Originally posted by Leathaface:
Originally posted by Gavintech:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by valrod33:
Smith wasn't the sole reason. He was equally culpable with Gore. The offense has been more responsible for our losses this season than the D.

I don't know about that. Gore had 2 turnovers that were his fault (great plays by the D too) but didn't do much in the running game to help the team win. 52 yards on 18 carries isn't going to cut it, especially when you put the ball on the carpet twice.

Alex's fumble was all on him. Bad in more ways than one (he never should have rolled out there in the first place) but he had over 300 yards and 3 TDs.

I'd still say they equally hurt us since Smith's fumble was returned for 6. Either way, the point is the offense hurts the team too much with TOs and 3 and outs. The D is going to break at some point.

so whats your excuse for the D when we score on the opening drive against the Eagles then they march right down the field and score to tie it up...

The Bears D was able to stop the Panthers after The Bears QB threw 4 ints and 63 yards for the entire game

But, but but... It's a QB-driven league!

I think you forgot to mention the Panthers QB's threw 3 combined INTs. They also had 4 fumbles but none were lost.

"Face!"

Exactly. I didn't see much of the game, only what they showed on the RedZone channel. That's the point. The Bears D stopped them, those three INTs was part of stopping them. It's pretty cut and dry what happened when you win a game by 17 points and your QB throws 4 picks and only 63 yards. Forte was the offense, the D did the rest. Even dealing with 4 picks.

Dude the Panthers have quite possibly the worst passing offense I've ever seen. I did watch large chunks of that game for Forte. It reminded me of the Cody Pickett/Ken Dorsey 49ers.

the Niners-Panthers game will tell a lot about the state of our pass defense--which makes most ( all?) opponents look good.
Smith wasn't the sole reason. He was equally culpable with Gore. The offense has been more responsible for our losses this season than the D.

I don't know about that. Gore had 2 turnovers that were his fault (great plays by the D too) but didn't do much in the running game to help the team win. 52 yards on 18 carries isn't going to cut it, especially when you put the ball on the carpet twice.

Alex's fumble was all on him. Bad in more ways than one (he never should have rolled out there in the first place) but he had over 300 yards and 3 TDs.

I'd still say they equally hurt us since Smith's fumble was returned for 6. Either way, the point is the offense hurts the team too much with TOs and 3 and outs. The D is going to break at some point.

so whats your excuse for the D when we score on the opening drive against the Eagles then they march right down the field and score to tie it up...

The Bears D was able to stop the Panthers after The Bears QB threw 4 ints and 63 yards for the entire game

I think you forgot to mention the Panthers QB's threw 3 combined INTs. They also had 4 fumbles but none were lost.

"Face!"

Exactly. I didn't see much of the game, only what they showed on the RedZone channel. That's the point. The Bears D stopped them, those three INTs was part of stopping them. It's pretty cut and dry what happened when you win a game by 17 points and your QB throws 4 picks and only 63 yards. Forte was the offense, the D did the rest. Even dealing with 4 picks.

Yeah but the Panthers QB is about as good as ours.
Did the Bears defense stop them or was it just poor play like our QB not making smart decisions? I wish we play against QB's like Alex Smith who try to throw passes while falling down or throw right into a defenders stomach.

My point is that Alex has been throwing to the defense or giving it to them when he had other open options on that play. That's not good defense, that's poor QB'ing.

So Clausen and Moore threw for over 300 yards and 3 TDs? The Panthers QB(s) didn't even throw for 100 yards or one TD. Chicago's D is good but so is Philly's. Actually before Sunday Philly's D was ranked higher than the Bears. Just stop posting, you're not capable of clear or critical thought.

Clausen is a rookie QB who has 1 TD and 3 Interceptions. His best game was 188 yards. He has thrown under 61 yards in two games and a 4th game with only 146 yards. Moore has thrown 0 TD and 1 Interception on the season.

Really? It's not only the Bears who have been able to "stop" these guys. They aren't doing anything against any teams.

Why don't you look at more than one game before you begin to claim a defense was great even though they played against crap QBing. You combine crap QB against a top 15 defense and you have a near shutout.

