LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 261 users in the forums

Ann Killion: Niners need to cut losses, get rid of Alex Smith

Shop Find 49ers gear online
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
wonderful article. She's telling us we should just admit the mistake with Alex and move on.... and the sooner we do it, the better, like the Raiders with Jamarcus Russell. I know most zoners will say she's an idiot, only because she doesn't tell you what you want to hear, but the truth hurts. Some cool snippets from the article:

"..the 49ers' entire plan is to have Smith succeed. They don't have any other ideas or contingency plans. They made a point to remove competition and pressure and cocoon him in job security. Again, not the way the rest of the league does it. But the 49ers are different."

".. the 49ers continue to cling to the few moments of promise Smith has shown over the years. They are so few that everyone can recite them by heart: a late game drive against Seattle in 2006, a second-half rally in a loss at Houston last season, the waning moments of last month's Monday Night game against New Orleans."

"But he hasn't performed like an NFL quarterback. In any other franchise, the plug would have been pulled long ago. The experiment ended. The investment swallowed. The team would have moved on."

"the 49ers don't want to hear it. If they admit to being wrong about Smith, that means they must concede they're wrong about everything. That their vision is flawed. That they need to start over. Instead, they keep operating as though they have all the time in the world."

link to article
Isn't it obvious by now, by the media by

and by the locker room that Alex Smith is pretty much gone or at least demoted after this year?

Unless he takes us to the NFC championship, but we ''can't even win a game!''

[ Edited by TonyStarks on Oct 13, 2010 at 22:49:48 ]
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

and by the locker room that Alex Smith is pretty much gone or at least demoted after this year?

locker room still seems to love him
Originally posted by Shaj:
wonderful article. She's telling us we should just admit the mistake with Alex and move on.... and the sooner we do it, the better, like the Raiders with Jamarcus Russell. I know most zoners will say she's an idiot, only because she doesn't tell you what you want to hear, but the truth hurts. Some cool snippets from the article:

"..the 49ers' entire plan is to have Smith succeed. They don't have any other ideas or contingency plans. They made a point to remove competition and pressure and cocoon him in job security. Again, not the way the rest of the league does it. But the 49ers are different."

".. the 49ers continue to cling to the few moments of promise Smith has shown over the years. They are so few that everyone can recite them by heart: a late game drive against Seattle in 2006, a second-half rally in a loss at Houston last season, the waning moments of last month's Monday Night game against New Orleans."

"But he hasn't performed like an NFL quarterback. In any other franchise, the plug would have been pulled long ago. The experiment ended. The investment swallowed. The team would have moved on."

"the 49ers don't want to hear it. If they admit to being wrong about Smith, that means they must concede they're wrong about everything. That their vision is flawed. That they need to start over. Instead, they keep operating as though they have all the time in the world."

link to article

Only way he gets resigned is if we make the playoffs. So basically...not likely. Would be a nice story though.
Originally posted by footballxpaul:
Originally posted by TonyStarks:

locker room still seems to love him

of course VD loves Alex.
He gave him that gimme two yard t.d. to get closer to the Tight End record last year.
Can we please just clean house and bring in a new coaching staff and new QB and new philosophy? I want the WCO, a consistent QB, a defense that doesn't suck and isn't full of itself for no reason, and just keep the guys like Vernon, Crabtree, Willis, etc who another coach and QB could do a lot more with.

I actually think Smith will do ok once he leaves the 9ers, but I think there's just no way he can succeed here. He's playing on a game to game basis now, the fans are always waiting for the other shoe to drop when he plays because even when he does some good things he's good for atleast 1-2 retarded mistakes per game, etc. He needs an ultra good OC just to be decent and we can't rely on him.
Well duh, too bad our organization is too stupid to do that. Wow when did Al Davis become smarter than us? At least reguarding QB's anyway. Jeez that's sad.
Good ol' Killion, when she drops the hammer, you know there's nothing left to be said on the issue--for want of hammers.
  • 4ML
  • Veteran
[insert gif of beating the dead horse]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Ugh....her only advice is to get rid of Alex.

Okay...for whom?

Generally I like reading her stuff, but most of this is emotional/sensationalist crap. There is very little reasoning involved here....it's more of the same, "Alex is the root of all the problems, and if you get rid of him, all will be well"

Nevermind the defense, nevermind the mistakes of other key players, nevermind the uninspired, play it safe at all costs game plans.

yes what a brilliant article. i'm sure none of us could have firgured this out. we've only said this about a million times in NT
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Quote:
I want the WCO, a consistent QB, a defense that doesn't suck and isn't full of itself for no reason, and just keep the guys like Vernon, Crabtree, Willis, etc who another coach and QB could do a lot more with.

LMAO. Every time I read stuff like this I chuckle. Like it's a simple switch that can be flipped, and Jed York can walk down a shopping aisle in the offseason and pickup some WCO, grab a "consistent" QB, and a defense "that doesn't suck"....and BAM Presto, you got a contender.
Originally posted by kray28:
Quote:
I want the WCO, a consistent QB, a defense that doesn't suck and isn't full of itself for no reason, and just keep the guys like Vernon, Crabtree, Willis, etc who another coach and QB could do a lot more with.

LMAO. Every time I read stuff like this I chuckle. Like it's a simple switch that can be flipped, and Jed York can walk down a shopping aisle in the offseason and pickup some WCO, grab a "consistent" QB, and a defense "that doesn't suck"....and BAM Presto, you got a contender.

lol Why are you picking on my post? For the most part I agree with what you said before, that Smith is part of the problem but there's plenty around him and you just nitpick part of my post and act superior for no reason. For the record, it HAS been done before, plenty of times. Just look at the 1-15 dolphins that made the postseason the next year with Parcells on board, a new QB, some new defensive players, etc. Or the Rams might even do it this year. We have a lot of talent, and we should win if those players are put in a position to win. Unfortunately we have a very poorly coached team and that is not happening right now.

Like I said before, I think Smith will go on somewhere else and eventually be pretty succesful. I just don't think it'll happen here.
ann killion, people still read her crap?.
  • kray28
  • Veteran
I'm just saying that the road that the "Blame Alex/Scorched Earth" crew want to go down.....it's not necessarily going to be the quick fix everyone thinks it will be.

We don't have all the necessary personnel to run a WCO, and converting the offensive system will take time.

Smith is not really in the WCO mold...he'll have to go. And Gore....he's not the typical WCO back either, neither is Dixon (Westbrook is though). None of our linemen fit the WCO mold either.
Share 49ersWebzone