There are 62 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Any chance Sing lit a fire under Smith ala TE Davis?

I've been a niners fan all my life(23 years) and I have never heard Candlestick be that pissed off. In a way it was good to see the fans express their emotions about this team. Now i know we're 0-5 and we have every right to be pissed off. I just think how the fans displayed their anger is what we needed. I know that may sound weird but as niners fans we deserve a hell of a lot better and I just hope last night proved our point.
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
it's amazing what a quarterback can do when defenses are playing soft to preserve a lead and run the clock out....knowing eventually that the other teams quarterback will make a mistake

And we get to see it all again next week!
  • ptw1
  • Veteran
Originally posted by GoldenIowa49er:
it's amazing what a quarterback can do when defenses are playing soft to preserve a lead and run the clock out....knowing eventually that the other teams quarterback will make a mistake

While Sing hasnt been successful as a coach and never deserved the position and Alex hasnt been a good QB, they are not losers. I would guess that both have been more successful than u, in life. Dont make the remarks personal. It makes all of us fans look bad.
90% of Alex's struggles are psychological and have been psychological IMO. We've seen this throughout his career. Last night after he went back in he is just chucking the ball around and not thinking about it too much. We saw it agaisnt Houston last year too. He wasn't expecting to play so he just threw it in there when he got in during the second half.

Alex sometimes thinks too much. Then he hesitates. The hesitation leads to the ball being off or late and sometimes high. Also holding it too long where he sometimes fumbles. He gets unsure and second guesses himself. You just have to chuck it in there in the NFL. He plays best when he just throws and doesn't think.

IMO he can throw the ball. But it's the hesitation and insecurity that bites him sometimes.
Originally posted by KezarLivin:
Lee Hammer says no.
Lol
Well, there you go.
If Sing didn't we as fans sure as hell did.

Originally posted by SanDiego49er:
90% of Alex's struggles are psychological and have been psychological IMO. We've seen this throughout his career. Last night after he went back in he is just chucking the ball around and not thinking about it too much. We saw it agaisnt Houston last year too. He wasn't expecting to play so he just threw it in there when he got in during the second half.

Alex sometimes thinks too much. Then he hesitates. The hesitation leads to the ball being off or late and sometimes high. Also holding it too long where he sometimes fumbles. He gets unsure and second guesses himself. You just have to chuck it in there in the NFL. He plays best when he just throws and doesn't think.

IMO he can throw the ball. But it's the hesitation and insecurity that bites him sometimes.

I think that's a fair assessment. If you're a golfer you get this: you can't think about your swing while you're swinging, you should've done that before you addressed the ball.
Originally posted by EdEs:
Title says it all. It would have been great if we would have won. Im not sure that we will win 6 games this season but I sure hope so. Davis was inconsistent until Sing straightened him out by kicking him off the field. Any chance that Sing straightened out Smith by barking at him on the sideline? I guess im scurrying for any piece of hope. Zone what do you think?

I've been thinking this all day, not sure why... I've been pissed at Alex all year. After that game I figure what else do we have to lose? Let's go Alex, BELIEVE!
Originally posted by BubbaParisMVP:

I think that's a fair assessment. If you're a golfer you get this: you can't think about your swing while you're swinging, you should've done that before you addressed the ball.

It's all in his head. If you clear that out he can throw the ball. Like the TD to Davis last night into double coverage. That was a beautiful pass.

It's all in his head. If you clear that out he can throw the ball. Like the TD to Davis last night into double coverage. That was a beautiful pass.

That moment with Sing had to be rock bottom for Alex. Knowing that the whole thing was being played out in front of a national audience (and the insipid commentary of Collingsworth) while a cascade of boos reigned down on top of you. How many of us have ever been in a comparable situation? I tend to think that maybe Alex reached a moment of clairty where he saw that being a cautious game manager led him to that point. Instead of cracking (I'm think how Lienart looked and acted when things weren;t going his way during the preseason) he responded big time. I expect to see something different from him from here out. He has to now play with that mentality. He seem to know he has to play with that mentality. It may not work yet but I bet we get a less cautious QB in the Oakland game. Singletary has to see that the only chance the Niners have is to turn Alex and this offense loose. He has to see that. I want to see it.
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Sing didn't do it. The fans did.

Agree 100%
  • 9r4lf
Originally posted by danimal:
hell yeah. Lets just give Sing 19 more years, at one player motivated per year, a Super Bowl in 2030 is pretty much in the bag

I will take a guranteed superbowl.
  • 9r4lf
Originally posted by BHulman:

That moment with Sing had to be rock bottom for Alex. Knowing that the whole thing was being played out in front of a national audience (and the insipid commentary of Collingsworth) while a cascade of boos reigned down on top of you. How many of us have ever been in a comparable situation? I tend to think that maybe Alex reached a moment of clairty where he saw that being a cautious game manager led him to that point. Instead of cracking (I'm think how Lienart looked and acted when things weren;t going his way during the preseason) he responded big time. I expect to see something different from him from here out. He has to now play with that mentality. He seem to know he has to play with that mentality. It may not work yet but I bet we get a less cautious QB in the Oakland game. Singletary has to see that the only chance the Niners have is to turn Alex and this offense loose. He has to see that. I want to see it.

You just fired me up!
  • Shemp
  • Hall of Fame
Originally posted by EdEs:
Title says it all. It would have been great if we would have won. Im not sure that we will win 6 games this season but I sure hope so. Davis was inconsistent until Sing straightened him out by kicking him off the field. Any chance that Sing straightened out Smith by barking at him on the sideline? I guess im scurrying for any piece of hope. Zone what do you think?

Is the pope Jewish?

I once dated a girl who had been in about a dozen car accidents. I never understood why until I rode with her: she was just like Alex. She'd pull up to an intersection, and I'd look left and right and think intuitively, "after that third car on the left we'll have an opening". But she never trusted that instinct. She'd wait until the opening got there and then sort of double clutch and finally get out into the intersection a split second too late! I was terrified! (I didn't give her 6 years of chances, I never rode with her again!)

But it shows by analogy your exact point.

In fact, it seemed like this year for the first time, Alex seemed to have overcome most of this.

But I think you're right, that when he's under pressure and pressing a little bit, he falls back into old habits.

Who knows if he can ever change. But this season gives me hope he can do it. It also gives me fear he won't do it with us and he'll come back to haunt us for the next ten years.