LISTEN: Are The 49ers Showing Their Hand? →

There are 138 users in the forums

Any chance Sing lit a fire under Smith ala TE Davis?

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Mike Nolan decided to go with JTO because Alex did everything Nolan asked of him which was to be conservative. Yes, JTO was more conservative and that's why he got Nolan's approval.

This playing conservative because of the coaches crap is so far off its not even funny. That's how he plays. He sees the play and then makes a decision more often than making a play.
I highly doubt that will have the same permanent effect on Smith as it did on Davis. Davis is a physical specimen who was bound to reach greatness.
I doubt it. Smith has had late game heroics many times in the past to only fall short by an INT or not score enough. These very few plays are why Smith gets praise from fans....
Originally posted by DaDivaRecieva15:
Sing didn't do it. The fans did.

The fans didn't do s**t. I was at the game and I am sorry but we got some dumb ass fans. We talk about having th e worst team in the league well we have the worst fans as well. I can't believe how many times they were cheering louder when the offense was on the fields vs when the defense was on the field.

Also the booing of Alex was f**king pointless. Did he f**k up. Ya, of course he did. But so did Nedney (missed FG), Gore (two fumbles), defense letting Kevin Kolb run for 18 on 3rd and 17, defense for causing a fumble and then not seeing it lay there on the ground for 10 seconds before some fat ass Eagles linesman jumped on it, so did Morgan for dropping a first down on 2nd and 11 to setup 3rd and long. The list goes on and on. I mean...seriously.

Lets go to the defense. They never seem to step up when we need them. Offense opens the game with a TD, what does the defense do. Let the Eagles march straight down the field. When we got within one TD with 7 minutes left, what does the defense do, let them march down the field for a FG.

Look, Alex hasn't played great but neither has anyone else (except maybe Vernon, guy has been on his game this year..no drops no nothing). Gore's two fumbles were momentum killers. One was the next play after Alex made a great throw on 3rd and 15 to Crabtree for a 1st down.

Up until the fumble Alex has played great. Booing him was retarded. I lost all respect for Sing cause the only reason he was going to pull Alex was cause he heard the boos.
Originally posted by LongTimeNiner:

The fans didn't do s**t. I was at the game and I am sorry but we got some dumb ass fans. We talk about having th e worst team in the league well we have the worst fans as well. I can't believe how many times they were cheering louder when the offense was on the fields vs when the defense was on the field.

Also the booing of Alex was f**king pointless. Did he f**k up. Ya, of course he did. But so did Nedney (missed FG), Gore (two fumbles), defense letting Kevin Kolb run for 18 on 3rd and 17, defense for causing a fumble and then not seeing it lay there on the ground for 10 seconds before some fat ass Eagles linesman jumped on it, so did Morgan for dropping a first down on 2nd and 11 to setup 3rd and long. The list goes on and on. I mean...seriously.

Lets go to the defense. They never seem to step up when we need them. Offense opens the game with a TD, what does the defense do. Let the Eagles march straight down the field. When we got within one TD with 7 minutes left, what does the defense do, let them march down the field for a FG.

Look, Alex hasn't played great but neither has anyone else (except maybe Vernon, guy has been on his game this year..no drops no nothing). Gore's two fumbles were momentum killers. One was the next play after Alex made a great throw on 3rd and 15 to Crabtree for a 1st down.

Up until the fumble Alex has played great. Booing him was retarded. I lost all respect for Sing cause the only reason he was going to pull Alex was cause he heard the boos.

I'm not reading that, but ok....
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by qnnhan7:
"When he went back in the game, I don't think he pressed," Singletary said. "He really played more true to who he is. He threw the ball more clean. I think after the conversation we had on the sideline, he forgot about all the other stuff and just went out and played quarterback -- just played football."

So he basically told Smith to unlearn all the crap they have feeding him and play his game. Like try to be conservative not turn the ball over, we only want you to manage the game. Oh thank you to all our intuitive coaches the last 5-6 years

Really? Do you think this is what the coaches have been feeding him? Is this a fact? I'm sure Martz told him to be safe.

Don't you think the OC is "feeding" him and the QB coach more than the HC? Don't you think they are expecting him to make NFL QB plays or expecting him to throw to open receivers when they are open.

I'm sure Singletary was very unhappy in being forced to say that "he played more true to who he is" because that would go completely against his philosophy, right?

Just because Steve Young had a "subjective" opinion because Ralph asked him what he thought could be happening doesn't make it a fact.

