There are 76 users in the forums

Remember
Not a member? Register Now!

Sando and Williamson on what to do with Smith.

Originally posted by backontop:
Originally posted by binary2nd:
Originally posted by LeadFarmer:
Originally posted by Kilgore_Trout:
great post. I have been saying this for a while now.

Thank you. And I'll add that while Smith may not have the strongest arm in the NFL, he does have a good arm and he can make all the throws. His skill-set isn't all that different than Orton's and Orton is leading the league in passing right now. What Orton also has in common with Smith is that he is better in shotgun, and that is where he lives as a QB.

He can't make all the throws, specifically sideline throws

I agree his deep out is horrible, but his arm is stronger than Orton's. The point is, Orton is put in a position where his skillset is maximized. Orton spent a few years in CHI in a system similar to ours, and he was horrible. Now all of a sudden he's in a system that uses him properly, and he's flourishing. It's not rocket science.

Kind of how Smith shined last year and at times this year when the team turned to the spread offense. Damn you Singletary just play toward the strengths of the players and not your damn ego!

We've been saying this for nearly two full seasons now. Maybe him being on a knee on the sideline, nearly crying after the Atlanta game was a "change" moment for him.

Thank you. And I'll add that while Smith may not have the strongest arm in the NFL, he does have a good arm and he can make all the throws. His skill-set isn't all that different than Orton's and Orton is leading the league in passing right now. What Orton also has in common with Smith is that he is better in shotgun, and that is where he lives as a QB.

I agree his deep out is horrible, but his arm is stronger than Orton's. The point is, Orton is put in a position where his skillset is maximized. Orton spent a few years in CHI in a system similar to ours, and he was horrible. Now all of a sudden he's in a system that uses him properly, and he's flourishing. It's not rocket science.

Kind of how Smith shined last year and at times this year when the team turned to the spread offense. Damn you Singletary just play toward the strengths of the players and not your damn ego!

We've been saying this for nearly two full seasons now. Maybe him being on a knee on the sideline, nearly crying after the Atlanta game was a "change" moment for him.

he probably knows he is half way out the door unless he starts winning football games. He just doesn't realize that he is the problem yet.

He misses those the most, but so do most QBs who only get to take a shot once, maybe twice a game. A QB is no different than a shooter in basketball, sometimes he has to get his touches before he gets in a rhythm. The way we call the plays for Smith, he never gets to get in a rhythm... except for in two minute drills where he routinely excels.

I'm telling you, this isn't rocket science. Make me the HC and I'm pretty sure I'll have this kid turning heads in one game.

Alex has his chance to do it now. If he's man enough, he should have a big say in the gameplanning, his QB coach is now the OC. Part of the responsibility falls on him, he needs to quite being such a baby.

I don't think it is fair to call him a baby. He is a yes man, but it might save his career if he becomes a man that can stand up for himself and say what he needs to occur for him to be successful. Almost everyone can see what that is, and you're right, he needs to be a part of making that happen. But really, the HC also needs to be a major part of it seems fairly obvious that he is the biggest obstacle to this happening.

If only it was the same "change" moment Coffee had. Smith just doesnt have it. He's damaged goods
I say ride him out all season long.

If only it was the same "change" moment Coffee had. Smith just doesnt have it. He's damaged goods

The point is, I'd like to see if he really doesn't have it, by putting him in the best position possible to succeed. What they are doing now isn't working, and it can't get any worse.
Originally posted by aMikeNolanGuy:
Weren't people saying of schedule was favorable and it was supposed to be easy? What happened?

the so called "bad" teams turned out to be pretty damn good.

So far we've lost to two mediocre/overrated teams, and played 2 'legit' teams tough (one that was even a road game). If we had beaten those 2 'legit' teams (sitting at 2-2) we'd still be dubbed the best team in the NFC West cause the other NFCW teams have played nothing but LEGIT s**t teams/home-field advantage bowls thus far (including s**tty divisional rivals).
Originally posted by danimal:
I say ride him out all season long.

One good thing about Alex failing is that it will certainly get rid of Sing as well, plus the early draft pick is cool lol.
Alex needs to grow a set. He will not throw the ball unless his receiver is wide open. I keep hearing people say its the play calling but how do we not know that Alex is not making the right read or decisions.
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:
Weren't people saying of schedule was favorable and it was supposed to be easy? What happened?

So far we've lost to two mediocre/overrated teams, and played 2 'legit' teams tough (one that was even a road game). If we had beaten those 2 'legit' teams (sitting at 2-2) we'd still be dubbed the best team in the NFC West cause the other NFCW teams have played nothing but LEGIT s**t teams/home-field advantage bowls thus far (including s**tty divisional rivals).

and who are the 2 legit teams and who are the overrated teams? Last time I checked the only overrated team is the Seacocks. KC is the only undefeated team left in the NFL right now.

"Damaged goods" that has shown he can go down the field against Super Bowl competition in less than a minute. Check the tape, he has done it against the Colts and Saints. Unfortunately, the coaches limit his opportunities to repeat the performance under the circumstances he seems to flourish under.
Originally posted by SF4EVA:
Alex needs to grow a set. He will not throw the ball unless his receiver is wide open. I keep hearing people say its the play calling but how do we not know that Alex is not making the right read or decisions.

Alex sucks at making the right reads when he drops back from under center. His footwork is horrible and he locks on to one target. It's become more than apparent that he simply sucks at it, he's way more comfortable out of the shotgun. At this point, they need to adjust their strategy regarding Alex, and I hope MJ will do that.
Smith is not in college anymore... he's playing with the big boys now.
you either have it or you don't!!! it's been 6 damn years for him to adjust... and quite frankly, he doesn't have it!!!

let move on soon...!
Originally posted by SnakePlissken:

and who are the 2 legit teams and who are the overrated teams? Last time I checked the only overrated team is the Seacocks. KC is the only undefeated team left in the NFL right now.

Undefeated, but overrated. Teams are eventually going to catch on to Haley's shenanigans, and they'll be back to sucking/trying to catch up with the Chargers by week 12. They're like the 2009 49ers (besides speed options), once teams figure out how to contain their screens/RB/TE Matt Cassel will give them more reasons to pursue a QB in the draft.

Oh and the legit teams: Falcons/Saints. N.O. may have lost a step but they're still a legit playoff contender (on field and paper).
[ Edited by SnakePlissken on Oct 6, 2010 at 5:27 PM ]

"Damaged goods" that has shown he can go down the field against Super Bowl competition in less than a minute. Check the tape, he has done it against the Colts and Saints. Unfortunately, the coaches limit his opportunities to repeat the performance under the circumstances he seems to flourish under.

Most QB's do well in the 2-min drill. The Saints game was a step-forward but since he has taken numerous steps back. I can only think of 2 teams in the NFC with a worse qb situation than us. The Cards and the Panthers