You claimed the Bears won while throwing 4 INTs because of their defense not at all acknowledging that the other teams crap QB's threw 3 INTs and that EVERY team has been able to stop those QB's and you're telling me to stop posting?

But I guess our QB turning the ball over almost 3 times per game means nothing. Now include even more turnovers by our offense overall and you say it's the defense's fault?

This offense has 6 fumbles lost and 9 INTs. That's 15 turnovers in 5 games!

This defense has gotten 5 turnovers in 5 games but no one talks about the fact that our offense should be turning those 5 turnovers into TD's. You can't make up for 15 turnovers! Seriously?

Well...to be honest, 1 of the TOs was FUMBLED on the return, another was recovered with 30 seconds on the clock before halftime, and another was intercepted at the 5 (so needed a 95 yard drive).

The Niners did score 3 off the first INT of the season.

Got anything else?

Yes....your a genius....the TOs are killing us. Only 99% of people know that. That doesn't mean the D doesn't have a part to play in this losing streak.

[ Edited by Marvin49 on Oct 12, 2010 at 12:17:05 ]
Originally posted by dwy621:
Originally posted by Marvin49:
"Mr. Checkdown" threw for over 300 yards and complete SEVERAL passes of 15 to 20 yards and a few of 30-40 yards.

STOP listening to Collinsworth. He doesn't know the reads on a play. Just because a guy appears open, that doesn't mean you throw to him. If he's the second read but the first read is wide open, you throw to the first read.

You really have to consider the type of D the EAgles starting playing the 4th Qtr. It was more of a prevent and soft coverage.

Who said anything about the 4th quarter? He did it all game. WATCH THE GAME AGAIN.

I did watch the yesterday and I agree that Smith played better than I thought when I saw it live. I'm just saying that a majority of those 300 yards came in the 4th qtr.

Smith is as good as his Oline will play. He needs a perfect pocket in order to to anything.
Smith needs the perfect pocket because he has bad footwork--he should watch Joe Montana tapes all offseason and learn from the master.
"Mr. Checkdown" threw for over 300 yards and complete SEVERAL passes of 15 to 20 yards and a few of 30-40 yards.

STOP listening to Collinsworth. He doesn't know the reads on a play. Just because a guy appears open, that doesn't mean you throw to him. If he's the second read but the first read is wide open, you throw to the first read.

You really have to consider the type of D the EAgles starting playing the 4th Qtr. It was more of a prevent and soft coverage.

Who said anything about the 4th quarter? He did it all game. WATCH THE GAME AGAIN.

I did watch the yesterday and I agree that Smith played better than I thought when I saw it live. I'm just saying that a majority of those 300 yards came in the 4th qtr.

Smith is as good as his Oline will play. He needs a perfect pocket in order to to anything.
Very similar to what Favre did yesterday.
Nice Thread....

"Face!"

Did the Bears defense stop them or was it just poor play like our QB not making smart decisions? I wish we play against QB's like Alex Smith who try to throw passes while falling down or throw right into a defenders stomach.

My point is that Alex has been throwing to the defense or giving it to them when he had other open options on that play. That's not good defense, that's poor QB'ing.

So Clausen and Moore threw for over 300 yards and 3 TDs? The Panthers QB(s) didn't even throw for 100 yards or one TD. Chicago's D is good but so is Philly's. Actually before Sunday Philly's D was ranked higher than the Bears. Just stop posting, you're not capable of clear or critical thought.

Clausen is a rookie QB who has 1 TD and 3 Interceptions. His best game was 188 yards. He has thrown under 61 yards in two games and a 4th game with only 146 yards. Moore has thrown 0 TD and 1 Interception on the season.

Really? It's not only the Bears who have been able to "stop" these guys. They aren't doing anything against any teams.

Why don't you look at more than one game before you begin to claim a defense was great even though they played against crap QBing. You combine crap QB against a top 15 defense and you have a near shutout.

You claimed the Bears won while throwing 4 INTs because of their defense not at all acknowledging that the other teams crap QB's threw 3 INTs and that EVERY team has been able to stop those QB's and you're telling me to stop posting?

But I guess our QB turning the ball over almost 3 times per game means nothing. Now include even more turnovers by our offense overall and you say it's the defense's fault?