Pretty sure the coaches including Nolan told Smith to be conservative game manager, Nolan mentioned it in his many presser. I would include Singletary in this also from last year until they realized they can't run the ball with Gore with the line they had. Martz didn't tell Smith anything significant other than JTO was already predetermined to be his qb because neither Smith nor Hill knew anything of Martz' system at the time. Plus Smith was injured that whole year so bringing up Martz into the discussion is a none factor as far as his coaching on Smith.
There is no doubt that Smith plays conservative. Whether he is told to play this way or not we don't know, but the whole team to me from game 1 has played nervous and tentative. They are wound up too tight. They say a team will take on the character of its coach and this team has. Singletary is wound up so tight he is ruining this team.

The booing wasnt just for that game it was 6 years of smith sucking and fans finally blowing up about it.
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by jreff22:
maybe, its amazing what some people can do when they are straight pissed off.

Smith basically said that he has been too cautious and that the results are not good. He is now going to let it fling. I sure hope so. Go out there swinging and maybe we have a punchers chance still. I know that watching the Niners trying to move the ball in chuncks through the air is a lot more enjoyable then trying to endure watching a third-rate knock-off of the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens. The Niners needs to open it up big time the rest of the year. Crabtree and Davis need lots of balls thrown their way down the field. The Niners are not going to win (more than occassionally) featuring Gore. Alex you have nothing to lose in San Francisco anymore. Go out there and chuck the ball come hell or highwater.

Hoping for this change as well. It's sad but as a fan I can't help but day dream that we win 9 or 10 games out of the remaining 11 and win our division. But Alex is going to have to start playing like he did in the fourth last night for the rest of the year if we are going to have any chance at running table.
  • EdEs
  • Veteran
Originally posted by BasharCali49:
I highly doubt that will have the same permanent effect on Smith as it did on Davis. Davis is a physical specimen who was bound to reach greatness.

Yeah I think so too. I hope for the best anyways I have just turned 21 and have yet to see a 49ers winning season. I started to watch every game in 2005 but watched most of 2004. So Im going to stick with the 49ers cause odds are I get to see a superbowl with the 49ers in it, in my lifetime.

Originally posted by rawdel:
Originally posted by BHulman:
Originally posted by jreff22:
maybe, its amazing what some people can do when they are straight pissed off.

Smith basically said that he has been too cautious and that the results are not good. He is now going to let it fling. I sure hope so. Go out there swinging and maybe we have a punchers chance still. I know that watching the Niners trying to move the ball in chuncks through the air is a lot more enjoyable then trying to endure watching a third-rate knock-off of the 85 Bears or 00 Ravens. The Niners needs to open it up big time the rest of the year. Crabtree and Davis need lots of balls thrown their way down the field. The Niners are not going to win (more than occassionally) featuring Gore. Alex you have nothing to lose in San Francisco anymore. Go out there and chuck the ball come hell or highwater.

Hoping for this change as well. It's sad but as a fan I can't help but day dream that we win 9 or 10 games out of the remaining 11 and win our division. But Alex is going to have to start playing like he did in the fourth last night for the rest of the year if we are going to have any chance at running table.

Agree
I think Alex did it to himself. I bet he was like "Oh s**t, I frickin nailed Frank Gore in the back! How bad can I be?"
Our defense is a f#%@#$ joke. I can't wait until Haralson and Lawson are gone for good...they both suck ass. I have no idea how you run a 3-4 defense with two OLB's who can't rush the freaking passer...rediculous.

Start Brooks and LaBoy and let those monsters rush the passer every down and you'll see a damn defense...every game Lawson and Haralson start and eventually get replaced by Brooks and LaBoy...can we just start the better players already.
Originally posted by bigwads:
Our defense is a f#%@#$ joke. I can't wait until Haralson and Lawson are gone for good...they both suck ass. I have no idea how you run a 3-4 defense with two OLB's who can't rush the freaking passer...rediculous.

Start Brooks and LaBoy and let those monsters rush the passer every down and you'll see a damn defense...every game Lawson and Haralson start and eventually get replaced by Brooks and LaBoy...can we just start the better players already.

this

Youve pretty much said everything. That last drive, the fans going crazy like they were purposely getting loud to mess up Alex and throw the game. Fans and Coach Sing tried to bury Alex last night, and Alex responds with swagger and precision. He showed more heart last night than Ive ever seen. This is his team. The players believe in him. I believe in him.

Sing, on the other hand, has done nothing but disappoint all year.
Share 49ersWebzone