LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 237 users in the forums

Now that I have rewatched the game...

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by Nes49:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
Did re-watching the game change to score?

I'M GETTING SICK OF TRYING TO JUSTIFY THE POOR PLAY OF THIS ENTIRE TEAM.

LOL...

That right there is the definition of "Missing the Point".

Moving on....

Sorry, still angry....but should we do from here on out?

The team isn't playing poorly, but stupidly.

WE should still support the team out there on gameday and keep making noise.
Really great OP. Being at the game I had the same gut feeling about Alex, but it's nice to hear some confirmation. I'm not sure about the play calling though. I was one of the people actually booing the obvious running plays that we saw in the FIRST 2 Qarters. But thats the problem, we only get aggressive when our backs are absolutely against the wall. The last two games we have a great opening drive and then suddenly take our foot off the peddle, until we fall behind a td or two.

[ Edited by Oakland-Niner on Oct 12, 2010 at 10:36:16 ]
simple solution. stop the f**king turnovers!!!! We do that, we win 3 of our last 5 games.
  • Nes49
  • Veteran
Originally posted by darkknight49:
Did re-watching the game change to score?

I'M GETTING SICK OF TRYING TO JUSTIFY THE POOR PLAY OF THIS ENTIRE TEAM.

LOL...

That right there is the definition of "Missing the Point".

Moving on....

Sorry, still angry....but should we do from here on out?

The team isn't playing poorly, but stupidly.

WE should still support the team out there on gameday and keep making noise.

All I know/feel is - we should NOT be 0-5! Each game...somebody on this team screws up somewhere...& it costs us.
Originally posted by SybErkRimInAL:
simple solution. stop the f**king turnovers!!!! We do that, we win 3 of our last 5 games.

and yea, Crabs has abnormally long arms. I wonder what his wing span measures at?

Wingspan Measurements

'09 Draft Class Receivers

Michael Crabtree: 34.25"

Kenny Britt: 34"

Darrius Heyward-Bey: 33.625"

Jeremy Maclin: 32.5"

Percy Harvin: 31.625"

Brian Robiskie: 31.5"

Derrick Williams: 31"

'09 Class Offensive Linemen

Eugene Monroe: 33.875"

Jason Smith: 33.75"

Michael Oher: 33.5"

Alex Mack: 33"

Eben Britton: 32.75"

Notable Current NFL WRs

Calvin Johnson (6'5"): 33.375"

Braylon Edwards (6'4"): 33.125"

Brandon Marshall (6'4"): 32.625"

Vincent Jackson (6'4"): 33.625"
Originally posted by cwilson830:

2) Johnson: I was reading yesterday that there were peeps here who were critical of MJs playcalling. WATCH THE GAME AGAIN. He was AGGRESSIVE. The Niners punted ONCE until 5 min left in the 3rd quarter and only punted 3 times in the entire game. One of those punts came after three consecutive incomplete passes. EVERY SINGLE ONE of the turnovers happened on a drive in which the 49ers had gotten a first down. They were moving the ball. The second Gore fumble was after back to back playes of 25 yards (pass to Davis) and 17 yards (run by Gore).

After watching this game again, I am not concerned at all about the playcalling.

I agree with you on most of your points, but not on this. Johnson was only aggressive after running for scant yardage up the middle on pretty much every first down in the first half.

Try watching the game again and pause it right before the ball is snapped each play - then "guess" if the Niners will run or pass. I bet you'll guess correctly almost every time. Then take a look at Philly's D, and how they're filling the box. Yep, they they know it too.

It's been pretty well established (from week one) how to stop the Niners offense: load the box on early downs early in the game. Regardless of how poorly the Niners are running the ball, they will continue to try to pound it up the middle, until they are down multiple scores. This will result in lots of second and third and long's, where you can take advantage of the young O-line and a non-superstar QB.

Yes, attempting to establish the running game is important, but not when the other team knows it's coming. Then, it's just stubborn and counterproductive.

If you told me Jimmy was back in the coaching box on Sunday, I'd believe you.

TOTALLY disagree. The Niners ran the ball because the Eagles had shown a vulnerability to the run.

NEWS FLASH:

"Running the ball isn't a bad thing".

