Originally posted by sacniner:
Originally posted by ZRF80:
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by ads_2006:
yeah, noodles would be killing right now

"noodles" is a better QB than "wonderlic-man", so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

that's why he can't benched in Houston for Smith? I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I just like QBs that are capable of at least attempting all the NFL throws. Hill's arm was too weak. But, he is a good stopgap backup. They shouldn't have traded him.

Attempting (as in capable of) vs. Attempting (actually making the throws) are 2 different things. The fact that Smith can do the first, but not the latter is a telling-tale of why this offense blows......

We've all seen him have flashes of being good. I'm not saying he is all that, but he's a better option than Carr and the mancrush Shaun Hill.

Are people forgetting how terrible Hill looked before he got benched? I think so.

How come no one makes the same excuses for Hill like they do for Smith ? Didnt he also have a poor oline ? Didnt he also have Raye calling plays for him ? How come no one was crying for the spread when Hill was behind center ?

People did make excuses. Hill was the webzone mancrush for a while. Hill is a backup, it's not his fault. He isn't good enough to be a starter. A spread with Hill? His arm can't handle that. He is good at getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing short.

Oh yeah, how did your whole "with alex out our D will play better" theory pan out? Not too good...

Sorry, I never said without Alex our D would play better. Ive said all along that with an efficient offense, our defense would play better because they wouldnt have to play with a chip on their shoulder (eg pressure because we're losing or trying to play from behind). Our offense is inept, and Alex is a big reason for it. Too bad Sing didnt want any competition for Alex, and signed someone just as bad. If we have a good offense, our defense will play better.

Nice try though.....

i was in the gameday thread when you said that. you said with smith out, our d is playing better. it's not a shocker considering all you do is hate on him.

You mean where I said, "Smith's out ! Our D is playing better !" ? Two independent statements that you interpreted as, "Smith's out, THEREFORE our D is playing better !"

No, it was before that. It's okay, I wouldn't admit to it either.

Link please. Of course, Im sure you're too "tired" to find it right now, but if you do....Id love for you to post it for everyone to see..........

Yeah, let me good find it in the 200 page gameday thread. I know it's hard to believe that you would have said that.

Exactly. Nice try though........
Originally posted by 49erRider:

"noodles" is a better QB than "wonderlic-man", so I'm not sure where you're going with that.

that's why he can't benched in Houston for Smith? I guess everyone has their own opinions, but I just like QBs that are capable of at least attempting all the NFL throws. Hill's arm was too weak. But, he is a good stopgap backup. They shouldn't have traded him.

Attempting (as in capable of) vs. Attempting (actually making the throws) are 2 different things. The fact that Smith can do the first, but not the latter is a telling-tale of why this offense blows......

We've all seen him have flashes of being good. I'm not saying he is all that, but he's a better option than Carr and the mancrush Shaun Hill.

Are people forgetting how terrible Hill looked before he got benched? I think so.

How come no one makes the same excuses for Hill like they do for Smith ? Didnt he also have a poor oline ? Didnt he also have Raye calling plays for him ? How come no one was crying for the spread when Hill was behind center ?

People did make excuses. Hill was the webzone mancrush for a while. Hill is a backup, it's not his fault. He isn't good enough to be a starter. A spread with Hill? His arm can't handle that. He is good at getting rid of the ball quickly and throwing short.

Oh yeah, how did your whole "with alex out our D will play better" theory pan out? Not too good...

Sorry, I never said without Alex our D would play better. Ive said all along that with an efficient offense, our defense would play better because they wouldnt have to play with a chip on their shoulder (eg pressure because we're losing or trying to play from behind). Our offense is inept, and Alex is a big reason for it. Too bad Sing didnt want any competition for Alex, and signed someone just as bad. If we have a good offense, our defense will play better.

Nice try though.....

i was in the gameday thread when you said that. you said with smith out, our d is playing better. it's not a shocker considering all you do is hate on him.

You mean where I said, "Smith's out ! Our D is playing better !" ? Two independent statements that you interpreted as, "Smith's out, THEREFORE our D is playing better !"

