LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 220 users in the forums

Joe Namath on Alex smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Namath is drinking again...sad
If Alex goes anywhere it will be to a team with a dynamic offense that resembles a spread. Any coach can see he's successful out of a system like that.

I honestly see him in Oakland or Arizona next year. Oakland wouldn't be the best fit but he'd be able to maintain his residence in Los Gatos. Arizona has weapons and Wisenhunt is a good coach who could utilize Smiths strength in the shotgun.
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
If Alex goes anywhere it will be to a team with a dynamic offense that resembles a spread. Any coach can see he's successful out of a system like that.

I honestly see him in Oakland or Arizona next year. Oakland wouldn't be the best fit but he'd be able to maintain his residence in Los Gatos. Arizona has weapons and Wisenhunt is a good coach who could utilize Smiths strength in the shotgun.

Be funny if he ends up in GB or in Indy (where Peyton becomes OC when he retires).
I disagree with Namath. He was a pretty much garbage QB also but he won a super bowl. His stats sucked balls.
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Jags, Vikes, Hawks, Raiders, Colts, Cards, Boys, and Panthers would all take him in a heartbeat.

Sure Steve DeBerg had a long NFL career, and a losing lifetime record! DeBerg was good even great at times, but he always managed to lose somehow week after week!
Steve DeBerg Stats Check it out he had a longer career than Montana! 1978-1998!

Stop with the DeBerg Bullsh!t. You cannot begin to compare DeBerg to Smith.

DeBerg didn't have 6 OCs'. His Line gave him more time than this Line gives Smith on the average. His Receiving Corps was better than Smith's EVER was.

It's a stupid comparison cause DeBerg was so very long ago and between Brodie and that guy Montana.

It's one thing when you come from having a solid QB(Brodie) then go to DeBerg, to Future HoF QB(Montana) because you only have one QB at that time in between. This team has had 6 QBs' since Steve retired.

That's SIX starters. Not one of them were great but not all of them sucked.

Garcia with some better protection could have been pretty good. He proved that in Philly and Tampa.

then we went through a 6 year period where we had a true revolving door at the position. I think that Rattay or even Dorsey could have been decent for us if they hadn't gotten injured.

But see here is where you don't get that the DeBerg comparison is horsesh!t. There is a reason QBs' get injured. Their Line doesn't keep the Defense off them. How many QBs' did we have Start in '05? Four. How many QBs' did we have Start in '04? Four. How many in '07? Four.

Cody Pickett
Glenn Dorsey
Tim Rattay
Trent Dilfer
Cade McNown
Jeff Garcia
JT O'Sullivan
Shaun Hill
Alex Smith
and one more who I cannot remember.

You can talk all the DeBerg Bullsh!t you want but at the end of the day the issue is still the same. That our Line has been sh!t and the chair at the OC desk has been spinning like a top.

You would think that at the end of the day SOMEBODY would be able to hold the job consistently right? Even Smith should be able to. He's the best of that entire bunch. Even Garcia as far as I am concerned. And I like Garcia. I think that guy was a pretty decent QB in the WCO. But we got rid of the WCO when we got rid of Garcia.

I guarantee that if you paired Smith up with a guy like Holmgren or Gruden, that Smith would be a hell of a QB.

I remember people talking a lot of sh!t about Garcia and they pointed out how much he sucked when he went to Cleveland and when he went to Detroit. Well he went to teams who did not run the WCO and could not protect him. Anyone remember when Cleveland and Denver traded their Lines? That was some wierd as sh!t. But when Garcia got back to the WCO with a Line that could protect him he was pretty damned good. Even had them wanting to get rid of McNabb.

QB is not the problem. It's Protection and System. Anyone that is paying attention can SEE this. When you Run the ball to the same spot OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and then put the QB Under Center in an I formation for a Pass play, dude is going to get his head kicked in. Bell Cow is a great philosophy when you have the guys up front to protect the QB. But this team hasn't had that Line in quite some time.

Yeah let's get McNabb he'll run this Alex DeBerg kid out of town he's so good. Oh wait, we're still running Bell Cow. And now instead of a young QB who can take some punishment we have an injury prone QB to throw the ball in the Bell Cow system.

You're friggin nuts.

We have a decent QB. We have some solid Core players. We just need to get out of this stupid Bell Cow system. We've been in it since '05. It's time to adapt and overcome or we'll be at it forever.

Getting rid of DeBerg at that time was because DeBerg didn't understand the WCO.

Please tell me the system that we've consistently adhered to that Smith doesn't understand? We're now on our 7th OC. But the one system this team has CONSISTENTLY run is Bell Cow.

~Ceadder

Steve DeBerg is not an insult, he was never out of work in his 20 year career. He played well with several teams, many of them as bad or worse then the teams Alex has play with.

The man had moments when he looked great! The guy just never and I mean NEVER seemed to get a break. He had impeccable timing tossing back breaking ints, of fumbling at inopportune moments. It may turn out to be THE most accurate comparison for Alex Smith.

