LISTEN: 49ers Offseason Musings With Legendary Columnist Mike Silver →

There are 135 users in the forums

Would Anyone from the Current Team start on the 89 Team?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Patrick Willis, Justin Smith and Andy Lee for sure. Frank Gore would probably rotate with Roger Craig, though either one could be the "starter." VD would probably make the team, but be a #2 TE behind Brent Jones.

Whoever said Zak Keasey, find a new joke.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Willis and VD. They'd be freaks on that team. Great coaching offensively and defensively. Vernon would have an amazing year.
  • 9r4lf
pwillis - gore - spencer - vd -
Willis is a no brainer. I think Vernon would start over Brent. And I actually think Gore would start over Craig. And I'm a huge Roger Craig fan.
Come on now!
Alex Smith over Joe Montana
Just Willis. And no one from the coaching squad either.
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
And I actually think Gore would start over Craig. And I'm a huge Roger Craig fan.

Huge Craig fan too, but I think you are correct.
Crabs for Taylor is not realistic Crabs is not that good yet. Craig back No way Rathman was awesome making hole and catching and running plus Craig could do it all.

Rushing Rush Yds Avg TD
Roger Craig 271 1054 3.9 6
Tom Rathman 79 305 3.9 1

Receiving Rec Yds Avg TD
Jerry Rice 82 1483 18.1 17
Tom Rathman 73 616 8.4 1
John Taylor 60 1077 18.0 10
Roger Craig 49 473 9.7 1

Punt Returns Ret Yds Avg TD
John Taylor 36 417 11.6 0

I will stick with Willis, VD and Lee. Justin Smith might fit in the D-line rotation
Originally posted by StOnEy333:
Willis is a no brainer. I think Vernon would start over Brent. And I actually think Gore would start over Craig. And I'm a huge Roger Craig fan.

Frank "up the gut" Gore over Roger "high knees" Craig
Originally posted by 1251alex:
Zak Keasey.

• Shifty
  • Veteran
Gore over Craig
Willis and Lee
Vernon Possibly too
  • titan
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kidash:
QB Joe Montana
RB Roger Craig
FB Tom Rathman
WR Jerry Rice
WR John Taylor
TE Brent Jones
LT Bubba Paris
LG Guy McIntyre
C Jesse Sapolu
RG Bruce Collie
RT Harris Barton

LDE Pierce Holt
LDE Larry Roberts
NT Michael Carter
NT Pete Kugler
RDE Kevin f*gan
LOLB Charles Haley
LILB Matt Millen
MLB Jim Fahnhorst
RILB Mike Walter
ROLB Keena Turner
LCB Darryl Pollard
RCB Don Griffin
SS Chet Brooks
FS Ronnie Lott

1989 Staters...

I wouldn't mess with that teams Chemistry. I wouldn't touch a thing!
  • bret
  • Veteran
1. Wasn't Tim McKyer the starting left corner? Pollard was a nickel back. I would definitely picture Spencer ahead of Pollard, but not McKyer.

2. The Vernon Davis we see now would not start over Brent Jones - too many false stats, missed assignments, drops, etc. HOWEVER, I doubt seriously he would still have those problems if he was 4 years under the Walsh system! It could go either way, but knowing Walsh's eye for talent, I suspect VD would be the choice.

3. Paris was great, but remember, he was drafted because at 300 lbs. he was a monster! Staley is bigger than that AND quicker! Walsh loved Paris, but Paris was also his whipping boy. I go Staley over Pairs.

4. Gore's a great player, but I think Craig was a better fit for their system. I go Craig over Gore.

5. Willis was converted to a 3-4 linebacker. If he could have simply come in and played his natural position, you don' think he would be even better? Remember, Walsh LOVED speed. Willis over Fahnhorst.

6. Justin Smith is a great motor guy. f*gan and Roberts were both good, but I think Justin nudges one of them. I go Justin over f*gan.

7. Bruce Collie was a journeyman, and the Niners were used to turning scrap-heap players into a quality line. But they rarely had a talent to work with as special as Iupati. I suspect they might have shuffled the line a little to make a place for him. Iupati over Collie.

8. Chet Brooks was a back-up thrust into a starting role due to Jeff Fuller's injury. I think Walsh would have had no problem inserting a talent such as Taylor Mays' into the line-up. I go Mays over Brooks.

9. Joe Nedney over Mike Cofer isn't quite a given, but I think Nedney is the better choice.

10. Andy Lee over Barry Helton is a no-brainer.

That's 7 or 8 (if VD is in) out of 24.
Originally posted by bret:
3. Paris was great, but remember, he was drafted because at 300 lbs. he was a monster! Staley is bigger than that AND quicker! Walsh loved Paris, but Paris was also his whipping boy. I go Staley over Pairs.

That's a good point. Bubba was usually adequate, but not always. And when he wasn't adequate, his lack of speed would make things ugly in a hurry.

[ Edited by BubbaParisMVP on Oct 16, 2010 at 16:04:36 ]
  • bret
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by kidash:
QB Joe Montana
RB Roger Craig
FB Tom Rathman
WR Jerry Rice
WR John Taylor
TE Brent Jones
LT Bubba Paris
LG Guy McIntyre
C Jesse Sapolu
RG Bruce Collie
RT Harris Barton

LDE Pierce Holt
LDE Larry Roberts
NT Michael Carter
NT Pete Kugler
RDE Kevin f*gan
LOLB Charles Haley
LILB Matt Millen
MLB Jim Fahnhorst
RILB Mike Walter
ROLB Keena Turner
LCB Darryl Pollard
RCB Don Griffin
SS Chet Brooks
FS Ronnie Lott

1989 Staters...

some weird names there.... Chet Brooks, Darryl Pollard, Mike Walter, Pete Kugler, Larry Roberts, and Bruce Collie. How come these names don't ring a bell for me?

I'm surprised at the very least you don't remember Mike Walter and Larry Roberts.

Mike Walter was a 2nd round draft choice of Dallas in 1983. I don't recall the exact circumstances, but I think they tried to sneak him through waivers the next year due to an injury or something, but Bill pounced. He was a solid starter for about a half dozen years. Walsh commented in later years that Walter was one of those special kinds of players who wasn't flashy, but that you needed to build winners.

Larry Roberts was the Niners' first (2nd round) pick in the famous 86 draft. Walsh said afterwards that the player he wanted with his first round pick was Roberts, but he was confident enough that he wouldn't be taken that he traded down several times and STILL ended up with him. As it turns out, the other teams were right: he was never a big star; but he WAS a significant role player on some awfully good teams.
Share 49ersWebzone