There are 118 users in the forums

The Future of Our Beloved Niners after 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
This team wins the NFC west..... Singletary stays and A.Smith moves on.
Originally posted by ninertico:
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The fact that "reports" are slipping out that indicate Dingleberry is as good as gone -- it looks like someone high up in Niner Central has indeed "written off the season" and is looking forward.

So -- I think this thread is warranted. As a fan? I hate to write off the season in early October -- but facts are facts. We all know -- deep down inside -- that it would take a bloody miracle for this Niner team to run off a stretch of wins and get back into the NFC West race.

Whether you're a fan of the QB or not -- I think everyone knows this to be true.

So -- why not plan for 2011 and beyond if the decision has already been made to blow it all up and start over?

In a perfect world? I'd love to see Eddie D. and his sister bury the hatchet -- Eddie takes control of the team with the caveat that young Jed comes along in a mentorship role.

Once Eddie has control of the team again -- he knows exactly what buttons to push and where to push them.

He built an empire before from ashes. He's got the template. He can do it again.

But -- that's just my little dream.

I like the dream man, I really do. I think most would love to see that happen.

I want that first win too, and we will get it. This will not be a 0-16 team for sure. We just have to be patient with this season and continue to root for our squad.

In the meantime, thanks for participating in the thread Bird. This was really a tough thread to start because I didn't want to be the one to instigate the start of this thought process. Still, I think the time is now to look to the future and stop dwelling on the negatives of this season.

We already know and feel deep in our hearts that Singletary AND Alex are not right for this team. We already know we need an experienced NFL exec to control the operations of the team. We know already that we have talent and it needs new leadership, development and coaching.

So why not start now? Have a lil fun in trying to assemble a front office and new coaching staff with a dash of new player blood at key position like QB, pass rusher, CB in next year's draft.

Again, if you don't want to particpate, that's OK. For those that do, you have a place to do it.

So definitely a GM to start, huh? A lil WCO will go a long way and it may be the remedy to bring back fans as most didn't like the digit (Coryell) system over the last four years since Norv.

I love Gruden, but after doing more research on his tenures, he does lose players with his anger management issues when he's losing. I believe Harbaugh is a fine candidate as well after reading about his system and what he's doing in Stanford.

How ironic is that?

I am sure there's a huge WCO tree out there and we can pull from the brightest. It will be the GM's job for sure.

This thread gives me a lil solace in a time of madness.

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I have no problem with the thread just the timing. A lot can change between now and January. You have to wait and see who gets fired at the end of the year. I alluded to it in another thread (i.e. Dal fires Wade, SD fires Norv).

If you start this thread now it will be pages full of just speculation. We won't make any significant hires in season even if Singletary was to get fired on Monday.

Of course it's speculation, but the fact is that Singletary and Alex won't be here even if they do well. Singletary has lost the respect of many in this org and I believe Jed, too. Again, total spec on my part.

So what? We have better things to do? Write better posts on better threads? All those threads out there delving in maddening spiral arguments with no end.

Here, we have a place to get away.

I'll get back to you next Monday.
The fact that "reports" are slipping out that indicate Dingleberry is as good as gone -- it looks like someone high up in Niner Central has indeed "written off the season" and is looking forward.

So -- I think this thread is warranted. As a fan? I hate to write off the season in early October -- but facts are facts. We all know -- deep down inside -- that it would take a bloody miracle for this Niner team to run off a stretch of wins and get back into the NFC West race.

Whether you're a fan of the QB or not -- I think everyone knows this to be true.

So -- why not plan for 2011 and beyond if the decision has already been made to blow it all up and start over?

In a perfect world? I'd love to see Eddie D. and his sister bury the hatchet -- Eddie takes control of the team with the caveat that young Jed comes along in a mentorship role.

Once Eddie has control of the team again -- he knows exactly what buttons to push and where to push them.

He built an empire before from ashes. He's got the template. He can do it again.

I want that first win too, and we will get it. This will not be a 0-16 team for sure. We just have to be patient with this season and continue to root for our squad.

In the meantime, thanks for participating in the thread Bird. This was really a tough thread to start because I didn't want to be the one to instigate the start of this thought process. Still, I think the time is now to look to the future and stop dwelling on the negatives of this season.

We already know and feel deep in our hearts that Singletary AND Alex are not right for this team. We already know we need an experienced NFL exec to control the operations of the team. We know already that we have talent and it needs new leadership, development and coaching.