If we cut Alex HE WILL be signed, he has shown enough skill to be VERY tempting. A change of scenery might be what he needs to excel, it might not, but here in Ninerland too much bad blood, too much negative history.

I'm tired of the 6 oc excuse, the poor O-line excuse, other have dealt with the same or worse.

Will Alex become a great NFL QB, maybe, but I'm done we have passed on plenty of chances to upgrade the QB position, sin in the NFL. A quality team ALWAYS looks to get better at all position, especially QB! Time at the very least to stop passing on QB talent.

Alex is THE BEST QB on this team right now and we must live or die with him.

Carr is NEVR the answer unless the question "Who sucks"

Alex Alex and that we can be sure of
Jags, Vikes, Hawks, Raiders, Colts, Cards, Boys, and Panthers would all take him in a heartbeat.

Sure Steve DeBerg had a long NFL career, and a losing lifetime record! DeBerg was good even great at times, but he always managed to lose somehow week after week!

DeBerg didn't have 6 OCs'. His Line gave him more time than this Line gives Smith on the average. His Receiving Corps was better than Smith's EVER was.

It's a stupid comparison cause DeBerg was so very long ago and between Brodie and that guy Montana.

It's one thing when you come from having a solid QB(Brodie) then go to DeBerg, to Future HoF QB(Montana) because you only have one QB at that time in between. This team has had 6 QBs' since Steve retired.

Garcia with some better protection could have been pretty good. He proved that in Philly and Tampa.

then we went through a 6 year period where we had a true revolving door at the position. I think that Rattay or even Dorsey could have been decent for us if they hadn't gotten injured.

But see here is where you don't get that the DeBerg comparison is horsesh!t. There is a reason QBs' get injured. Their Line doesn't keep the Defense off them. How many QBs' did we have Start in '05? Four. How many QBs' did we have Start in '04? Four. How many in '07? Four.

Cody Pickett
Glenn Dorsey
Tim Rattay
Trent Dilfer
Cade McNown
Jeff Garcia
JT O'Sullivan
Shaun Hill
Alex Smith

You can talk all the DeBerg Bullsh!t you want but at the end of the day the issue is still the same. That our Line has been sh!t and the chair at the OC desk has been spinning like a top.

You would think that at the end of the day SOMEBODY would be able to hold the job consistently right? Even Smith should be able to. He's the best of that entire bunch. Even Garcia as far as I am concerned. And I like Garcia. I think that guy was a pretty decent QB in the WCO. But we got rid of the WCO when we got rid of Garcia.

I guarantee that if you paired Smith up with a guy like Holmgren or Gruden, that Smith would be a hell of a QB.

I remember people talking a lot of sh!t about Garcia and they pointed out how much he sucked when he went to Cleveland and when he went to Detroit. Well he went to teams who did not run the WCO and could not protect him. Anyone remember when Cleveland and Denver traded their Lines? That was some wierd as sh!t. But when Garcia got back to the WCO with a Line that could protect him he was pretty damned good. Even had them wanting to get rid of McNabb.

QB is not the problem. It's Protection and System. Anyone that is paying attention can SEE this. When you Run the ball to the same spot OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and then put the QB Under Center in an I formation for a Pass play, dude is going to get his head kicked in. Bell Cow is a great philosophy when you have the guys up front to protect the QB. But this team hasn't had that Line in quite some time.

Yeah let's get McNabb he'll run this Alex DeBerg kid out of town he's so good. Oh wait, we're still running Bell Cow. And now instead of a young QB who can take some punishment we have an injury prone QB to throw the ball in the Bell Cow system.

You're friggin nuts.

We have a decent QB. We have some solid Core players. We just need to get out of this stupid Bell Cow system. We've been in it since '05. It's time to adapt and overcome or we'll be at it forever.

Getting rid of DeBerg at that time was because DeBerg didn't understand the WCO.

Please tell me the system that we've consistently adhered to that Smith doesn't understand? We're now on our 7th OC. But the one system this team has CONSISTENTLY run is Bell Cow.

~Ceadder

Steve DeBerg is not an insult, he was never out of work in his 20 year career. He played well with several teams, many of them as bad or worse then the teams Alex has play with.

The man had moments when he looked great! The guy just never and I mean NEVER seemed to get a break. He had impeccable timing tossing back breaking ints, of fumbling at inopportune moments. It may turn out to be THE most accurate comparison for Alex Smith.

If we cut Alex HE WILL be signed, he has shown enough skill to be VERY tempting. A change of scenery might be what he needs to excel, it might not, but here in Ninerland too much bad blood, too much negative history.

I'm tired of the 6 oc excuse, the poor O-line excuse, other have dealt with the same or worse.

Will Alex become a great NFL QB, maybe, but I'm done we have passed on plenty of chances to upgrade the QB position, sin in the NFL. A quality team ALWAYS looks to get better at all position, especially QB! Time at the very least to stop passing on QB talent.

Alex is THE BEST QB on this team right now and we must live or die with him.