This defense has gotten 5 turnovers in 5 games but no one talks about the fact that our offense should be turning those 5 turnovers into TD's. You can't make up for 15 turnovers! Seriously?

THAT is your support for saying the Panthers QBs are as good as the 49ers?
  • Hopper
  • Veteran

"Face!"

15 turnovers in 5 games and people are whining about the defense. Unbelievable.

Very similar to what Favre did yesterday.
Alex made a few plays when the pocket broke down on Sunday.
playing one great game of your life still doesn't justify all the time he's had to consistently play his heart out!

he's had how long...? still we get the same Alex. Ok, most who rewatched this game says he played an excellent game. what about the other games he's played, lousy!!!
in the end he makes bad throws and bad decisions!

I still say Alex is not the guy! and i don't think we got the right coaches in to prep our players every week!

"Face!"

They've actually won a game because their QB and the team wasn't handing the ball to the opposition. You can't win like that. We are not 0-5 because of poor play throughout a game by our defense. We shouldn't even be in 3-point games at the end if our offense doesn't keep helping the other team.

Our QB has made more mistakes than any other QB in the league and anyone else on this team. Therefore he is the primary reason we are losing.

"Face!"

They've actually won a game because their QB and the team wasn't handing the ball to the opposition. You can't win like that. We are not 0-5 because of poor play throughout a game by our defense. We shouldn't even be in 3-point games at the end if our offense doesn't keep helping the other team.

Our QB has made more mistakes than any other QB in the league and anyone else on this team. Therefore he is the primary reason we are losing.

Panthers are 0-5

"Face!"

Panthers are 0-5

My bad. s**t! We are as bad as the Panthers who have crap at QB.
  • Dino
  • Veteran
^^ lmao
  • dmax
  • Veteran
Originally posted by dmax:
Originally posted by NineFourNiner:
It's funny to me that people think there are glaring problems on D when the offense has turned the ball over 15 f**king times. The problems on D are a result of the offenses inability to move the ball consistently and the offenses propensity to turn the ball over.

That explains why Kolb and an RB with broken ribs carved 'em up on Sunday?

The defense gave up 20 pts. 7 of which came on a drive that started from midfield. They were consistently put in bad spots.

The defense got a 4th down stop after another offensive turnover.

The defense is put under such strict scrutiny bc we're having to rely on them so much because of the offenses ineptitude.

The defense is getting enough stops to give the offense a chance.

15 turnovers. If you can't realize that the turnovers by THE OFFENSE are the reason we're losing, you don't understand football and there's nothing left to discuss.

BS... The saints were pinned back on their side of the field.. Yet your "great " defense let them march down the field to kick a fg. Against the falcons the niners had them inside the 10 yrd line and they marched down the field to kick a fg...are u really that blind?. This defense is garbage...greg manuskey is garbage. Great defenses dont let this happen. What else ya got?

Yea against the world f**kin champion Saints QB'd by Drew Brees. Think for a second, genius. Did you forget how many TOs the offense had in that game as well?

Against the Falcons, the game in which we gave up 16 pts?

Like I said, the TOs by the offense put the defense under more scrutiny than normal. But that's a sentence that's too complicated for you to try understand, so don't try. You might get a headache.

Ok genius.. I dont care who the qb is, nor how many TO's a team has The defense is paid to STOP the offense. In both of those games "YOUR GREAT DEFENSE" failed to do so, not one ounce of pressure on brees nor on ryan when it mattered the most. Was that to complicated for you?..maybe it was

"Face!"

Calling serious BS on that one.

It appears he has made the most mistakes because he has the ball on every play. If a WR has the ball bounce off his should and picked, its the fault of the WR even if its credited to the QB. If the Lineman can't make a block that gets a QB hit as he throw and picked...thats the fault of the RT even when the INT goes to the QB.

Smith doesn't play in a vacuum. His teammates are just as responsible as he is. Yes, he has thrown a few bad passes, but recievers have run the wrong route, passes have been defelected by DEs, Recievers haven't flashed in front of a DB as they were supposed to...the list goes on and on.

EVERYONE on this team has been inconsistant...not just the QB.
Share 49ersWebzone