So why not start now? Have a lil fun in trying to assemble a front office and new coaching staff with a dash of new player blood at key position like QB, pass rusher, CB in next year's draft.

Again, if you don't want to particpate, that's OK. For those that do, you have a place to do it.

So definitely a GM to start, huh? A lil WCO will go a long way and it may be the remedy to bring back fans as most didn't like the digit (Coryell) system over the last four years since Norv.

I love Gruden, but after doing more research on his tenures, he does lose players with his anger management issues when he's losing. I believe Harbaugh is a fine candidate as well after reading about his system and what he's doing in Stanford.

How ironic is that?

I am sure there's a huge WCO tree out there and we can pull from the brightest. It will be the GM's job for sure.

I have no problem with the thread just the timing. A lot can change between now and January. You have to wait and see who gets fired at the end of the year. I alluded to it in another thread (i.e. Dal fires Wade, SD fires Norv).

If you start this thread now it will be pages full of just speculation. We won't make any significant hires in season even if Singletary was to get fired on Monday.

Of course it's speculation, but the fact is that Singletary and Alex won't be here even if they do well. Singletary has lost the respect of many in this org and I believe Jed, too. Again, total spec on my part.

So what? We have better things to do? Write better posts on better threads? All those threads out there delving in maddening spiral arguments with no end.

It's a Wednesday -- so I am a bit calmer today and I'm tired of writing "BENCH THAT MAN" lines about our QB. Everyone knows how I feel. No use in beating that dead horse silly.

I'd just like to find out where these "Dingleberry is likely gone" reports are coming from. And I have a feeling that some people (reporters) know exactly where it's coming from. They're just not revealing sources yet.

It would be nice to be "in the know" for once.

I'll get back to you next Monday.

Go Niners!!!! See ya then.

How ironic is that?

It's a Wednesday -- so I am a bit calmer today and I'm tired of writing "BENCH THAT MAN" lines about our QB. Everyone knows how I feel. No use in beating that dead horse silly.

I'd just like to find out where these "Dingleberry is likely gone" reports are coming from. And I have a feeling that some people (reporters) know exactly where it's coming from. They're just not revealing sources yet.

It would be nice to be "in the know" for once.

Personally I think it's Mike Johnson.
Originally posted by ALL-KNOWING:
This team wins the NFC west..... Singletary stays and A.Smith moves on.

i think the opposite....if we turn it around, then alex gets a stay of execution
i think singletary has been exposed for not really being a head coach, hes done unless we get to the championship game
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
bump

-People have asked about GM candidates, there are some listed on the 1st page. If Jed opts to keep Baalke in his current role, then it makes sense to hire a proven HC, that has proven he can build winning teams/organizations.

-If Jed decides to take a chance on a 1st timer (which won't sit well with the fans, but WTF do they know?), I like Marc Ross (Giants), and Pat Shurmur (Rams OC, Andy Reid protege) as HC. They must give the rookie HC an experienced coaching staff, a failed HC as a coordinator, for ex.
Quote:
Well, to all you guys who said Singletary was wrong and that Raye was wrong and that Alex was wrong, you're right. I may not have liked how venomous and rude some were about it, but your're still right. So now what?

Well being one of the guys who was proven right. I got to tell you, the Franchise I have been most impressed with since 2006 is the Jets. Thats how you build a team right there.

Steal from them.

Grab Brian Schotty, make him an HC, he will pick an OC. They will draft and develop a QB.
The Future of Our Beloved Niners after 2010....

Unless we get rid of the owners
It's going to be a very odd year for coaching changes.

You're an owner, and you want to make a coaching change for 2011. Here's what you're thinking about as this disappointing (presumably) season winds down:
1. There's a very good chance the new coach won't have access to the players beginning in March, when a potential lockout would happen. He may not have access to the players until a new labor deal is signed, which seems more and more like it won't happen until at least the summer. And that's being optimistic.
2. The new coach won't be able to work with his new staff very much either, because most teams will put assistant coaches on varying part-time contracts. The new coaches won't be in the building much, if at all, during a work stoppage.
3. The big-name coaches -- Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden -- will be in play. But will you want to lock them in at a big number for 2011 if you're not sure when or if you'll be playing football?

