LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 230 users in the forums

Would Anyone from the Current Team start on the 89 Team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Singletary (in 89) and Willis ftw
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by wassmuth49:
Singletary (in 89) and Willis ftw

Willis would be like 3yrs old. Lol
that is why I didn't say willis (in 89) lol
Maaaaaybe Willis and Justin Smith, maybe. None of the current offensive players have the discipline and dedication. Gore would fumble and get benched, ask Rodger Craig about what happens to fumblers, VD's sloppy route running and number of dropped balls, simply would not be tolerated. Really none of these players fit the Bill Walsh mold. That team did not drop passes, it was crazy! How good that offense looked, nah these guys? HELL NO!
Willis, Brian Jennings, maybe J Smith, that's about it.
  • jrg
  • Veteran
Alex Smith
Originally posted by DaveWilcox:
Willis, Brian Jennings, maybe J Smith, that's about it.

Andy Lee would have punted. The Niners never really had an outstanding punter in the 80s and 90s.
definitely michael lewis...that 89 starting safety was awful.....

ummm sarcasm
Originally posted by Bejaard49er:
Willis
VD
Gore to halfback Graig back to fullback
Crabtree rotating with Taylor
Franklin rotating in
J Smith rotating in

John Taylor was arguably the best wr on that team. Crab would make the sqaud; but does not have the speed or playmaking ability of either.

As far as Gore for Rathman? Maybe in some situations but not in the base offense. Rathman had great hands for a fullback and Craig's tenacity is heads and shoulders over Gore. J. Smith would get some rotations play; but I don't know about Franklin.
Willis

Justin Smith

Jennings

Lee

I think crabtree would have excelled with the niners back in the day. He can run the slant to a Tee

Originally posted by susweel:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by Dshearn:
I am sure of... Gore would push Craig back to fullback. Vd over Jones Justin smith would start somewhere Willis and nate would start. Maybe... Crabs over Taylor Crabs has more upside. Franklin somewhere.....he is really underrated
Justin Smith definately would have started.
Taylor was way better then crabs. No way Gore starts over craig.

You never read Walsh's book....he spent many draft picks on hbs....he wanted Craig back as a fullback were he was a massive mismatch.....

There is zero doubt gore would start at hb and Craig would go BACK to fb. Walsh all but said that himself.
Originally posted by LundyLove:
Originally posted by niner4ever12:
vernon davis

Over Brent jones

I think i would rather start Jones

I hear that one, I so agree
If you compare this organization from ownership on down to the '89 team, only Willis and Lee would be on that team. Gore over Craig? Seriously? Craig was lethal in that offense. No way Gore would have fit that offense like Craig did.
Originally posted by amir_tn80:
If you compare this organization from ownership on down to the '89 team, only Willis and Lee would be on that team. Gore over Craig? Seriously? Craig was lethal in that offense. No way Gore would have fit that offense like Craig did.

Why do you say that? Gore has more than proven that he can be an effective receiver out of the back field. The fact that he has lead our team in receptions multiple times proves that. More of a pure runner with great vision and great blocking skills. I don't think it's a huge reach to think Frank could do what Craig did on that team.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Originally posted by amir_tn80:

Why do you say that? Gore has more than proven that he can be an effective receiver out of the back field. The fact that he has lead our team in receptions multiple times proves that. More of a pure runner with great vision and great blocking skills. I don't think it's a huge reach to think Frank could do what Craig did on that team.

Frank Gore over Craig easily. I don't even think Craig moves to FB because Rathman was so great. Craig was an over rated runner.
Share 49ersWebzone