alex Smith's play-calling was EVER as bad as Troy Smith's was today. Once Mike Johnson came in, Alex was getting good plays called. Today was probably Singletary's doing, but it was the most vanilla gameplan in years - worse than anything Jimmy Raye ever did.

Really?? Ever heard of Jimmie Raye? I strongly disagree with the bolded.

Did you not see the mention of Jimmy Raye at the end if that post?

I stand by my statement. Raye never called a game as simple as today's. Run, run, run, punt - LITERALLY. I don't blame it on Mike Johnson, I'm sure Singletary told him to do that, but it was the worst play-calling all year and it was worse than any game last year as well.
When Alex is cleared to play, he deserves to go back in. He had clearly outplayed Aaron Rodgers over the last four weeks. (89.2 vs 76.1, and GB lost 2 of those 4 games).

In the meanwhile, we can watch Troy play and evaluate him. But many promising initial performances turn into teases only. Eventually the sweet kiss of good fortune evens out. Some will remember JTO's promising early games until reality set in. And for Hill, it was much the same. Fickleness is a common human flaw; where many are ready to crown the new King before they know him.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:
It's amazing how some people can't accept reality vs perception. Based on Troy Smiths performance today, some still think that Alex is the better QB.

Of course ONE game doesn't determine all but if you were to compare the two QB demeanor (or if you want to call it strut or confidence), I would say that by today's performance, Troy Smith have it hands down.

The passing was as crisp as I've seen it in a LONG time and his legs certainly makes him a bit more dangerous. Kinda reminds me of one Rich Gannon.

What performance? A stupid pass to Delanie Walker, which Walker miraculously pulled him after shoving Dawkins? A TD pass that any QB on this roster would have made?

All this against a crappy team that couldn't exaclty gameplan for him?

Gimme a break.
Originally posted by Kauaiguy:

Funny Rich Gannon compared Alex Smith to himself.
Did you watch the game, Troy's mobility saved a half dozen plays, sorry, alex would've been on the ground....The Alex Smith project needs to be put away for good.

I say Troy is a good solution for this year then; go from there
BTW, I'm in favor of starting N. Davis ahead of Troy.
Start Troy, bring up Nate. Cut Carr, Alex is the back up
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
lol its een 1 game against a crappy bronco team when they have no film of troy smith lets wait and see

We have 6-years of Alex Film - I think I've seen enough.

I like N Davis but he is not in favor with the coaching staff not sure why. He has a strong arm and mobile, that's half the battle. We have been waiting for this greatness from Alex for 6 years and nothing. Its time to move on. Shaun Hill was a better QB and lighting it up in Detroit it tells you the true problem is coaching
Originally posted by ObePwnD:
Originally posted by 49ersalldaway126:
lol its een 1 game against a crappy bronco team when they have no film of troy smith lets wait and see

We have 6-years of Alex Film - I think I've seen enough.

technically you have about 4 years.

but i agree that next year Alex will not be in a 49ers jersey.
Originally posted by oldman9er:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Troy basically played about the same as Alex has all year, on a week of preparation.

... and a limited playbook. This may adversely catch up to him, but it was a benefit for 1 game around the corner.

I don't see how it's a benefit to work with the starters for one week.
Troy with one week = Alex with half the season
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Troy basically played about the same as Alex has all year, on a week of preparation.

He played better, when the protection broke down, he moved in the pocket and found receivers, instead of throwing it away, throwing an interception or getting sacked. He showed intangibles that Alex Smith does not have. He may appear to regress a bit as defensive coordinators have more film to look at, but he should start the rest of the year to see what he has.