LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 231 users in the forums

The Future of Our Beloved Niners after 2010

Shop Find 49ers gear online
"So this is another fine mess you got us into Ollie!"

Wow! Another year of waiting for the offseason, again! How many times, right? Well, to all you guys who said Singletary was wrong and that Raye was wrong and that Alex was wrong, you're right. I may not have liked how venomous and rude some were about it, but your're still right. So now what?

This thread is dedicated to what view as Niner fans we have for our future. We now have lots to discuss and keep in mind that we will get soooooo many differences of opinion that we must be civil and see if from all angles and of course, POV. We as a fan base now have to deal with another rebuilding scenario except this time it starts at GM.

So who are likely candidates at GM with experience, respect and power within the executive ranks of the NFL? Will Jed hire a GM to begin with? I believe so. He's too inexperienced as well as Baalke to take on such a role. Therefore, I see Jed already scouring the executive field of play for his new general.

I see this GM firing Singletary, hiring an offensive-minded HC probably in the WCO mold in order to take advantage of all the resources available in the 49ers' archives. So which HC candidate fits that mold? Here's another thing to talk about.

Then who will the HC hire as OC AND DC? I just don't think Manusky will be here next year especially if they clean house. Then this leads us to think are we keeping the 3-4 or going back to the 4-3 base? Who could that new DC be?

On the flip side, who could possibly be the new OC candidate? What ties may he have to our past and would any of these candidates have connections to our past.

Hey, will the GM bring back the past to infuse with the new as I thought Singletary would do, but didn't. Instead, we have our past greats going to our opponents for pep talks. Sorry, I digressed, but you get the picture.

So, here goes...

GM--The only one that I know about is Eric Decosta from Baltimore, Newsome's protoge. Here's a list I found from FLA49er on another website:
Jason Licht
Floyd Reese
Eric DeCosta
George Kokinis
Steim Keim
Ron Hughes
Reggie McKenzie
Marc Ross
Kevin Colbert
Nick Caserio

I will be researching this list which is a great one to boot. Nice job FLA49er!!!

HC--Of course Gruden for me because of his ties to our WCO past, his charisma, and his experience at HC and play calling.

OC--Gruden and ? Who could he mentor and prime for taking the job from him? I believe Gruden would hire a QB/ass't HC to coach and develop the new QBs.

DC--Keep the 3-4 or bring back the 4-3. Who?

QB--IMO, Alex, Carr AND Smith will be gone. Therefore, I see a new FA, Nate Davis, and a rookie to become our new QB squad. I just don't see Alex staying in anyway. Thank goodness next year's QB draft class is a beauty.

Man, lots to discuss so fire away.

Mods, I didn't see anything like this so I wanted to create a thread to channel the discussions instead of creating fifteen thousand and five threads on ea.

[ Edited by ninertico on Oct 13, 2010 at 09:44:06 ]
Meh. Too early. I say we win 3 in a row heading into the bye.

You can give up on the season, I won't.
Originally posted by Method:

It's not giving up on the season. The writing is on the wall whether you turn a blind eye to it or not.

We can still root for our team to win games like kickin' the s**t out of the Faiders on Sunday. But, we can still look to the future, right?

Sure its a lil early, but it allows a place to go for those who want to discuss it. Obviously, you don't which I can respect.

Still, I have not given up on our team's season. I have given up in believing that Singletary and Alex are our future.

Therefore, the thread lives...
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Agree that the first hire should be a reputable GM with wide ranging personnel authority, but an edict to try to "make lemonade from lemons". That is, try to make the best of the roster as it is and build from there. That would include finding a coach to do so.

Let him choose the coaching staff that he think will best be able to max the potential of the players that are already here.

This would be right way to do things. I have my doubts that that will happen.

The franchise needs emergency room/triage level help because ownership/front office doesn't know what they are doing. To get that help they need to hire an experienced GM to turn things around. Basically ownership needs to keep its' nose out of personnel day-to-day operational matters in the same way that Singletary needs to keep his nose out of the offense.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Thanks for the props. It should read "Steve" Keim from the Cardinals, not "Steim." Steve.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Originally posted by Method:

1 win would be nice first.
  • FL9er
  • Veteran
Originally posted by kray28:
Agree that the first hire should be a reputable GM with wide ranging personnel authority, but an edict to try to "make lemonade from lemons". That is, try to make the best of the roster as it is and build from there. That would include finding a coach to do so.

Let him choose the coaching staff that he think will best be able to max the potential of the players that are already here.

This would be right way to do things. I have my doubts that that will happen.

The franchise needs emergency room/triage level help because ownership/front office doesn't know what they are doing. To get that help they need to hire an experienced GM to turn things around. Basically ownership needs to keep its' nose out of personnel day-to-day operational matters in the same way that Singletary needs to keep his nose out of the offense.

They do, it's just that the people they leave in charge, SUCK, for lack of a better word. Somehow their hires completely backfire on them. I would like to see Jed reach out to an Ernie Accorsi, Bill Parcells, Marty Schottenheimer, just for advice on what to do. Not necessarily hire them, because they're burnt out/retired, but just advice.
The fact that "reports" are slipping out that indicate Dingleberry is as good as gone -- it looks like someone high up in Niner Central has indeed "written off the season" and is looking forward.

So -- I think this thread is warranted. As a fan? I hate to write off the season in early October -- but facts are facts. We all know -- deep down inside -- that it would take a bloody miracle for this Niner team to run off a stretch of wins and get back into the NFC West race.

