There are 134 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sando and Williamson on what to do with Smith.

This should be the game plan for Smith:

Do the usual the first qtr which is feed it to Gore possibly go deep once in awhile and see where his accuracy is. Bootleg and throw down feild try sustain drives and keep our d off the feild.

2nd qtr still no points...go into the spread to make AS fans happy...to show at least show that SING is trying to adjust to AS.

Still no points at the half. SIT THE F**K DOWN.

Don't care who plays QB at that point.
Originally posted by digital9er:
This should be the game plan for Smith:

Do the usual the first qtr which is feed it to Gore possibly go deep once in awhile and see where his accuracy is. Bootleg and throw down feild try sustain drives and keep our d off the feild.

2nd qtr still no points...go into the spread to make AS fans happy...to show at least show that SING is trying to adjust to AS.

Still no points at the half. SIT THE F**K DOWN.

Don't care who plays QB at that point.

You are a Judas. You will repent for your sins against Alex Smith at the end of the season.
Great post.

But don't forget that Alex ran that last series against the Saints in 2 minute and called his own plays.

THAT is what this team needs.

Sing needs to tell Johnson to let Smith do his own thing and only send in plays when Smith asks for something with a visual cue.

Like tapping the top of his helmet. Have Johnson have a play ready for him should he NEED something to follow up with in short order.

Smith is fine. Some people around here just don't get that dude is so Smart that he may not have confidence in the play called. I don't believe that he lacks confidence in himself. I think that he's had enough busted plays being sent in over his career that he lacks confidence in them when they don't seem to fit with the flow of the game.

Cause when he runs the Offense on his own dude is pretty damn good. Passes get to the Receivers and he audibles out of trouble when he has time on his side. It's when he doesn't have a lot of time in his favor is when we see issues pop up that he has trouble adjusting to.

I think that he's a hell of a QB when he's let off the bit and is allowed to call his own plays.

~Ceadder
Alex Smith is not the answer. At this point, Smith has had enough chances to at least show some glimpse of hope. Instead, we continue to watch passes glance of an intended receivers hands for interceptions. Any games that Alex Smith starts beyond the 2010 season will only set the franchise another 10 steps backwards.
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by excelsior:
Kevin Lynch's most recent piece said that three of the four teams we played deployed their safeties deep to take away the deep pass. Many of our posters argue that Alex cannot throw the deep pass accurately. Then three defensive coordinators sure missed that. If these DCs shared the view of our posters that Alex was inaccurate deep, why didn't they bait him into going downfield? We have the smartest fans in the world and these DCs should be checking in with them.

Lynch also noted that it meant that these three teams did not play 8 men in the box. So why did our running game not do better?

Did you see Smith complete 3 deep passes? I saw him throw one for PI and two misses where one could have been a TD to Morgan who was behind the coverage.

Wow Joe, I musta missed where the DB covering Davis let Davis go and slid under the Route.

Dude you should be a Defensive Coordinator that works against Smith every game. Just tell the teams that you're applying for that you only want to work against Alex. I'm sure they would take you in a heartbeat bro.

How come Smith could throw deep Passes against New Orleans who had to all but stop Blitzing us because Smith was tearing them up in that 2 minute drill?

Even Gruden and Jaws noticed this and expressed their delight in how Smith looked much better?

You know, generally I can respect where you're coming from. But right now I just cannot get with your opinion here.

Nothing wrong with Smith. I think that it's time to let the reigns go and let him sink or swim. I think that Smith knows how to run this Offense better than anybody else. Only he's not being allowed to. They aren't letting him cut loose and it's making him jumpy when plays sent in fail. Cause ultimately he's the one getting his skull kicked in on every down.

When he's successful he could care less. But when plays and drives stall you know doubt has to be clawing at the back of his mind. And do you blame him? I don't. I think that when his Line fails he has that "Of Course" demeanor. When he fails? "Of Course". When the Line fails? "Of Course".

I've never seen any player have so many setbacks in the history of this game until Smith.

Sad thing is that Sing SEES it and understands this but doesn't know what to do about it.

I say Smith TOLD him what to do when he marched downfield on the Saints like they were a Pee Wee squad. He told Sing, "I got this, now stand back and lemme do my thing".

But Sing didn't see or hear it I guess.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by FiatGlory:
Alex Smith is not the answer. At this point, Smith has had enough chances to at least show some glimpse of hope. Instead, we continue to watch passes glance of an intended receivers hands for interceptions. Any games that Alex Smith starts beyond the 2010 season will only set the franchise another 10 steps backwards.

You wouldn't know the answer if it gave you a hummer and smacked you on your ass.

~Ceadder
Originally posted by Ceadderman:
Kevin Lynch's most recent piece said that three of the four teams we played deployed their safeties deep to take away the deep pass. Many of our posters argue that Alex cannot throw the deep pass accurately. Then three defensive coordinators sure missed that. If these DCs shared the view of our posters that Alex was inaccurate deep, why didn't they bait him into going downfield? We have the smartest fans in the world and these DCs should be checking in with them.

Lynch also noted that it meant that these three teams did not play 8 men in the box. So why did our running game not do better?

Did you see Smith complete 3 deep passes? I saw him throw one for PI and two misses where one could have been a TD to Morgan who was behind the coverage.

Wow Joe, I musta missed where the DB covering Davis let Davis go and slid under the Route.

Dude you should be a Defensive Coordinator that works against Smith every game. Just tell the teams that you're applying for that you only want to work against Alex. I'm sure they would take you in a heartbeat bro.

How come Smith could throw deep Passes against New Orleans who had to all but stop Blitzing us because Smith was tearing them up in that 2 minute drill?

