LISTEN: Reacting to the 49ers Drafting Ricky Pearsall →

There are 454 users in the forums

Offensive Line Issues

Shop Find 49ers gear online
no .. Alex Smith's s**ttiness is becoming Alex Smith's nemesis
Let's not vilify the young man, he looks very good sometimes, he just makes rookie mistakes. It was a gamble to start two rookies, and it has killed the offense the first few games. I have faith that the kid will come around and we will eventually have a stout line that can help our skill players produce.
Mike Singletary is this team's nemesis:

“I think Mike was trying to follow through with what we had talked about during the week. This is not a game that we wanted to go in and just throw the ball all over the place"

YUP, he's still putting his hands on this Offense.
Nah man, Davis was good against the Falcons and Saints and ok last week. The Chief game was the one game he looked completely horrible. Other that than game, he's been a decent RT considering his age. Dude is only going to get better.
Originally posted by binary2nd:

“I think Mike was trying to follow through with what we had talked about during the week. This is not a game that we wanted to go in and just throw the ball all over the place"

Much as I want to see the team open it up and try to get closer to a 60-40 ratio rather than 50-50, I agree with the staff that trying to get the run going was the right thing to do going into the Philly game.

Philly's been vulnerable to the run, especially the power game, and at first glance one would think that's how SFO would exploit them. In practice, it didn't happen and the 49ers did not adjust. That the initial gameplan called for a lot of running doesn't bother me a bit... when they didn't adjust to a team who'd sold out to stop the run and was leaving huge holes in the secondary, that did bother me.
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by adembroski:
Anthony Davis is the single biggest problem the 49ers offense has. He overextends on pass protection virtually every play. NFL defensive ends toy with him. Based on what I see in each game, I can't imagine NFL teams aren't laughing at him in the film room before each game.

He's terrible. Maybe he'll improve, but I haven't seen an ounce of promise out of him since training camp. More importantly, whether he improves in the long run is meaningless in the context of this season.

As far as I'm concerned, he's currently the single worst offensive starter in the NFL.

Funny how Alex Smith can suck for 6 years and people are still on his band wagon, yet you want to take a 21 year old offensive lineman out and shoot him after 5 whole games.
Originally posted by adembroski:
Originally posted by binary2nd:

Much as I want to see the team open it up and try to get closer to a 60-40 ratio rather than 50-50, I agree with the staff that trying to get the run going was the right thing to do going into the Philly game.

Philly's been vulnerable to the run, especially the power game, and at first glance one would think that's how SFO would exploit them. In practice, it didn't happen and the 49ers did not adjust. That the initial gameplan called for a lot of running doesn't bother me a bit... when they didn't adjust to a team who'd sold out to stop the run and was leaving huge holes in the secondary, that did bother me.

I understand your point. But they'd used the same gameplan in every single game, regardless of opponent. There are three exceptions: third and long, when we are behind, and two-minute drills. They should also recognize that our Oline simply cannot execute power running on a consistent basis, regardless of opponent. Also, they should've recognized that PHI was probably EXPECTING them to come out running, it would've caught them off-guard if we opened up with the pass.

This is the same type of strategy Herm Edwards used to use. If a team is weak at run D, then run right at them. The problem is, most modern defenses can stop the run if they know WHERE it's going and WHEN it's coming. Our coaches don't understand that it is the threat of the pass that really destroys teams, even when it comes to implementing the run.
That's pretty f**king obtuse to compare a rookie tackle showing 'rookie mistakes' to a guy who's sucked his entire life (Kwame).

Anthony Davis (again) has shown some monster shines of brilliance thus far that Kwame never showed his entire career. Like that tackle in the Falcons game which led to the Vernon Davis Touchdown, and the monster block that chumped Sedrick Ellis' right-hook DT stunt (in the Saints game) which secured Alex a passing lane to throw that 2-pt conversion to Vernon to tie the game.

Davis is struggling in mid-field situations thus far, but he's been kicking ass in the red-zone (where we need him most). Anthony is one of the biggest reasons Alex has that misleading "redzone efficiency" stat right now.

Oh and even Jake Long would look like s**t with Chilo Rachal playing next to him.
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by posayshoohaa:
no .. Alex Smith's s**ttiness is becoming Alex Smith's nemesis
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
That's pretty f**king obtuse to compare a rookie tackle showing 'rookie mistakes' to a guy who's sucked his entire life (Kwame).

Anthony Davis (again) has shown some monster shines of brilliance thus far that Kwame never showed his entire career. Like that tackle in the Falcons game which led to the Vernon Davis Touchdown, and the monster block that chumped Sedrick Ellis' right-hook DT stunt (in the Saints game) which secured Alex a passing lane to throw that 2-pt conversion to Vernon to tie the game.

Davis is struggling in mid-field situations thus far, but he's been kicking ass in the red-zone (where we need him most). Anthony is one of the biggest reasons Alex has that misleading "redzone efficiency" stat right now.

Oh and even Jake Long would look like s**t with Chilo Rachal playing next to him.

This is pretty damn accurate. The Chief game was the only time he was horrible.

he's having some rookie struggles, as is Iupati, but I don't think he's anyone's "nemesis." the entire line has been spotty at best. I think he has a bright future but something needs to be done along the O-line, and if it includes benching Davis, then I'm all for it. Put Sims at RT and Snyder at RG. When Heitman comes back, put him at C and Baas at RG, or Hetiman at RG.
  • susweel
  • Hall of Nepal
Davis is a pretty decent player considering he is only 20 years old. Dude is going to get better.

Joe Staley has also gotten beat a lot this year and he gets a free pass.
Originally posted by jones49:

This is pretty damn accurate. The Chief game was the only time he was horrible.

i pretty much agree with all this, but i don't understand whats "misleading" about Smith's "redzone efficiency." We've played well in the red zone, we just haven't gotten there very often.

Davis is struggling in mid-field situations thus far, but he's been kicking ass in the red-zone

... so has Alex. Coincidence?
How about benching Rachal instead? We all know about Snyder at RT. He can't run block and is just as bad in pass protection as Davis. Put a steady veteran like Snyder, Baas or Heitman at RG next to him and I think he does a lot better.
Share 49ersWebzone