Carr is NEVR the answer unless the question "Who sucks"

Alex Alex and that we can be sure of

And how many of them turned out to be successful? 0!!!
Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by HessianDud:
Originally posted by Leathaface:
While I agree that running a more spread attack will benefit the offense, especially Smith, I think that people are seriously undervaluing Orton. The guy is a good QB, and has been since last year. He's got a pretty strong arm as well.

i think he's always been pretty good. he's been a winner ever since his rookie year. definitely an underrated qb. still, its hard to see orton and not imagine that smith would do at least that well in the same system, with a coach who really understands the QB position calling the shots.

Sounds so cliche and Singleteryesque but i think Orton has better "intangibles" and an overall better feel for the game. Lets hope that Smith is finally figuring it out though...I have a feeling he's gonna be a better QB moving forward and we're gonna get some wins...enough to save the season? doubtful. enough to save his career as a 49er starter? possibly. I'm a huge Smith hater but if he can turn it around and play great from here on out, it might be in our best interest to bring him back. it's like yea he's sucked for 6 years but if he's finally good, it wouldn't make sense to get rid of him now...

yeah, i do think Orton has those "intangibles." Whatever they are, some guys have 'em, some guys don't. Orton ain't much to look at, but he gets it done. But some of that s**t CAN be learned; a lot of it is comfort level. Orton is in an offense where he is VERY comfortable and has clear direction from an involved coach.

I hope Alex can turn it around and find a comfort level and we can start actually building a modern NFL offense, which, I think, could suit him very well. He's never going to be Peyton Manning, but, honestly, in a league full of mediocre and s**t QB's, all it takes is being "pretty good" to win.

For me--and I've always been what you'd call a "Smith supporter"--the first half against Oakland is his last chance. He's got to really show something, or we have to cut the chord and start evaluating the other three QB's we have.
  • tn9er
  • Veteran

Cody Pickett
Glenn Dorsey
Tim Rattay
Trent Dilfer
Cade McNown
Jeff Garcia
JT O'Sullivan
Shaun Hill
Alex Smith

You're friggin nuts.

~Ceadder

Well said and the missing QB would be Weinke.
Originally posted by tn9er:

Cody Pickett
Glenn Dorsey
Tim Rattay
Trent Dilfer
Cade McNown
Jeff Garcia
JT O'Sullivan
Shaun Hill
Alex Smith

You're friggin nuts.

~Ceadder

Don't remind me
  • tn9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:

Cody Pickett
Glenn Dorsey
Tim Rattay
Trent Dilfer
Cade McNown
Jeff Garcia
JT O'Sullivan
Shaun Hill
Alex Smith

You're friggin nuts.

~Ceadder

Don't remind me

too late, too bad...

I think Alex has some skills and might have turned out to be a good QB with better coaching / situation, but I wonder if he will ever get there now. I think he is scarred emotionally from all he has gone through - getting hurt, too many OC's, Nolan, a city that hates him and is ready to pounce on any mistake he makes, and he plays like he is afraid of his coach. I do think he could have developed in a different situation, but I really don't know if it is too late now. He needs to get out of SF for sure. McDaniel in Denver could turn him into an all-pro, but I don't think most other coaches could at this point.

Someone will eat crow in the next few years, but I wouldn't bet on it being the haters or the supporters. Alex may still be able to succeed, but it will have to be in the perefect situation. I will only bet on his future when I see where he lands. I would bet he isn't in SF next year.
This is so ridiculous, these people expect a QB to be GREAT! with out good protection with receivers TRIPPING when they run their routes and with having to change systems every year and then after all the change run the same damn line up and plays. It isn't hard for a defense to figure out what the Niners are doing. I don't think Alex Smith is great in anyway. What I do think is that with him we will get a talented group of players together with a close bond that become one unit, that play together with everything timed perfectly. We are making the necessary changes to fix our line by picking up rookies and once they learn we will win games! Getting rid of Alex without going all out spread offense for most games would be the biggest mistake we can make. You don't drop a Number 1 draft pick unless you put him in the best position that your team can and he still fails. Until we run all out spread commit to the pass and see what happens you can't truly judge him so harshly.
lol@comparing Smith to DeBerg. DeBerg had BILL WALSH, Smith had Jimmy Raye and Mike Singletary, lol. I just think that's some of the funniest ish I've read on this site in a while.

[ Edited by binary2nd on Oct 15, 2010 at 19:14:01 ]
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dj43:
28 is too high. The number is more likely 15-18 who would sign him. 8 of those would be as a starter, the others as a backup.

Smith will get a nice contract next year.

Name me 8 teams besides the 49ers that Smith would start on
  • Shifty
  • Veteran
Originally posted by backontop:

Cody Pickett
Glenn Dorsey
Tim Rattay
Trent Dilfer
Cade McNown
Jeff Garcia
JT O'Sullivan
Shaun Hill
Alex Smith

You're friggin nuts.

~Ceadder

Don't remind me

too late, too bad...

Also it was Ken Dorsey, not Glenn Dorsey
Share 49ersWebzone