LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 241 users in the forums

Joe Namath on Alex smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
I don't know about 28 or 29 but Alex would get picked up and could start.

Yeah he's a "6 year vet" but he's only played 3 years worth of games and is only 26. To say he's "done" is pretty dumb. Now if he was 30 I'd agree.
Originally posted by ttime1:
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by servegmo:
there is no dough he will get a nice contract, and there will be at least 15 team wanting for him to come and compete for a starting job...

last week he help himself in a big way reacting to adversity the way he did on ntaional television...

he made a lot of fans and that will be shown on the offseason...

go niners

Alex Smith choked. He got frazzled when he was booed and VD had to encourage him to speak up for his postion. He led two nice drives but when he had an opportunity to take the lead he missed a wide open Gore. Te next play was typical Alex. An interception and game over. He may have garnered some sympathy points, but he certainly did not demonstrate the leadership needed to succeed in this league.

Don't remember any choking in that final drive against NO. The line didn't have anything to do with that last interecption against Philly? With the fan base crashing down on his head and Singletary calling him out before a national audience (and his teammates strongly rallying for him) and under unbelievable pressure he leads two virtually perfect drives for TDs. I guarantee there are good NFL coaches who took notice of those games and would like to see what Smith could for them.

This is what I don't get. The line was ok on the play before when he could not make a simple pass to a wide open Gore that would have went for big yardage if not the TD. Hell, Smith could have even ran the damn ball for big yards as there was no one from the Phili on that side of the field. Instead, he misses Gore completely. In this game, if you do not take advantavge of your opportunities you have nothing to say on the next play when it results in an interception.

do you Smith haters even watch the game? that pass was tipped! Yea the OLine really did their job on that play The last interception the line let the defenders free and Smith couldn't step into his throw as he was hit mid throw.

I have actually been anticipating that you would say something stupd to me for a while and you just did. Pleasure to meet you my friend.

I have heard it all now. It was the DEFENSE'S FAULT WHY ALEX DID NOT MAKE THE PLAY WHICH WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE 49ERS THE LEAD? The defense is not paid to just sit there and let the offense make plays. He did what he was supposed to by batting a poorly thrown ball down. Alex did not by throwing a poorly thrown ball. The OL did their job as Alex had no preasure on that play.

A real QB would have made THAT play! Some would have moved to the left, others to the right and a few even backwards to loft the ball to a WIDE-OPEN GORE WHO HAD NOTHING BUT OPEN FIELD. Vick may have ran the ball in himself. But Alex did not make THE most important play of the game. He did not and what happens when you don't make plays? It normally comes back to bite you. Next play; Alex get preasure; throws an intercepton and game over.

Nothing else matters. All that reaction to the drama prior to that play meant nothing as the end result was what caused the drama from the begining. Another damn turnover.

okayyy so now there wasn't any pressure on Smith during that play Now I know you are not watching the games. Davis got beat! and his defender was coming after Smith. That was also the same guy that TIPPED THE PASS!!!! Put down the haterade and take off the hater shades. If the O-Line does there job then Smith completes the pass to Gore or the pass to Zeigler on the play where he was hit and the pass was intercepted. Or if you really want to get down to it, if the damn coaches turned to the spread offense earlier instead of the predictable gore up the middle on 1st and 2nd down then it would have never come to a last play. Or if the defense could prevent a defense from putting 20+ pts on the board it wouldn't come down to a last play. Only a Smith hater would call a 300+yard day with 3 TD a crap performance. But I am the one who is saying something stupid....Right!!!! you keep on thinking that there buddy.
His agent has to talk sense into him and get him out of here unless a new coach comes in real soon and installs a workable system.

He would get picked up. A first rounder with skills, a good person with a pleasing personality, not too expensive...why not?

I don't think you can make the case that he is a top tier guy, a QB who is intuitive and has "it". He should be careful about what coach/system he signs up with as his comfort level is fairly defined.

He just has to give it up here. If he was my kid, or my client, he would not be here.
  • fly15
  • Veteran
Originally posted by LambdaChi49:
I don't know about 28 or 29 but Alex would get picked up and could start.

