LISTEN: Final 49ers 7-Round Mock Draft With Steph Sanchez →

There are 279 users in the forums

Sando and Williamson on what to do with Smith.

Shop Find 49ers gear online
Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by aMikeNolanGuy:
Weren't people saying of schedule was favorable and it was supposed to be easy? What happened?

the so called "bad" teams turned out to be pretty damn good.[/quote

It is the stupidest assessment made in all sports. All teams have post seasons and make changes and adjustments to their rosters and coaching staffs. Saying a schedule will be easy or hard based on the results of the previous year is just absurd. Also, remember a lot of the hype is created by the mainstream media that really are clueless of the changes that are made in each team.
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
Quote:
Should Alex Smith remain the starter for San Francisco?

Matt Williamson: I have been a Smith backer -- especially since he just has not had ample opportunity to give up on him. I would say a few more losing games/terrible performances would be enough for me, though. The problem in the big picture is that the staff and most of the offensive personnel is designed to have a power downhill running game. But the "franchise QB" is a soft-throwing spread guy who needs to operate out of the shotgun and have real defined reads. Bad combo.

Mike Sando: Perhaps I'm not giving David Carr enough credit for what he showed with the New York Giants, but I just don't see viable alternatives on the 49ers' roster. Troy Smith arrived too late in the game and hasn't gotten enough practice reps. Nate Davis? The 49ers would have to be in give-up-the-season mode to go that route.

The circumstances in San Francisco have put Smith at a disadvantage. The situation is far from ideal now. I think the 49ers are the victims of a rough early schedule. I suspect their head coach lacks the experience and emotional stability to navigate a team through tough times. No matter. Smith has never been in better position to succeed. He showed something in the New Orleans game. He needs to show much more, but I wouldn't make a quarterback change before the Week 9 bye. That would be the time to re-evaluate.

What I'd say to Matt Williamson is this, why does it have to be a "bad combo", or are you even sure that it is? Honestly, have we really seen this offense ever thrive in the grind it out style? No, we've seen three yards, a cloud of dust, and a punt. The only time we've really seen this offense work is when it is spread out and Smith is in the shotgun. We've seen it against the Saints this year, and also sporadically throughout the season. We also saw it work well last season. Assuming our eyes aren't deceiving us, I think it is safe to conclude that our personnel is overall better in a spread formation than in any other.

And for those saying, "If we had a better QB than Smith we could grind it out." I'd respond with, why would you want to do that? We do have a QB, Alex Smith, and he can move this offense through the air when he is in shotgun. So instead of being stubborn, or wishing we had a QB we don't have on our roster (and what is funny is so many of you would take Brady in a second, even though he lives in the shotgun), lets just go with what works. Lets do what we did to the Saints on the final drive. Our receivers got the ball, our TE got the ball, our RB got the ball, and Smith was able to scramble when he couldn't find anyone. On that drive we moved with great effectiveness and efficiency. We saw our offense thrive, and then we went away with it.

....hopefully we see it Sunday, and for the rest of the season after that. And before you write, "That offense doesn't work in the NFL." I'll say watch a game not involving the 49ers, and pay attention to how often opposing QBs are in shotgun. It might be eye opening for you. It is 2010, not Joe Montana's rookie season.

I agree. I could not care less if this team play spread, WCO, digit or whatever offensive system there may be. I just want them to win, I could not care less about individuals stats either. I could not care less if Tim Rattay was still our QB, if only we were winning.
Alex should play the season, but hopefully he is replaced in the off season, along with all our offensive coach personnel except Solari and Rathman, our head coach.

Alex Smith sucks. This season its over. The Niners will be drafting in the top 10.
[ Edited by WINiner on Oct 7, 2010 at 10:25 AM ]
Originally posted by WINiner:
Alex should play the season, but hopefully he is replaced in the off season, along with all our offensive coach personnel except Solari and Rathman, our head coach.

Alex Smith sucks. This season its over. The Niners will be drafting in the top 10.

Week 5 hasn't even started and people are saying the season is over. Last year at this time we were 3-1 and all feeling like the playoffs were just around the corner.

Week 5 hasn't even started and people are saying the season is over. Last year at this time we were 3-1 and all feeling like the playoffs were just around the corner.

Welcome to the Webzone.
I agree with both assessments and think they should not make any moves before the bye week. The Smith supporters have until then to convince themselves to move on if he turns out to be what many already see.
Originally posted by redrathman:

Welcome to the Webzone.

Anyone who honestly has any faith at all that this season still has promise of success is fooling themselves imo. Look at the stats. Study the history of the nfl. All results for any team that had started with any resemblance of what the Niners have started this season ended with one of the worst records in the entire league.

I personally do not think we have the staff our personnel to pull off a league first.

Look up and see what the best finish by a team that has started the season with our record. The closest I can think of is the Titans who were able to turn it around after a horrible start. Except the Titans have one of the better HCs in the entire nfl and consistency within their coaching staff. They also didn't fire their OC mid season.

Welcome to the Webzone.

Anyone who honestly has any faith at all that this season still has promise of success is fooling themselves imo. Look at the stats. Study the history of the nfl. All results for any team that had started with any resemblance of what the Niners have started this season ended with one of the worst records in the entire league.

I personally do not think we have the staff our personnel to pull off a league first.

Look up and see what the best finish by a team that has started the season with our record. The closest I can think of is the Titans who were able to turn it around after a horrible start. Except the Titans have one of the better HCs in the entire nfl and consistency within their coaching staff. They also didn't fire their OC mid season.

the main reason why you cant giveup on the season this early on is simply coz there's enough talent and potential on the TEAM. the ?? are whether or not sing along with mj can correct the offense which primarily involves getting alex on track.

Welcome to the Webzone.

1992 Chargers did it.
Originally posted by MSteitz468:
1992 Chargers did it.

And while I don't recall the 1992 circumstances the Chargers faced, this season is looking like it is the result of the perfect storm thus far for the 49ers... Being two games back with twelve left to play, I feel like we should all have some optimism in us.

Welcome to the Webzone.

1992 Chargers did it.

Get out of here with your facts and logic!

Welcome to the Webzone.

The Titans weren't in the NFC west, a division full of teams that will have a record of 8-8 at best.

This offense has been moving the ball contrary to what most think. The issue has been drives have gotten killed by fumbles and interceptions.
  • fly15
  • Veteran

Welcome to the Webzone.

1992 Chargers did it.

we have Alex dude
Originally posted by Joecool:

Welcome to the Webzone.

The Titans weren't in the NFC west, a division full of teams that will have a record of 8-8 at best.

This offense has been moving the ball contrary to what most think. The issue has been drives have gotten killed by fumbles and interceptions.

True, true... but we could still move the ball better than we have.
  • dmax
  • Veteran
alex...if coach dingleberry wont do it speak up in team meetings speak up...spread is the way to go man..say it..demand it
Share 49ersWebzone