LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 286 users in the forums

Who would you rather see start @ QB?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Adman:
What happens if Troy Smith plays well this Sunday. Does the team make Alex Smith the starter again when he's healthy? Or do they let Troy finish up the season as long as he plays atleast as well as Alex usually plays?

I say leave Troy in.

David Carr
Andy Lee
If our team had any current direction to it whatsoever, we would start Nate Davis. Alex Smith will not be back, so why hurt our draft pick by giving experience/exposure to a player that will just move on.

Troy Smith has had his opportunities and showed that he will NEVER be a franchise qb. His arm is lacking, he has a poor internal clock, and just isn't anything beyond an NFL backup.

The one quarterback we haven't given a chance is Nate Davis and we need to evaluate our squad to know what we have on this roster. If Davis is atrocious, then we should look to get a new backup qb for this franchise. So few quarterbacks in this draft (beyond maybe the top 3-4) had the collegiate career and combination of tangibles/intangibles that Nate Davis had coming out of college (from a non-gimmicky offense at that). Given how many fans are dying to see him play, it's really a win win.
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:
If our team had any current direction to it whatsoever, we would start Nate Davis. Alex Smith will not be back, so why hurt our draft pick by giving experience/exposure to a player that will just move on.

Troy Smith has had his opportunities and showed that he will NEVER be a franchise qb. His arm is lacking, he has a poor internal clock, and just isn't anything beyond an NFL backup.

The one quarterback we haven't given a chance is Nate Davis and we need to evaluate our squad to know what we have on this roster. If Davis is atrocious, then we should look to get a new backup qb for this franchise. So few quarterbacks in this draft (beyond maybe the top 3-4) had the collegiate career and combination of tangibles/intangibles that Nate Davis had coming out of college (from a non-gimmicky offense at that). Given how many fans are dying to see him play, it's really a win win.

how can Troy's arm be lacking when the damn guy throws 50 yards bullets??
  • titan
  • Veteran
Alex Smith! if this is his last game in a niner uniform. He desreves the respect even though it didn't turn out the way it was planned. No matter how bad things got Smith was there trying.
Originally posted by Frisco69ers:
Originally posted by 49oz2superbowl:

how can Troy's arm be lacking when the damn guy throws 50 yards bullets??

His arm lacks accuracy.
Quote:
And, for those who will clamor for Nate Davis, it's too late. Practice squad players cannot be promoted to the active roster in the final week of the regular season, I've been told by an NFL executive. The kid isn't an option this week.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/ninerinsider/detail?entry_id=79957

I'd start whichever QB can tank better. The Niners need to lose this game!
idc

I don't care.

I'm somewhat sad to see Alex go, only because I know he'll go somewhere else and do better. Not necessarily spectacular, but much better somewhere else. And he's a good kid. But nonetheless, he does need to go and have a change of scenery.

We need to sign a veteran, proven QB to hold it together while we develop our QB of the future. In my opinion, Orton is the #1 choice we should pursue. Following him would be a guy like Kolb, McNabb, possibly even Palmer is Cincy is fed up. Shaun Hill is even a FA, I believe.
Originally posted by OnTheClock:
I don't care.

I'm somewhat sad to see Alex go, only because I know he'll go somewhere else and do better. Not necessarily spectacular, but much better somewhere else. And he's a good kid. But nonetheless, he does need to go and have a change of scenery.

We need to sign a veteran, proven QB to hold it together while we develop our QB of the future. In my opinion, Orton is the #1 choice we should pursue. Following him would be a guy like Kolb, McNabb, possibly even Palmer is Cincy is fed up. Shaun Hill is even a FA, I believe.

I would actually be pretty happy with Palmer. And he'd come cheap if he comes. Puts us in a good position to mentor a young QB (or two) for a season or two before throwing them to the wolves.
Me
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I don't care.

I would actually be pretty happy with Palmer. And he'd come cheap if he comes. Puts us in a good position to mentor a young QB (or two) for a season or two before throwing them to the wolves.

Agree. Palmer needs a change of scenery. He'd be a perfect compliment to a rookie QB like Stanzi or Mallet.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by Jakemall:
I don't care.

Agree. Palmer needs a change of scenery. He'd be a perfect compliment to a rookie QB like Stanzi or Mallet.

I always wondered if Alex could pull a Steve -- being booed off the field (like in this commentary below), to being cheered.

Share 49ersWebzone