Yeah he's a "6 year vet" but he's only played 3 years worth of games and is only 26. To say he's "done" is pretty dumb. Now if he was 30 I'd agree.

Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by servegmo:
there is no dough he will get a nice contract, and there will be at least 15 team wanting for him to come and compete for a starting job...

last week he help himself in a big way reacting to adversity the way he did on ntaional television...

he made a lot of fans and that will be shown on the offseason...

go niners

Alex Smith choked. He got frazzled when he was booed and VD had to encourage him to speak up for his postion. He led two nice drives but when he had an opportunity to take the lead he missed a wide open Gore. Te next play was typical Alex. An interception and game over. He may have garnered some sympathy points, but he certainly did not demonstrate the leadership needed to succeed in this league.

Don't remember any choking in that final drive against NO. The line didn't have anything to do with that last interecption against Philly? With the fan base crashing down on his head and Singletary calling him out before a national audience (and his teammates strongly rallying for him) and under unbelievable pressure he leads two virtually perfect drives for TDs. I guarantee there are good NFL coaches who took notice of those games and would like to see what Smith could for them.

This is what I don't get. The line was ok on the play before when he could not make a simple pass to a wide open Gore that would have went for big yardage if not the TD. Hell, Smith could have even ran the damn ball for big yards as there was no one from the Phili on that side of the field. Instead, he misses Gore completely. In this game, if you do not take advantavge of your opportunities you have nothing to say on the next play when it results in an interception.

do you Smith haters even watch the game? that pass was tipped! Yea the OLine really did their job on that play The last interception the line let the defenders free and Smith couldn't step into his throw as he was hit mid throw.

I have actually been anticipating that you would say something stupd to me for a while and you just did. Pleasure to meet you my friend.

I have heard it all now. It was the DEFENSE'S FAULT WHY ALEX DID NOT MAKE THE PLAY WHICH WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE 49ERS THE LEAD? The defense is not paid to just sit there and let the offense make plays. He did what he was supposed to by batting a poorly thrown ball down. Alex did not by throwing a poorly thrown ball. The OL did their job as Alex had no preasure on that play.

A real QB would have made THAT play! Some would have moved to the left, others to the right and a few even backwards to loft the ball to a WIDE-OPEN GORE WHO HAD NOTHING BUT OPEN FIELD. Vick may have ran the ball in himself. But Alex did not make THE most important play of the game. He did not and what happens when you don't make plays? It normally comes back to bite you. Next play; Alex get preasure; throws an intercepton and game over.

Nothing else matters. All that reaction to the drama prior to that play meant nothing as the end result was what caused the drama from the begining. Another damn turnover.

Gore would have fumbled the ball anyways...
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
Originally posted by danimal:
Originally posted by bigmike55:
Alex Smith will be a third stringer, competing for a backup position after this season, if not out of the league. He is hot garbage.

he will be a starter on a team that uses his strengths to their advantage.

lol. OK, perhaps somebody can use JaMarcus's strengths too while were at it

Once again, typical pro Alex garbage.......according to them, bad QB's don't exist...there is only misuse

This statement is just ridiculous. Before you start taking shots, think about what you write. I'm not jocking Alex Smith, but to compare him to a drug addicted slob like JaMarcus Russel is just outright naive and stupid.

I am not comparing him to JaMarcus Russell.....try reading it again...though the point may be lost on some.

Here I will help, though the Alex realists have pointed this out millions of times but it still seems confusing to some.

The point is, I could have dropped 50 names there.

David Carr
Joey Harrington
Ryan Leaf
Tim Couch
Akili Smith
etc
etc

Thats the point. Once again, all the Alex supporters are really saying when they make statements like this

Quote:

is that there are no bad QB's, only bad coaches and coordinators.

Unless ofcourse you are under the impression any QB who has ever stepped onto an NFL field did not have strengths. They ALLLLLLL had strengths, what do you think got them drafted in the first place???????

you were saying something about naive and stupid?

[ Edited by danimal on Oct 15, 2010 at 18:19:18 ]
Alex Smith will be a third stringer, competing for a backup position after this season, if not out of the league. He is hot garbage.