Whether you're a fan of the QB or not -- I think everyone knows this to be true.

So -- why not plan for 2011 and beyond if the decision has already been made to blow it all up and start over?

In a perfect world? I'd love to see Eddie D. and his sister bury the hatchet -- Eddie takes control of the team with the caveat that young Jed comes along in a mentorship role.

Once Eddie has control of the team again -- he knows exactly what buttons to push and where to push them.

He built an empire before from ashes. He's got the template. He can do it again.

But -- that's just my little dream.
York's pick for new GM -- No One, same as we have now.

York's pick for new HC -- Another wannabe with no HC experience (see Sing, NoWin)

49ers' QB -- either continues to be Alex, with yet another system and coaches, or a rookie, or a very used NFL QB as an interim QB.

Once again we go into rebuild mode.

York's stadium -- Will get delayed, as Yorks find that their sources of OPM (Other People's Money) dry up -- no $$ left in the NFL stadium fund, season ticket holders don't feel like buying PSL's for York's train wreck.
What gives me hope is that this is a talented team. A good coach and GM could come in and turn things around next year. Thank goodness we do not have to start over completely.

What worries me is what if their is a lockout in 2011 then what
I have no problem with the thread just the timing. A lot can change between now and January. You have to wait and see who gets fired at the end of the year. I alluded to it in another thread (i.e. Dal fires Wade, SD fires Norv).

If you start this thread now it will be pages full of just speculation. We won't make any significant hires in season even if Singletary was to get fired on Monday.
The thing that sucks is that we are going to have to live with this season for 2 years. The strike is coming and it is going to suck big time.
Originally posted by billbird2111:
The fact that "reports" are slipping out that indicate Dingleberry is as good as gone -- it looks like someone high up in Niner Central has indeed "written off the season" and is looking forward.

So -- I think this thread is warranted. As a fan? I hate to write off the season in early October -- but facts are facts. We all know -- deep down inside -- that it would take a bloody miracle for this Niner team to run off a stretch of wins and get back into the NFC West race.

Whether you're a fan of the QB or not -- I think everyone knows this to be true.

So -- why not plan for 2011 and beyond if the decision has already been made to blow it all up and start over?

In a perfect world? I'd love to see Eddie D. and his sister bury the hatchet -- Eddie takes control of the team with the caveat that young Jed comes along in a mentorship role.

Once Eddie has control of the team again -- he knows exactly what buttons to push and where to push them.

He built an empire before from ashes. He's got the template. He can do it again.

But -- that's just my little dream.

I like the dream man, I really do. I think most would love to see that happen.

I want that first win too, and we will get it. This will not be a 0-16 team for sure. We just have to be patient with this season and continue to root for our squad.

In the meantime, thanks for participating in the thread Bird. This was really a tough thread to start because I didn't want to be the one to instigate the start of this thought process. Still, I think the time is now to look to the future and stop dwelling on the negatives of this season.

We already know and feel deep in our hearts that Singletary AND Alex are not right for this team. We already know we need an experienced NFL exec to control the operations of the team. We know already that we have talent and it needs new leadership, development and coaching.

So why not start now? Have a lil fun in trying to assemble a front office and new coaching staff with a dash of new player blood at key position like QB, pass rusher, CB in next year's draft.

Again, if you don't want to particpate, that's OK. For those that do, you have a place to do it.

So definitely a GM to start, huh? A lil WCO will go a long way and it may be the remedy to bring back fans as most didn't like the digit (Coryell) system over the last four years since Norv.

I love Gruden, but after doing more research on his tenures, he does lose players with his anger management issues when he's losing. I believe Harbaugh is a fine candidate as well after reading about his system and what he's doing in Stanford.

How ironic is that?

I am sure there's a huge WCO tree out there and we can pull from the brightest. It will be the GM's job for sure.

This thread gives me a lil solace in a time of madness.

Originally posted by BETTERDAYZ9ERS:
I have no problem with the thread just the timing. A lot can change between now and January. You have to wait and see who gets fired at the end of the year. I alluded to it in another thread (i.e. Dal fires Wade, SD fires Norv).

If you start this thread now it will be pages full of just speculation. We won't make any significant hires in season even if Singletary was to get fired on Monday.

Of course it's speculation, but the fact is that Singletary and Alex won't be here even if they do well. Singletary has lost the respect of many in this org and I believe Jed, too. Again, total spec on my part.

So what? We have better things to do? Write better posts on better threads? All those threads out there delving in maddening spiral arguments with no end.

Here, we have a place to get away.

[ Edited by ninertico on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:02:16 ]
  • kray28
  • Veteran
Regardless of what happens the rest of the way...Singletary has confirmed for me that he must go. The guy is not qualified to be a coach at this level....for various reasons.

So in certain ways, this disastrous start is a catharsis that may benefit the team in the long run by removing an unqualified and in over his head coach from his position of power, and force ownership to bring in some grownups for a change.

We could go undefeated from here on out, and I'd still want Singletary gone.

So there's nothing wrong with the timing at all. Season is done from any reality based assessment. We need to spend the rest of the season giving some of our young talent (like Mays, Crabs, Dixon, Adams) reps and experience, and we need to determine if Smith should stay or go.

[ Edited by kray28 on Oct 13, 2010 at 11:00:41 ]
Share 49ersWebzone