Link please. Of course, Im sure you're too "tired" to find it right now, but if you do....Id love for you to post it for everyone to see..........

Yeah, let me good find it in the 200 page gameday thread. I know it's hard to believe that you would have said that.

Excuse the side-busting on my part, but, I knew this response was coming.

Yep. Thats what I expected from him as well.........

LOL, how cute the Alex haters are uniting
  • ZRF80
Originally posted by KRS-1:
I heart SD for going at ZRF and I wonder why ZRF never commented on the fact that Carolina's D has actually been above average this year.

Because the Niners defense is ranked number 10 OVERALL (better than Carolina.

Our passing defense only allows 20 yards MORE per game by opposing QBs than Carolina's passing defense, and are ranked number 11 in the league (top 1/3).

Yet, it didnt seem to stop their QB who was btw benched at the start fo the season. So why should we excuse ours for a half-assed performance ?

You mean the QB who threw for over 300 yards against us today ??

Yeah, so if a benched QB can throw for over 300 yards against the number 11 ranked defense which only allows 20 yards MORE per game passing than Carolina's pass defense, then why cant Alex be held accountable for not doing the same against them ?

Nice try though.....

Yeah, because you are smart... Who the hell would look for a single quote from that.

Someone who wants to prove he's not just talking out of his ass?
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame

I think you're the one forgetting how he looked. He did nothing to get benched. Even the announcers were discussing that. They just needed a change of pace and Alex provided that, then they stuck with him for the rest of the season.

You're just BSing now.

Are you kidding me? We couldn't get the ball downfield for six quarters. They didn't bench him for fun. He was playing horrible. We were getting our a55 handed to us in Houston.

This is the bottom line, Smith is the best option by far. Hill is decent, but come on, we aren't gonna win a superbowl with him. We can use our entire playbook with Smith. I know you despise him, but he was actually playing better before the injury.

Btw, Hill is gone. Do you want Carr to continue to play? Or, do you have confidence in Troy Smith or Nate Davis?

I don't want Carr even being on the roster. Does that answer your question?

No, who do you want to play then? Do you think Smith is the best option when healthy?

Alex Smith, when healthy, is mediocre. He is not the future of this franchise and we need to move on. The season is lost already, so I'd rather see someone else, just not David Carr. Whether it's Troy Smith or Nate Davis, or both, is fine with me. We know what we have in Alex while T. Smith and Davis are unknowns. I said the same damn thing about Dominique Zeigler the last few years and they've just started giving him a real shot this year. We didn't know what we had and I wanted to find out. Turns out, he's probably good enough to be our #3 or even #2 WR. Everyone said Arnaz Battle gave us a better option and blah blah blah. The same thing applies here. I want to know whether Alex truly is our best option and the only way to find out is to let the other guys get a chance (minus Carr).

If Alex is indeed our best option, we're screwed anyway.

By the way, if I had my choice, I'd start Nate Davis. F*ck all the bullsh*t Singletary spews. There's a reason his position coach, now our OC, likes him. Anything Singletary has said about any of our players is questionable and I don't trust any decision he makes on the offensive side of the football, especially when it comes to the quarterback position. This is the same idiot that brought David Carr in to provide no competition for Alex while he invested everything he had into a QB that had 5 years of nothing to show under his belt.

agree with everything you said. The big problem with Smith is he plays bipolar football.... Joe Montana throws followed up by Steve Stenstrom throws in the same game, and the latter is usually when the game is on the line. He has never been able to get rid of his erratic playing style. He is also not clutch, his YPA/YPC are always low, his completion % is always low, his YPG is always low, his completions to WR's is always low, yet his attitude is great, his off the field smarts are great, and he can make those couple of great thows a game that tease fans and management, so he keeps hanging around.
  • ZRF80

Nice try though.....

It's ok. Just have proof the next time you decide to make comments like those.

Nice try though.....

Similar to the way his lovers unite in forming excuses for him..
Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
We would have probably won if Alex didn't get hurt.

He was having a pretty good day until the injury. Carr certainly isn't better.

Oh I am just eating popcorn waiting for the Smith haters to attempt to reply to this.