MJ tried to run the ball early on and has limited success.....and then called for a 20 yard pass route on 3rd and ONE. Thats NOT passive. He called a number of deep pass plays throughout the game (and Alex elected to hit an intermediate route instead).

Jimmy Raye would still have been running the ball with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Michael Crabtree has had his best 2 weeks of the season back to back under MJ and this last one was his best of his career. BOTH Davis and Crabtree were over 100 yards with a TD.

If you don't see the difference, then you don't WANT to see the difference.
  • Brew
  • Veteran

Simon buey
Originally posted by sachie23:
Its not that Smith doesn't play well at times...he does. It's that if you give him enough rope he will hang himself over and over again. His turnovers and miscues have cost the team 3 games this season. I thought Collinsworth did a great job of pointing out some of the things he is doing wrong and how tentative he plays. (i.e. not throwing the ball to VD on the blitz that resulted in the fumble and throwing a mid range route when Ted Ginn was wide open for a TD).

Ted Ginn was not open. Collinsworth is a moron and didn't realize that the safety over the top stopped paying attention to Ginn AS THE BALL WAS COMING OUT OF SMITH'S HANDS. Ginn had position on the DB that was covering but the Safety had great position and would have had a hell of a chance to make the play if Smith threw it to him. Collinsworth was pointing out how it looked after the ball came out, when the Safety obviously was changing what he was doing.
Originally posted by valrod33:
and yea, Crabs has abnormally long arms. I wonder what his wing span measures at?

Wingspan Measurements

'09 Draft Class Receivers

Michael Crabtree: 34.25"

Kenny Britt: 34"

Darrius Heyward-Bey: 33.625"

Jeremy Maclin: 32.5"

Percy Harvin: 31.625"

Brian Robiskie: 31.5"

Derrick Williams: 31"

'09 Class Offensive Linemen

Eugene Monroe: 33.875"

Jason Smith: 33.75"

Michael Oher: 33.5"

Alex Mack: 33"

Eben Britton: 32.75"

Notable Current NFL WRs

Calvin Johnson (6'5"): 33.375"

Braylon Edwards (6'4"): 33.125"

Brandon Marshall (6'4"): 32.625"

Vincent Jackson (6'4"): 33.625"

Thats insane. He's only 6'1" and has longer arems than all of those 6'4" and 6'5" guys AND all of those linemen.

It actually makes him EFFECTIVELY TALLER...IE his maximum catch point is similar to a taller man.

Yes. The defense hasn't been forcing any turnovers lately either. I notice they aren't swarming to the ball. Had they been, they might have recovered that fumble.

They wait for the runner to come to them, instead of running up and tackling. They stand there, giving the RB space, get juked and miss-tackle. Driving me nuts.
Originally posted by NinerPrideinNJ:
The Smith apologists blow my mind....

So what you guys are saying is that the best game of his career was a loss in which he had 3 turnovers.

I mean, I guess I have to agree but that fact speaks volumes to his ineptitude as a QB in this league.

I'm tired of this and I'm not going to let him go free of blame for another game/week/season.

He's garbage pure and simple. Good QB's know how to win games and eliminate turnovers, no matter what the circumstances. He can't do either. Let's also remember that he's got an abundance of talent around.

Everyone can look good sometimes. His bright spots are far too infrequent, too inconsistent and never come through when the game's on the line.

...and the Smith haters drive me nuts. No matter what the guy does, you would hate him. I'm not saying he's the best QB in the world, I'm just saying that he played well. If you were OBJECTIVE, then you would see that.

Objective is seeing that he had 3 costly turnovers and didn't win the game. That doesn't constitute "playing well" in my book and I don't think it does in anyone else's as well.
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by sachie23:
Its not that Smith doesn't play well at times...he does. It's that if you give him enough rope he will hang himself over and over again. His turnovers and miscues have cost the team 3 games this season. I thought Collinsworth did a great job of pointing out some of the things he is doing wrong and how tentative he plays. (i.e. not throwing the ball to VD on the blitz that resulted in the fumble and throwing a mid range route when Ted Ginn was wide open for a TD).