Once again, typical pro Alex garbage.......according to them, bad QB's don't exist...there is only misuse

This statement is just ridiculous. Before you start taking shots, think about what you write. I'm not jocking Alex Smith, but to compare him to a drug addicted slob like JaMarcus Russel is just outright naive and stupid.

I am not comparing him to JaMarcus Russell.....try reading it again...though the point may be lost on some.

and like I said, Smith puts in the time to improve, Jamarcus Russel puts in time at Krispy Kreme.
Originally posted by GolittaCamper:
Originally posted by GEEK:
Jags, Vikes, Hawks, Raiders, Colts, Cards, Boys, and Panthers would all take him in a heartbeat.

Sure Steve DeBerg had a long NFL career, and a losing lifetime record! DeBerg was good even great at times, but he always managed to lose somehow week after week!
Steve DeBerg Stats Check it out he had a longer career than Montana! 1978-1998!

Stop with the DeBerg Bullsh!t. You cannot begin to compare DeBerg to Smith.

DeBerg didn't have 6 OCs'. His Line gave him more time than this Line gives Smith on the average. His Receiving Corps was better than Smith's EVER was.

It's a stupid comparison cause DeBerg was so very long ago and between Brodie and that guy Montana.

It's one thing when you come from having a solid QB(Brodie) then go to DeBerg, to Future HoF QB(Montana) because you only have one QB at that time in between. This team has had 6 QBs' since Steve retired.

That's SIX starters. Not one of them were great but not all of them sucked.

Garcia with some better protection could have been pretty good. He proved that in Philly and Tampa.

then we went through a 6 year period where we had a true revolving door at the position. I think that Rattay or even Dorsey could have been decent for us if they hadn't gotten injured.

But see here is where you don't get that the DeBerg comparison is horsesh!t. There is a reason QBs' get injured. Their Line doesn't keep the Defense off them. How many QBs' did we have Start in '05? Four. How many QBs' did we have Start in '04? Four. How many in '07? Four.

Cody Pickett
Glenn Dorsey
Tim Rattay
Trent Dilfer
Cade McNown
Jeff Garcia
JT O'Sullivan
Shaun Hill
Alex Smith
and one more who I cannot remember.

You can talk all the DeBerg Bullsh!t you want but at the end of the day the issue is still the same. That our Line has been sh!t and the chair at the OC desk has been spinning like a top.

You would think that at the end of the day SOMEBODY would be able to hold the job consistently right? Even Smith should be able to. He's the best of that entire bunch. Even Garcia as far as I am concerned. And I like Garcia. I think that guy was a pretty decent QB in the WCO. But we got rid of the WCO when we got rid of Garcia.

I guarantee that if you paired Smith up with a guy like Holmgren or Gruden, that Smith would be a hell of a QB.

I remember people talking a lot of sh!t about Garcia and they pointed out how much he sucked when he went to Cleveland and when he went to Detroit. Well he went to teams who did not run the WCO and could not protect him. Anyone remember when Cleveland and Denver traded their Lines? That was some wierd as sh!t. But when Garcia got back to the WCO with a Line that could protect him he was pretty damned good. Even had them wanting to get rid of McNabb.

QB is not the problem. It's Protection and System. Anyone that is paying attention can SEE this. When you Run the ball to the same spot OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and then put the QB Under Center in an I formation for a Pass play, dude is going to get his head kicked in. Bell Cow is a great philosophy when you have the guys up front to protect the QB. But this team hasn't had that Line in quite some time.

Yeah let's get McNabb he'll run this Alex DeBerg kid out of town he's so good. Oh wait, we're still running Bell Cow. And now instead of a young QB who can take some punishment we have an injury prone QB to throw the ball in the Bell Cow system.

You're friggin nuts.

We have a decent QB. We have some solid Core players. We just need to get out of this stupid Bell Cow system. We've been in it since '05. It's time to adapt and overcome or we'll be at it forever.

Getting rid of DeBerg at that time was because DeBerg didn't understand the WCO.

Please tell me the system that we've consistently adhered to that Smith doesn't understand? We're now on our 7th OC. But the one system this team has CONSISTENTLY run is Bell Cow.

