There are 64 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

ANYONE sticking with Alex Smith?

First post. GREAT TIMING for it. Go ahead and blast me if you want.

I'm a sports writer, so I try and be as objective as possible, and I can't say I agree with most of you regarding Alex Smith. The guy has made a lot of mistakes, but I feel he gets way more blame than he deserves. Being 0-5 will get you that, however.

Anyways, I always read that you guys are tired of SIX YEARS of Alex Smith. It hasn't really been SIX YEARS of Smith. The guy was a rookie in year one, improved A LOT in year two and then missed the next two seasons and a half after the O-line got him hurt (he was hurt in game 3 of season 3 and sat out season 4 hurt again).

He came back in the middle of season five and AGAIN showed promise. This season is his sixth and it's been inconsistency along with every bad break you can think of. Not many are helping either. But I can't say I think the guy is horrible. He looks great at times, and then he'll make the BIG mistake. He looked good tonight. I think the fumble was his only bad play of the night. Pretty costly.

Anyways, it's been six years since the 49ers drafted him but it's really his FOURTH year, and it's like he's been rebooted since coming back... Guy's had a crazy career. I understand Niners' fans being tired of losing, but Alex Smith isn't the reason alone. This team is shooting itself on the foot as a whole. David Carr is not the solution.

People asking for Troy Smith ... I don't know if these people even watch games, but it's alright. Fans are going to be fans and boo the home team.

Get real, can the 49ers do better at QB than Alex Smith at the moment? I don't believe so, although many of you might object. I'd stick with him, though. Season's over regardless and there's no one to "groom" for next season. I'll go on the record and say I think he'll be successful somewhere else after this year. He's got the tools. I believe he'll figure it out.

[ Edited by zocool16 on Oct 11, 2010 at 02:33:24 ]
not even his wife at this point. it's just Alex and his small hands now.
You aren't going to make many friends here!
alex wasnt the one who fumbled twice and missed a field goal. the last int was the line being collapsed into him not allowing him any kind of follow thru, the first Int Ginn couldve looked back atleast instead of running straight to the endzone regardless of how s**t was goin down. smiths mistake was that fumble, thats the only thing that was purely smiths fault. our defense was useless as has been the case all year in situations where we needed a stop. team loss.
This'll probably get locked.

I WANT to believe in Alex Smith, but the organization can only afford to spend so much time on one player before trying to bring other guys in.

To be honest, I believe it all depends on how he responds next week. I don't think there's anything left for the 49ers to do to see if he'll "get it." I think the only thing Singletary hadn't tried was benching him. Given how Alex responded, for his sake, I hope that's what he needed.
Originally posted by zocool16:
First post. GREAT TIMING for it. Go ahead and blast me if you want.

I'm a sports writer, so I try and be as objective as possible, and I can't say I agree with most of you regarding Alex Smith. The guy has made a lot of mistakes, but I feel he gets way more blame than he deserves. Being 0-5 will get you that, however.

Anyways, I always read that you guys are tired of SIX YEARS of Alex Smith. It hasn't really been SIX YEARS of Smith. The guy was a rookie in year one, improved A LOT in year two and then missed the next two seasons and a half after the O-line got him hurt (he was hurt in game 3 of season 3 and sat out season 4 hurt again).

He came back in the middle of season five and AGAIN showed promise. This season is his sixth and it's been inconsistency along with every bad break you can think of. Not many are helping either. But I can't say I think the guy is horrible. He looks great at times, and then he'll make the BIG mistake. He looked good tonight. I think the fumble was his only bad play of the night. Pretty costly.

Anyways, it's been six years since the 49ers drafted him but it's really his FOURTH year, and it's like he's been rebooted since coming back... Guy's had a crazy career. I understand Niners' fans being tired of losing, but Alex Smith isn't the reason alone. This team is shooting itself on the foot as a whole. David Carr is not the solution.

People asking for Troy Smith ... I don't know if these people even watch games, but it's alright. Fans are going to be fans and boo the home team.

Get real, can the 49ers do better at QB than Alex Smith at the moment? I don't believe so, although many of you might object. I'd stick with him, though. Season's over regardless and there's no one to "groom" for next season. I'll go on the record and say I think he'll be successful somewhere else after this year. He's got the tools. I believe he'll figure it out.

ALL CAPS can REALLY emphasize WORDS
Originally posted by Wubbie:

I WANT to believe in Alex Smith, but the organization can only afford to spend so much time on one player before trying to bring other guys in.

To be honest, I believe it all depends on how he responds next week. I don't think there's anything left for the 49ers to do to see if he'll "get it." I think the only thing Singletary hadn't tried was benching him. Given how Alex responded, for his sake, I hope that's what he needed.

By the way, what's the usual reasoning behind a "lock"? I'd think it's a topic that's repetitive or just absurd. Or is it just at the discretion of the moderator?
Originally posted by zocool16:
Originally posted by Wubbie:

By the way, what's the usual reasoning behind a "lock"? I'd think it's a topic that's repetitive or just absurd. Or is it just at the discretion of the moderator?

The reason is usually because there is already a thread pertaining to the same topic. There is an "OFFICIAL Alex Smith thread" that this will more than likely be merged to.
Oh shoot, I see. That's cool. Thanks.
If the backup QB list included someone other than David Carr and Troy Smith... he would get the hook. Seeing as how neither of those guys is going to do something better than Smith, the team needs to keep Smith in there. As hard as this is to believe for some fans, our problems are far, far larger than Smith, and need to be adressed before we even get to the erratic play of Smith.
I love and hate Alex Smith. The dude is terrible, but like one of those UFO whackjobs I just gotta believe.

watching Alex throw interceptions is far more entertaining than watching Carr demonstrate the proper way to assume the fetal position, or watching Sesame Street with Nate Davis.
I certainly have not been a huge fan of Alex Smith but I don't see David Carr or Troy Smith as much better options ...... thank you Singletary for believing QB's are just 1/11 of the offense and nothing more than that.

Alex has had many other players on the team assisting him in being 0-5 ...... including the coaching staff.

[ Edited by 49ERGUY on Oct 11, 2010 at 04:54:05 ]
Originally posted by hondakillerzx:
alex wasnt the one who fumbled twice and missed a field goal. the last int was the line being collapsed into him not allowing him any kind of follow thru, the first Int Ginn couldve looked back atleast instead of running straight to the endzone regardless of how s**t was goin down. smiths mistake was that fumble, thats the only thing that was purely smiths fault. our defense was useless as has been the case all year in situations where we needed a stop. team loss.

i agree
it was a team loss