Even Gruden and Jaws noticed this and expressed their delight in how Smith looked much better?

You know, generally I can respect where you're coming from. But right now I just cannot get with your opinion here.

Nothing wrong with Smith. I think that it's time to let the reigns go and let him sink or swim. I think that Smith knows how to run this Offense better than anybody else. Only he's not being allowed to. They aren't letting him cut loose and it's making him jumpy when plays sent in fail. Cause ultimately he's the one getting his skull kicked in on every down.

When he's successful he could care less. But when plays and drives stall you know doubt has to be clawing at the back of his mind. And do you blame him? I don't. I think that when his Line fails he has that "Of Course" demeanor. When he fails? "Of Course". When the Line fails? "Of Course".

I've never seen any player have so many setbacks in the history of this game until Smith.

Sad thing is that Sing SEES it and understands this but doesn't know what to do about it.

I say Smith TOLD him what to do when he marched downfield on the Saints like they were a Pee Wee squad. He told Sing, "I got this, now stand back and lemme do my thing".

~Ceadder

First off Alex does not and has not called his own plays, regardless of what anyone says. If he did rip van winkle would still be OC.

Second, putting Alex in charge is a ridiculous notion. The guy looks lost more often then not. Losses several games cause with a OC like Raye he didn't have the stones to call his own plays and now you think he is Peyton Manning?

Your constant defense of Smith ruins what credibility you have when it is obvious he its deficient art best.
Great post.

But don't forget that Alex ran that last series against the Saints in 2 minute and called his own plays.

THAT is what this team needs.

Sing needs to tell Johnson to let Smith do his own thing and only send in plays when Smith asks for something with a visual cue.

Like tapping the top of his helmet. Have Johnson have a play ready for him should he NEED something to follow up with in short order.

Smith is fine. Some people around here just don't get that dude is so Smart that he may not have confidence in the play called. I don't believe that he lacks confidence in himself. I think that he's had enough busted plays being sent in over his career that he lacks confidence in them when they don't seem to fit with the flow of the game.

Cause when he runs the Offense on his own dude is pretty damn good. Passes get to the Receivers and he audibles out of trouble when he has time on his side. It's when he doesn't have a lot of time in his favor is when we see issues pop up that he has trouble adjusting to.

I think that he's a hell of a QB when he's let off the bit and is allowed to call his own plays.

~Ceadder

Link?
As far as I understood, Smith only called his own plays if the clock did not stop. The clock stopped on every play on that last drive. There was no reason to run the hurry up because his passes were either incomplete or the players got out of bounds... feel free to correct me if I am wrong...
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Williamson is right that Alex needs to be in spread formations. He's wrong about our personnel though. I think our personnel would fit better in spread formations as well. Our OL isn't built for the down running game, because we get very little push. Chilo was supposed to be our mauler but he's a bum, Staley is not a power blocker, and Iupati/Davis are rookies.

We run better out of the spread, block better out of the spread, and throw better, the coaching staff is another story. Fact is, we can't do any worse than we are doing now, the coaching staff has to realize this and change their philosophy like they did last year for 2-3 games, it would do the entire team some good. This style of getting as many fat people as possible across the line and running over the opposition is just dumb.

Let me say that I feel bad writing this... but watching the stubbornness of our coaching makes me want to quit being a 49er fan. It is too infuriating to witness the same game losing decisions each and every Sunday; wrong offense, too conservative of calls, no killer instinct. We watch what works, and then the coaches go away from it and lose the game. It keeps repeating itself, it is a very tired cycle, and it leaves me thinking our team is being lead by one of the least intelligent, and horribly stubborn individuals on the face of this planet. Of course there are a lot of Mike Singletary's in the world, but we don't need them to be our head coach. If Mike can come off of his soap box philosophy of a grind-it-out offense, and just be the motivator that keeps players focused and making the most of their opportunity, he is welcome to stay. At least that is my take as a lifelong fan.

~Ceadder

The deep balls in the Saints game were open by a yard. If its tight coverage but the receiver still has an advantage Alex hasn't show to drop it in there.
Originally posted by NorthNiner:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Williamson is right that Alex needs to be in spread formations. He's wrong about our personnel though. I think our personnel would fit better in spread formations as well. Our OL isn't built for the down running game, because we get very little push. Chilo was supposed to be our mauler but he's a bum, Staley is not a power blocker, and Iupati/Davis are rookies.

We run better out of the spread, block better out of the spread, and throw better, the coaching staff is another story. Fact is, we can't do any worse than we are doing now, the coaching staff has to realize this and change their philosophy like they did last year for 2-3 games, it would do the entire team some good. This style of getting as many fat people as possible across the line and running over the opposition is just dumb.

Let me say that I feel bad writing this... but watching the stubbornness of our coaching makes me want to quit being a 49er fan. It is too infuriating to witness the same game losing decisions each and every Sunday; wrong offense, too conservative of calls, no killer instinct. We watch what works, and then the coaches go away from it and lose the game. It keeps repeating itself, it is a very tired cycle, and it leaves me thinking our team is being lead by one of the least intelligent, and horribly stubborn individuals on the face of this planet. Of course there are a lot of Mike Singletary's in the world, but we don't need them to be our head coach. If Mike can come off of his soap box philosophy of a grind-it-out offense, and just be the motivator that keeps players focused and making the most of their opportunity, he is welcome to stay. At least that is my take as a lifelong fan.

Great post! This team makes it very hard to keep watching every week, but we do it! I just hope the coaching & play can improve at some point!
Search Podcast Draft Forum Commentary News Shop Home