There are 140 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sando and Williamson on what to do with Smith.

Originally posted by swim4speed:
If Alex is still crap by week 8 or so, then I'd prefer to see what Troy Smith or Nate Davis could do!

Alex does not have the IT factor. Who drafted him? Damn it!

Delete your account.
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by Joecool:
Originally posted by Kalen49ers:
Why not go with the type of offense we ran last year in the Jacksonville and @ Seattle games? Mostly spread, with some runs and behind center snaps thrown in. Its clearly where Smith is at his best. What type of offense were we using when Smith looked awesome on that last drive against the Saints? You guessed it. In the Shotgun. Simple.

Does anyone know who our leading receiver was that game?

Frank Gore.

More evidence that we should move to a more spread-oriented attack. Thanks. Gore can still get involved and be a huge weapon, and our Offense looked the best it ever has. Good stuff.

I don't see what we have to lose to incorporate more Spread. Why not try 4 WR set on first and 2nd down some more. Just do the unexpected for once.
This thread rocks.
The thing about what your saying is that our coach doesn't give a f**k about that. He is as stubborn as a rock and doesn't care if one way works better because it's not his way. Until his stupid ass realizes this... we are doomed, and unfortunately, Alex Smith is the main scapegoat. He will probably do better on the team he joins in the summer.
Originally posted by chico49erfan:
The thing about what your saying is that our coach doesn't give a f**k about that. He is as stubborn as a rock and doesn't care if one way works better because it's not his way. Until his stupid ass realizes this... we are doomed, and unfortunately, Alex Smith is the main scapegoat. He will probably do better on the team he joins in the summer.

Everyone sees it but Sing at this point. He'll be gone after this next game if we lose.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Originally posted by chico49erfan:

Everyone sees it but Sing at this point. He'll be gone after this next game if we lose.

Come on. No he won't. You know this. Alex goes first, Sing goes at the end of the season.
Kevin Lynch's most recent piece said that three of the four teams we played deployed their safeties deep to take away the deep pass. Many of our posters argue that Alex cannot throw the deep pass accurately. Then three defensive coordinators sure missed that. If these DCs shared the view of our posters that Alex was inaccurate deep, why didn't they bait him into going downfield? We have the smartest fans in the world and these DCs should be checking in with them.

Lynch also noted that it meant that these three teams did not play 8 men in the box. So why did our running game not do better?
Originally posted by excelsior:
Kevin Lynch's most recent piece said that three of the four teams we played deployed their safeties deep to take away the deep pass. Many of our posters argue that Alex cannot throw the deep pass accurately. Then three defensive coordinators sure missed that. If these DCs shared the view of our posters that Alex was inaccurate deep, why didn't they bait him into going downfield? We have the smartest fans in the world and these DCs should be checking in with them.

Lynch also noted that it meant that these three teams did not play 8 men in the box. So why did our running game not do better?

Did you see Smith complete 3 deep passes? I saw him throw one for PI and two misses where one could have been a TD to Morgan who was behind the coverage.
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by backontop:
great post. I have been saying this for a while now.

Thank you. And I'll add that while Smith may not have the strongest arm in the NFL, he does have a good arm and he can make all the throws. His skill-set isn't all that different than Orton's and Orton is leading the league in passing right now. What Orton also has in common with Smith is that he is better in shotgun, and that is where he lives as a QB.

He can't make all the throws, specifically sideline throws

He misses those the most, but so do most QBs who only get to take a shot once, maybe twice a game. A QB is no different than a shooter in basketball, sometimes he has to get his touches before he gets in a rhythm. The way we call the plays for Smith, he never gets to get in a rhythm... except for in two minute drills where he routinely excels.

I'm telling you, this isn't rocket science. Make me the HC and I'm pretty sure I'll have this kid turning heads in one game.

You head coach? Who the f**k are you lol
I still ding it odd how most liked what they out of Alex and said he will be much better in his second year in the system. These same people didn't have as much of a problem with Rayes offense then. They took Smiths accumulated stats from last completely ignoring the lack of impressive plays made by Smith and the context of his misinterpreted success and they ran with it with rose colored glasses.

Now, Smith really isn't playing much different and has added more INTs than expected and it is all Rayes fault and this philosophy's fault.

Theres a reason why others on here weren't impressed with what he actually did last year. He just isn't that good. He can't drop the ball in between coverage required by an NFL QB. Most throws he makes consist of one defender on one side of the target. He will hardly ever complete a pass to a target that has a defender on both sides of the target.
Originally posted by excelsior:

Smith was top 5 in the NFL in accuracy for passes thrown over 20 yards last season. His ball isn't on the money, but he normally makes a good enough throw for a player to make a play on it.
I still ding it odd how most liked what they out of Alex and said he will be much better in his second year in the system. These same people didn't have as much of a problem with Rayes offense then. They took Smiths accumulated stats from last completely ignoring the lack of impressive plays made by Smith and the context of his misinterpreted success and they ran with it with rose colored glasses.

Now, Smith really isn't playing much different and has added more INTs than expected and it is all Rayes fault and this philosophy's fault.

Theres a reason why others on here weren't impressed with what he actually did last year. He just isn't that good. He can't drop the ball in between coverage required by an NFL QB. Most throws he makes consist of one defender on one side of the target. He will hardly ever complete a pass to a target that has a defender on both sides of the target.

How many balls did he thread in between coverage to VD last season?
  • hb123
  • Veteran

i second this/ +1
  • BobS
  • Veteran
Originally posted by Shaj:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Williamson is right that Alex needs to be in spread formations. He's wrong about our personnel though. I think our personnel would fit better in spread formations as well. Our OL isn't built for the down running game, because we get very little push. Chilo was supposed to be our mauler but he's a bum, Staley is not a power blocker, and Iupati/Davis are rookies.

We run better out of the spread, block better out of the spread, and throw better, the coaching staff is another story. Fact is, we can't do any worse than we are doing now, the coaching staff has to realize this and change their philosophy like they did last year for 2-3 games, it would do the entire team some good. This style of getting as many fat people as possible across the line and running over the opposition is just dumb.

As for the running game, it's finally taken us until week 4 to realize that running Gore against 9 defenders is tougher than running him against 7. Raye never understood this basic concept, and I think MJ does.

how does Smith needing to be in spread formations address the issue of his incredible accuracy problems? I think one of the core issues has been skirted entirely.

Seems like all the delusional fans among us are on Alex's jock again, weak. Alex Smith cannot throw a pass where the receiver can catch it in stride to save his life. He sucks, period, end of story.

You will repent for your sins against Alex Smith at the end of the season.