"What all that means,'' one head coach not on the hot seat told me Friday, "is an advantage for the in-house candidate unlike there's ever been. Financially and functionally, the top coordinator makes sense more than it ever has.''
In Minnesota, after Monday's firing of Brad Childress, Leslie Frazier will have a six-week audition as interim coach to prove he's the man long-term as well. In Cincinnati, if Marvin Lewis leaves, firebrand Mike Zimmer could ascend to the job, with offensive coordinator Bob Bratkowski staying in place. In Dallas, Jason Garrett, who has righted the ship in just two weeks, might make the point moot anyway because owner Jerry Jones already seems to be thinking of giving him a shot to win the job in 2011*. In Carolina, there's not an obvious guy in-house, though owner Jerry Richardson wants to keep the coaching payroll down, so he could think of promoting from within.

*Jones inquired about whether he could make Garrett the permanent coach without opening up the job for interviews after the season. The NFL has a policy, known as the Rooney Rule, that requires each team with a coaching opening to interview at least one minority candidate. And Jones has been told that, whether he intends to hire Garrett or not, he'll have to abide by the Rooney Rule once the season ends.
"I can't imagine what the landscape would be like,'' the current head coach said, "if a new coach walks into his first team meeting on August 11th and says to his team, 'OK, guys, we're switching from the 3-4 to the 4-3, so here's the new defense. And we're going to run the West Coast offense now. We play a game that counts in three weeks. Let's get to work.' I mean, it's impossible. That's why the in-house candidate will be more attractive than ever. When I talk to other coaches, we all see which way it's going. And I'd be surprised if there were a lot of changes that went to guys who planned to come in and change everything.''

I'm hearing more and more that Gruden could live with another year at ESPN -- he has one hard-and-fast year left on his contract there -- but would love to be in play for the right job. I think Cowher would go only to a place where the circumstances were right, and that job might not exist this year. The third-most desirable guy (unless John Fox's star is not totally tarnished by this awful season in Carolina) might be Stanford coach Jim Harbaugh, who I think would love an NFL job someday. This just might not be the day. Even if potential franchise quarterback Andrew Luck leaves Stanford early, the weirdness of the 2011 landscape may make college a lot more desirable in 2011 for Harbaugh.

So add that little wrinkle to what promises to be a year unlike any other in recent NFL history in 2011

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/peter_king/11/21/monday-morning-qb-week-11/index.html#ixzz162tMdPIH

Great points! But it doesn't bode well for us.

Eric Decosta for GM!
Looks like a real good candidate to take the next step!

I sure like this guy and seems like a very successful scout and GM in waiting. Doesn't look like Newsome is going anywhere soon so he should be ripe for the picking.
NT...I think it's appropriate to think about those things now. Even if we beat Seattle, the likelihood of beating SD and St L on the road are slim to none. I'm predicting best case we finish 6-10. In light of the recent Eddie D interview wherein he said he has confidence Jed will make some tough/bold decisions after the season that will shake things up, there may be some legitimate hope.
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
What gives me hope is that this is a talented team. A good coach and GM could come in and turn things around next year. Thank goodness we do not have to start over completely.

I agree. A lot of pressure on Jed York to fix their front office, and coaching inadequecies. If they don't upgrade in QB this offseason, there are going to be even more angry fans revolting on the revolting situation under center.
Well, if the Niners are thinking GM first they had better start lining up interviews. If they wait to hire a GM any longer we could miss out on the better coaching prospects.

s for a coach, I would like to see either an up and coming OC from around the league, or a top collage coach, no more retreads like Ericson.

I think the best place for a retread is at the coordinators position, Del rio at DC and Mc Daniels at OC? IDK but somebody with real full time top level abilities at the coordinators would be great!
Originally posted by NinerGM:
Wow this thread was prophetic.

It's the Mayan in me.

Also Golitta, Denver is now looking for a GM, too. However, we do have some very good options at GM:

Former Broncos GMs John Beake and Ted Sundquist
Baltimore Ravens personnel men George Kokanis and Eric DeCosta

Will Lewis (Seattle Seahawks), George Paton (Minnesota Vikings), Les Snead (Atlanta Falcons) and Tom Telesco (Indianapolis Colts).

Here's some more of them...former Tennessee Titans general manager Floyd Reese and former Washington Redskins GM Charley Casserly

Up-and-coming executives Omar Kahn (Pittsburgh Steelers) and Dough Whaley (Buffalo Bills).

I can see the GMs and HCs pretty well, but what about defensive coordinators? I can see us going after Phillips to keep the 3-4 intact. How about 4-3 D coordinators?

Do you guys know of any available who have been successful?
[ Edited by ninertico on Dec 8, 2010 at 1:59 PM ]
Share 49ersWebzone