Ted Ginn was not open. Collinsworth is a moron and didn't realize that the safety over the top stopped paying attention to Ginn AS THE BALL WAS COMING OUT OF SMITH'S HANDS. Ginn had position on the DB that was covering but the Safety had great position and would have had a hell of a chance to make the play if Smith threw it to him. Collinsworth was pointing out how it looked after the ball came out, when the Safety obviously was changing what he was doing.

Not only that, but it was driving me crazy when he would criticize Smith after making a 15 yards completion for a first down instead of throwing it deep. If he is checking it to a RB for a 2 yards gain...OK, I get it, but they got 15 yards and a first down. Please Shut Up.
An excellent post. Here are my thoughts:

1) Alex Smith was the least of our problems in this game. His fumble was horrible, and it cost th team points, but other than that throw, he was pretty terrific. The Niners were constantly in long yardage situations due to the enormous amount of offensive penalties and negative yardage runs.

On the two INT's, I don't see a huge issue with either. The second one, he was hit as he threw. That was Davis' fault. On the deep INT, the team was in a 2nd and 13, and even if the pass falls incomplete, the chance of a team converting a 3rd and 13 is microscopic in this league. So, I call it an excellent punt, since it pinned the team on the three yard line. This was not a bad INT, unlike throwing an INT in the red zone.

2) The Niners' rookies played horrible. I know Singletary wants to get them PT, but this performance was ugly. Davis was spun around like a top all game, Iupati blew a couple blitz assignments and had a couple penalties, Mays took a horrible angle in the McCoy TD run, Bowman was juked on Kolb's long 3rd down run. They were just a mess all over the field, especially in critical situations.

3) The defense is just as inconsistent as the offense. It wasn't a good effort. This has been a trend all season. The vaunted defense is fifth worse in the NFL in points allowed, 130. Shockingly, the offense has fared better, being the sixth worse in points in the NFL.

4) Singletary's argument with Smith is a joke. A teacher should never argue with a student, especially in the middle of class, and in front of their parents and the world. You don't like the way he plays, bench him and insert a new player. No debates on the sidelines. It just shows that you do not have control of the team.

5) This was another team loss. Five turnovers, and tons of silly penalties (10 penalties) are going to sink a team. If this happened in one game, you call it a fluke. However, this is a trend, and this lack of discipline falls back on the coach.

6) Singletary has built this team on two principles: a tough defense and a smashmouth offense (whatever that means). What do we have? A leaky defense, and an anemic running attack that ranks 30th in the NFL, and 7th worst in yards per carry at 3.7. Gore ran for 2.9 yards a carry in this stinker. Can we stop playing games and put in our best OL from last year, Heitmann? I mean, how much longer can Rachal blow assignments before he gets benched?

People want to blame Smith for the problems of this team, and they have their right. However, when the two main principles of this team are faulty, it is hard to assign the blame on only one player on the team.

[ Edited by MadDog49er on Oct 12, 2010 at 10:47:58 ]
The Smith apologists blow my mind....

So what you guys are saying is that the best game of his career was a loss in which he had 3 turnovers.

I mean, I guess I have to agree but that fact speaks volumes to his ineptitude as a QB in this league.

I'm tired of this and I'm not going to let him go free of blame for another game/week/season.

He's garbage pure and simple. Good QB's know how to win games and eliminate turnovers, no matter what the circumstances. He can't do either. Let's also remember that he's got an abundance of talent around.

Everyone can look good sometimes. His bright spots are far too infrequent, too inconsistent and never come through when the game's on the line.

...and the Smith haters drive me nuts. No matter what the guy does, you would hate him. I'm not saying he's the best QB in the world, I'm just saying that he played well. If you were OBJECTIVE, then you would see that.

Objective is seeing that he had 3 costly turnovers and didn't win the game. That doesn't constitute "playing well" in my book and I don't think it does in anyone else's as well.

OK, if you say so. My job here isn't to convince the inconvincable. Feel free to hate the guy if it makes you feel better.

BTW, Looking at numbers without perspective is NOT objecive BTW. Did you know that Joe Flacco and Bruce Gradkowski have almost identical QB Ratings? I guess they are the same OBJECTIVELY, right?

Moving on...
Share 49ersWebzone