~Ceadder

and like I said, Smith puts in the time to improve, Jamarcus Russel puts in time at Krispy Kreme.

read the edit above.

Originally posted by PTulini:
I see Alex being a backup with another team next season. He'll have a chance to start again in the future. I could see Alex with the Colts, Browns, Broncos, Chargers, and Dolphins. He's only 26! What if Gruden goes to the Browns and he signs Alex? Gruden has always thought highly of Alex Smith.

Gruden runs the WCO...Alex struggles undercenter....even his fanboys scream that we should be in the shutgun spread the whole game.

is Gruden all the sudden going to fix Alex's mechanics? Sure Gruden has the knowledge, but will Alex all the sudden just feel comfortable playing under center....then oh lets not forget "omgz another offensive scheme to learn"

read the edit above.

Your statement is based on assumptions. Did I ever say that there is no bad QB? No I said that Smith needs to be with a coach who will play towards his strengths. Smith has already proven that he can be highly affective in the spread offense. Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf and other straight up failures never succeeded in any situation what so ever. But hey if you want to make assumptions to try and make yourself seem like you know what you are talking about then hey by all means go for it. Just don't try and pass it off as someone is actually saying that.
Originally posted by Afrikan:
Originally posted by PTulini:
I see Alex being a backup with another team next season. He'll have a chance to start again in the future. I could see Alex with the Colts, Browns, Broncos, Chargers, and Dolphins. He's only 26! What if Gruden goes to the Browns and he signs Alex? Gruden has always thought highly of Alex Smith.

Gruden runs the WCO...Alex struggles undercenter....even his fanboys scream that we should be in the shutgun spread the whole game.

is Gruden all the sudden going to fix Alex's mechanics? Sure Gruden has the knowledge, but will Alex all the sudden just feel comfortable playing under center....then oh lets not forget "omgz another offensive scheme to learn"

Only reason Smith struggles Under Center is cause we CONSISTENTLY Run up the middle.

Yeah let's suck the Defense in and then expect the QB to throw short to medium passes(WCO passing Chart) in the middle.

That's a straight up mindf@ck for ANY QB. Smith doesn't consistently stuggle Under Center. We just have a stupid philosophy that puts ANY QB in a bad situation and then get mad because they struggle.

STOP WITH THE BELL COW CRAP and whoever is Under Center will have better games. Duh.

~Ceadder

[ Edited by Ceadderman on Oct 15, 2010 at 18:31:34 ]

read the edit above.

Your statement is based on assumptions. Did I ever say that there is no bad QB? No I said that Smith needs to be with a coach who will play towards his strengths. Smith has already proven that he can be highly affective in the spread offense. Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf and other straight up failures never succeeded in any situation what so ever. But hey if you want to make assumptions to try and make yourself seem like you know what you are talking about then hey by all means go for it. Just don't try and pass it off as someone is actually saying that.

thanks for using the word assumption, because thats what your entire premise is.

Just hope that Alex does not land in that perfect situation for HIM, because if he does, and he does not succeed....you are going to have a lot of rethinking to do though I am sure you will never eat crow about it on this board

Anybody can play the game you are playing right now, that game of oh plug in this player into X system and WOW. Barry Sanders on the Cowboys would have gotten 30,000 yards and 7 Rings right? Its all assumptions man.

read the edit above.

thanks for using the word assumption, because thats what your entire premise is.

Just hope that Alex does not land in that perfect situation for HIM, because if he does, and he does not succeed....you are going to have a lot of rethinking to do though I am sure you will never eat crow about it on this board

Anybody can play the game you are playing right now, that game of oh plug in this player into X system and WOW. Barry Sanders on the Cowboys would have gotten 30,000 yards and 7 Rings right? Its all assumptions man.

Sorry there buddy but it isn't an assumption. Smith has always played better in a spread style offense. If you deny that then I might as well end this conversation now because your hatershades are to dark for you to even watch the game. He performed better in the 2009 season when in the spread offense and once again this season performs at a high level in the spread offense. Therefore it is not an assumption to say that if he gets picked up by a team that utilizes his strengths (meaning placing him in a spread style offense) he will perform at a high level and therefore succeed there where as he failed here.
Share 49ersWebzone