9/19 126 yards.....only sustaining one good drive. Yeah, pretty good day alright...compared to who ? Carr ?

Did he play the whole game or get knocked out with an injury?

actually, ZR has a point. Smith only had one long pass, and IMO it was underthrown.... VDavis had to slow down to get it... should have been a TD, but the net result was the same thankfully. Smith didn't light it up, he just played average considering he was playing the worst team in the league. Also, he had a good first drive, then only produced field goals, which is his hallmark (usually capped with a game killing INT at the end).

That pass was perfect. You want to throw it slightly under because if you overthrow it's incomplete. Which we do a lot. This way you have a 50 yard gain and the ball at the one. Better than an overthow incomplete pass any day.

and shaj would have been the first one to criticize it too if it would have happened.
Originally posted by HessianDud:
If our defense didn't give up 23 points to the worst offense in football we would have won this game.

strangely enough, I just realized this. f**k this overrated defense.
Originally posted by 1251alex:
If our defense didn't give up 23 points to the worst offense in football we would have won this game.

This is wrong. It is all Alex's fault. For getting injured, etc.

Dumbest move ever by Sing = getting rid of Shaun Hill so Smith doesn't have to look over his shoulder.... that shoulder being the one that is injured now. I knew Smith > Carr, but this is ridiculous. Hill would have gotten us a win today.

Talk about grasping for straws here .
  • dj43
I heart SD for going at ZRF and I wonder why ZRF never commented on the fact that Carolina's D has actually been above average this year.

Because the Niners defense is ranked number 10 OVERALL (better than Carolina.

Our passing defense only allows 20 yards MORE per game by opposing QBs than Carolina's passing defense, and are ranked number 11 in the league (top 1/3).

Yet, it didnt seem to stop their QB who was btw benched at the start fo the season. So why should we excuse ours for a half-assed performance ?

You mean the QB who threw for over 300 yards against us today ??

Yeah, so if a benched QB can throw for over 300 yards against the number 11 ranked defense which only allows 20 yards MORE per game passing than Carolina's pass defense, then why cant Alex be held accountable for not doing the same against them ?
For the record, Carolina's pass defense was #5 in the league going into today.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:

This is wrong. It is all Alex's fault. For getting injured, etc.

No, apparently it's all David Carr's fault. If Alex hadn't been injured and the outcome were the same, then and only then would it be a team effort and the defense would have to take the majority of the blame (which is true this week).
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
We would have probably won if Alex didn't get hurt.

He was having a pretty good day until the injury. Carr certainly isn't better.

Oh I am just eating popcorn waiting for the Smith haters to attempt to reply to this.

9/19 126 yards.....only sustaining one good drive. Yeah, pretty good day alright...compared to who ? Carr ?

Did he play the whole game or get knocked out with an injury?

actually, ZR has a point. Smith only had one long pass, and IMO it was underthrown.... VDavis had to slow down to get it... should have been a TD, but the net result was the same thankfully. Smith didn't light it up, he just played average considering he was playing the worst team in the league. Also, he had a good first drive, then only produced field goals, which is his hallmark (usually capped with a game killing INT at the end).

That pass was perfect. You want to throw it slightly under because if you overthrow it's incomplete. Which we do a lot. This way you have a 50 yard gain and the ball at the one. Better than an overthow incomplete pass any day.

and shaj would have been the first one to criticize it too if it would have happened.

If Smith was everything that most people in NT thinks he is, he wouldn't be playing in the final year of his contract with ZERO (none, nada, zip, zilch) renegotiation discussions happening. I think that is more telling than any statistic anyone here can come up with.

Nice try though.....

Yeah, because you are smart... Who the hell would look for a single quote from that.

Someone who wants to prove he's not just talking out of his ass?

I'm disappointing in myself for doing this, but whatever. Eat crow.

Originally posted by OnTheClock:
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
Originally posted by defender49:
HAHAHAHAHAAHAHA !!!!!!!!!!!

Alex is out ! D comes alive !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so alex coming out made the D come alive?

Dumbest sht I've heard in a long time.

Wow. If there was any credibility left, it has certainly vanished now.
Share 49ersWebzone