LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 238 users in the forums

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Shop Find 49ers gear online

Grade Troy Smith's Performance

Originally posted by GhostofFredDean74:
Originally posted by BobS:
Ghost, I am with you. I don't understand why people are still on Alex Smith's nuts, especially after today. Troy Smith, a third stringer comes in and makes positive yardage on snaps where Alex would have gotten sacked or rolled right and threw the ball in the fifth row. After 6 years of Alex stinking up the place, people still make excuses for all his mistakes, nothing is ever his fault, makes me sick.

It's crazy! Look, I'm cool with people supporting Alex and hoping he one day turns into the QB he was drafted to be. But the excuses for Alex (year after year, loss after loss, poor performance after poor performance) are getting ridiculous. I mean, if anyone had legitimate excuses to stink up the joint and fall flat on his face in an embarrasing loss, it was Troy Smith.

1.) Hadn't started a game in 3 seasons
2.) Hadn't even taken a practice snap with the 49ers offense
3.) Had to use a scaled back version of the offense
4.) Missing your top offensive threat (VD)
5.) Playing over 5000 miles from home

Now THOSE are legitimate excuses, and most people would've understood (at least to a certain extent) if Troy was unable to overcome those obstacles and not end up with a win.

But this kid found a way to win. Again, that's what REAL NFL QBs do. No excuses, no blame-games, no crying and no whining. They find ways to make plays and to win games.

That's what the NFL is all about.

Couldn't of said it better myself!
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Blackoutz:
2. his legs made up for poor OL

Where are people coming up with this? The OL wasn't lights out but those play actions they were running over and over and over again were working (because Denver was fully focused on Gore) and Smith had more time to throw yesterday than any 49ers QB we've seen in a long time.

R u Serious????? Is this a joke????? Teams have been forcing A. Smith to beat them with his arm for years and he hasn't... T. Smith had more time cause he moved around in the pocket, and didn't roll right and chuck it away.
Originally posted by jeepzilla:
Ghost, I am with you. I don't understand why people are still on Alex Smith's nuts, especially after today. Troy Smith, a third stringer comes in and makes positive yardage on snaps where Alex would have gotten sacked or rolled right and threw the ball in the fifth row. After 6 years of Alex stinking up the place, people still make excuses for all his mistakes, nothing is ever his fault, makes me sick.

It's crazy! Look, I'm cool with people supporting Alex and hoping he one day turns into the QB he was drafted to be. But the excuses for Alex (year after year, loss after loss, poor performance after poor performance) are getting ridiculous. I mean, if anyone had legitimate excuses to stink up the joint and fall flat on his face in an embarrasing loss, it was Troy Smith.

Now THOSE are legitimate excuses, and most people would've understood (at least to a certain extent) if Troy was unable to overcome those obstacles and not end up with a win.

But this kid found a way to win. Again, that's what REAL NFL QBs do. No excuses, no blame-games, no crying and no whining. They find ways to make plays and to win games.

Bump!

Issue Ghost is guys like Hill, JTO, and now Smith have found "ways to win" then find ways to lose their jobs. I just cant get excited over anything 9er related yet...it just seems like a cock tease.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by smithgdwg:
A

Playcalling - F

This.

How can you grade a quarterback when they don't let him throw the ball?! f**king pathetic.

Please see CARR...
  • Jiks
Originally posted by artx84de4089er:

Bump!

Not trying to be a downer but it's one game against one of the NFL's worst teams. The Raiders destroyed these guys a week ago. Frank Gore did most the work. Alll I'm saying is that you can't sit and say all these things based on one game. Look at Alex last year after the Texans and Colts games. He played pretty well both games and look where were at.

Teams will start game planning, teams will have game footage, teams can start to contain him and pressure him in different places. I don't know its far too early to say he has these intangebles. It's the Broncos, and really he didn't play extremely well. Yes he showed some things that may be helpful in the future. But lets not get too far ahead of ourselves and say he is a real QB IMO.

You're either ALEXus, or AGAINST US!!!

Originally posted by artx84de4089er:

Bump!
Originally posted by jreff22:

Issue Ghost is guys like Hill, JTO, and now Smith have found "ways to win" then find ways to lose their jobs. I just cant get excited over anything 9er related yet...it just seems like a cock tease.

I hear you, and nobody knows what TSmith will turn into. But it's just good to see our QB make plays downfield, especially on pure instinct given how little time he had to prep and how little of the playbook he knows/can use.

Again, nobody should crown Troy anytime soon, but at least we have something to look forward to/a reason for optimism (as cautious as it should be) from our QB position for the rest of the season.
ON the road. No pre-season. One week of first string reps. I was very impressed with his ability to keep the plays alive and to manage the offense and make big time throws when he needed to.

It's been a long time since we've had a great QB so its easy to get excited after watching something like this. That being said I like Troy Smith. I am hopeful that he can capitalize on even more production in the future. He certanily did not look uncertain at any time out there. Go back and look at the Crabtree TD. He had absolute command of the offense on that play. He yelled at Crabs to stay wide. I think he knew he was looking for a go route. Crabtree sold the Slant and T. Smith did not telegraph that throw at all. He kept his eyes center right and then delivered a great ball.

He also did a great job extending the play when protection was weak or even when it was designed. How many times has Alex failed to deliver screens and dump offs under no duress. T. Smith was able to deliver very accurate passes in the flats and on swings and screens which are critical to getting the ball down field.

One of the other better plays he made was when he juked to suck up the end/linebacker then pump faked to put him in the air and threw Crabby Open for a fantasitc 1st down play.

We have 8 games left, we need at least 6 probably 7 wins and I'm hopeful again.

the thing that sucks is that we're going to be debating Troy Smith for two freakin' weeks before we even have anything close to enough information.
Originally posted by jreff22:

I hear you, and nobody knows what TSmith will turn into. But it's just good to see our QB make plays downfield, especially on pure instinct given how little time he had to prep and how little of the playbook he knows/can use.

Again, nobody should crown Troy anytime soon, but at least we have something to look forward to/a reason for optimism (as cautious as it should be) from our QB position for the rest of the season.

Yep. I have thought for a while that Troy deserved his shot. With little preparation he played pretty well. I would like him the opportunity to show what he can do.
  • SFGem
  • Veteran
how about that block where Troy Smith knocked on of the broncos on his back like a fullback?

the kid has some competiveness in him.
The play calling pretty much tied his hands behind his back but he did more with less.
  • pd24
  • Veteran
Everyone keeps saying that it was a lucky pass. It was, but when was the last time Alex got lucky? Never. He doesn't take the 50/50 shot down the field to let his reciever make a play on the ball, he would have threw it out of bounds and we would have punted. Even if that pass to Walker had ben picked off, it would have been like a long punt, nothing to lose, but something to gain. Troy had a fumble bounce his way, Alex would have had that returned for 6 the other way. Ill take the guy with the better luck and better arm over the bad luck guy that can't win. Alex plays scared, troy played like he just got a second chance.
Share 49ersWebzone